Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Results:

RankPlayerDraft PositionVote %2022 Result2021 Result
1Luke Hughes2021 Round 1 #4 Overall89.1Luke HughesLuke Hughes
2Simon Nemec2022 Round 1 #2 Overall92.5Simon NemecDawson Mercer
3Alexander Holtz2020 Round 1 #7 Overall39.1Alexander HoltzAlexander Holtz
4Akira Schmid2018 Round 5 #136 Overall43.8Arseni GritsyukNolan Foote
5Seamus Casey2022 Round 2 #46 Overall57.6Shakir MukhamadullinShakir Mukhamadullin
6Arseni Gritsyuk2019 Round 5 #129 Overall86.9Fabian ZetterlundKevin Bahl
7Lenni Hameenaho2023 Round 2 #58 Overall55.3Nikita OkhotiukGraeme Clarke
8Topias Vilen2021 Round 5 #129 Overall48.9Seamus CaseyChase Stillman
9Nolan Foote2019 Round 1 #27 Overall46.3Nico DawsNikita Okhotiuk
10Josh Filmon2022 Round 6 #166 Overall43.0Tyce ThompsonSamu Salminen
11Graeme Clarke2018 Round 3 #80 Overall37.3Nolan FooteMichael Vukojevic
12Zakhar Bardakov2021 Round 7 #203 Overall52.1Tyler BrennanJaromir Pytlik
13Nico Daws2021 Round 7 #203 Overall35.8Chase StillmanTyce Thompson

Last Pick: Nico Daws - Utica Comets / AHL

Daws2.jpg
Daws-Jaws.jpg

Added: Peter Hauser

Eligible Players:

Shane Bowers
Cole Brady
Cole Brown
Chase Cheslock
Brian Halonen
Santeri Hatakka
Viktor Hurtig
Charlie Leddy
Nikita Popugayev
Jaromir Pytlik
Samu Salminen
Artem Shlaine
Tyce Thompson
Michael Vukojevic
Yegor Zaitsev

Selected:
Zakhar Bardakov
Seamus Casey
Graeme Clarke
Nico Daws
Josh Filmon
Nolan Foote
Arseni Gritsyuk
Lenni Hameenaho
Alexander Holtz
Luke Hughes
Simon Nemec
Akira Schmid
Topias Vilen
In Poll:
Artem Barabosha
Tyler Brennan
Ethan Edwards
Peter Hauser
Daniil Karpovich
Jakub Malek
Daniil Misyul
Daniil Orlov
Cam Squires
Chase Stillman

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Its hard to pick between Karpovich and Orlov. I give an edge to Orlov because of better positional game, better timings and he is more proven on better levels.
Add Charlie Leddy
While I defer to your prospect analysis, I have at least watched Malek a bit and so can begin to form my own opinion. I don't doubt next season when you post more shift by shift videos I'll have a better feel for these prospects. It was your video work for Gritsyuk and Bardhakov that sold me on them.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I have missed the last couple of these polls because I have been a bit busy. I apologize. My #12 prospect is Jakub Malek. He wasn't even in the #12 poll, so that was an interesting tid bit. I don't really know how Tyler Brennan was in the poll and not Malek. Brennan hasn't showed much of anything so far.

My #13 prospect is Nolan Foote. He was already voted in a while back.

My #14 prospect is Daniil Orlov, but I am voting for Jakub Malek. However, if it is still close by the time the poll is almost up, I might switch the vote to Orlov to try to push him over the edge.

My current rankings:
1. Luke Hughes
2. Simon Nemec
3. Akira Schmid
4. Seamus Casey
5. Alex Holtz
6. Arseni Gritsyuk
7. Lenni Hameenaho
8. Josh Filmon
9. Nico Daws
10. Zakhar Bardakov
11. Topias Vilen
12. Jakub Malek
13. Nolan Foote
14. Daniil Orlov

EDIT: Forgot to put my add. Add Cheslock.

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
While I defer to your prospect analysis, I have at least watched Malek a bit and so can begin to form my own opinion. I don't doubt next season when you post more shift by shift videos I'll have a better feel for these prospects. It was your video work for Gritsyuk and Bardhakov that sold me on them.
I have no issues with Malek. I didnt watched him, I cant evaluate goalie prospects, goalies are really hard to evaluate on my taste overall. Like I said before the difference in 0.5% is huge - 90% goalie is replacable backup, 90.5% goalie is pretty good backup and 91% is a solid starter. 92% goalie is a face of franchise level player. And 0.5% is a very small difference, but effect hugely. I just cant predict it. Goalies translate their game very differently. I can understand if goalie was top-3 or top-5 on every level every year he played. And even than I cant understand how to compare really.
So as a man who doesnt understand, Im not making any estimation on them. Im not telling they are good or bad or okay or they will be good or that is a flash or any other mark. Reason why Im separating goalies from defensemen and forwards. If you are telling that Malek has huge chance to be solid backup or even nhl starter, I easily will put him in top-10 over guys like Bardakov, Foote, Filmon etc. If he has a chance to be starter, than he should be top-5 in our rankings. I just dont know how recognize it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I have no issues with Malek. I didnt watched him, I cant evaluate goalie prospects, goalies are really hard to evaluate on my taste overall. Like I said before the difference in 0.5% is huge - 90% goalie is replacable backup, 90.5% goalie is pretty good backup and 91% is a solid starter. 92% goalie is a face of franchise level player. And 0.5% is a very small difference, but effect hugely. I just cant predict it. Goalies translate their game very differently. I can understand if goalie was top-3 or top-5 on every level every year he played. And even than I cant understand how to compare really.
So as a man who doesnt understand, Im not making any estimation on them. Im not telling they are good or bad or okay or they will be good or that is a flash or any other mark. Reason why Im separating goalies from defensemen and forwards. If you are telling that Malek has huge chance to be solid backup or even nhl starter, I easily will put him in top-10 over guys like Bardakov, Foote, Filmon etc. If he has a chance to be starter, than he should be top-5 in our rankings. I just dont know how recognize it.
I agree it's really tough with goalies. I am not saying Malek impresses me more than Orlov or Karpovich. Right now I just have no frame of reference for them other than what you've told me. I'm excited to learn more about their games this season as the NJ prospect pool starts to turn over. Maybe Nemec hangs around one more season as a prospect. It will be fun to see how the KHL kids and Karpovich grow their games.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I agree it's really tough with goalies. I am not saying Malek impresses me more than Orlov or Karpovich. Right now I just have no frame of reference for them other than what you've told me. I'm excited to learn more about their games this season as the NJ prospect pool starts to turn over. Maybe Nemec hangs around one more season as a prospect. It will be fun to see how the KHL kids and Karpovich grow their games.
I think I'm doing a good job of identifying the strengths and weaknesses of young hockey players and their possible development and problems. So its better to have at least my words than points per game on eliteprospects only. Yeah, I know its not working as argument for everybody even if it worked as pre-fact many times before. As a modest and understanding person, I take this into account, so I politely poke the nose of people who are not aware of the question. Guadanas reverence. (although I'm joking about this, but in fact I need to reconsider this point. As a result, this is a "game" around just an estimated opinion and it's not worth it)
By the way, Bardakov may have been injured again today.

May be we should rank Schmid over Hughes and Nemec. He has good track record, his trajectory is great and if he will be regular 92%+ goalie, he is more important for this team

My3Sons

Sponsor
I think I'm doing a good job of identifying the strengths and weaknesses of young hockey players and their possible development and problems. So its better to have at least my words than points per game on eliteprospects only. Yeah, I know its not working as argument for everybody even if it worked as pre-fact many times before. As a modest and understanding person, I take this into account, so I politely poke the nose of people who are not aware of the question. Guadanas reverence. (although I'm joking about this, but in fact I need to reconsider this point. As a result, this is a "game" around just an estimated opinion and it's not worth it)
By the way, Bardakov may have been injured again today.

May be we should rank Schmid over Hughes and Nemec. He has good track record, his trajectory is great and if he will be regular 92%+ goalie, he is more important for this team
Prospect evaluation is based in part on what you prefer in a player. Some fans just want skill skill skill and hope a player can figure the rest out. They don’t care if there are potential red flags. You and @StevenToddIves look for well rounded talents and look for a player who can contribute in the multiple ways NHL teams actually need. That evaluation aligns wjth what I’d look for if I had the time to look at prospects for myself. So I trust you guys when you offer opinions on players but my hang up is to want to see some video at a minimum to arrive at my concrete thoughts. I understand stat watchers and stats have their place but they are one piece of a bigger puzzle.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Prospect evaluation is based in part on what you prefer in a player. Some fans just want skill skill skill and hope a player can figure the rest out. They don’t care if there are potential red flags. You and @StevenToddIves look for well rounded talents and look for a player who can contribute in the multiple ways NHL teams actually need. That evaluation aligns wjth what I’d look for if I had the time to look at prospects for myself. So I trust you guys when you offer opinions on players but my hang up is to want to see some video at a minimum to arrive at my concrete thoughts. I understand stat watchers and stats have their place but they are one piece of a bigger puzzle.
All *respectable* draft evaluators -- from the big guys like Corey Pronman and Cam Robinson to the HFBoards Devils guys like @Guadana and (formerly, haha) myself incorporate all facets into an analysis of a prospect.

This is to say, of course we pay attention to the stats! But we incorporate them into a greater picture and use context to determine their value. I don't think you'll see any of us ranking a draft-eligible forward in our top 32 overall if he scored 37 points in 70 CHL games regardless of his skill set, and of course we're paying extra attention to a CHL forward who scored 95 points in 70 CHL games even if he's small or slow or has visible weaknesses or whatever.

But a defenseman whose coaches utilize in a shut-down role who doesn't score a ton of points? Obviously the stat sheet means less in this case. Even for forwards -- you'll recall my high ranking of Owen Beck -- who already goes far higher than the early 2nd round in a 2022 re-draft -- who was singularly maligned by people who didn't watch because of modest point totals. But as someone who watched a ton of Mississauga games, this was easily explainable to me in the sense that Beck was used as the team's 2nd line C behind Luca Del Bel Belluz, deployed primarily as a shut-down guy, and rarely got minutes on the top PP or with the team's top scoring wingers. CONTEXT let us know that Beck -- an elite skater with great skill and a high hockey IQ/compete -- was better than the sum of his goals and assists.

This is why the worst draft/prospect evaluators -- and I don't even think we should give the benefit of "evaluators" to less intelligent people like Byron Bader and JFresh, but rather simply call them "rankers" -- always lag behind us and fail at their attempts to grade hockey prospects. Because, while the rest of us are incorporating stats as a piece of the larger picture, myopic stat-heads are using one of our many available tools to singularly rank the prospects. I could give a thousand examples, but suffice to say using one tool out of dozens is simply not enough.

As for @Guadana and myself, when we are pumping up a prospect we quite often encourage you folks to watch them yourselves. Because, don't take our word for everything -- watch these kids and make up your own minds!

Cam Robinson and @Guadana are always providing video with their evaluations on Twitter (can I still call it Twitter?) to encourage fans to watch the prospects with their own eyes and make their own observations. The Baders and JFreshes of the world just post "player cards" with nonsensical numbers on them as if to say "we have all the answers, don't bother watching this guy, he'll never be good because we said so".

Ultimately, you are 100% correct in your observation of stats as a piece of a larger, more complex puzzle. And while no prospect evaluator will be 100% correct, the ones who use more of the observational tools at their disposal will be far closer to that mark than the ones who don't. It's really that simple.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Stillman may sneak in here, but he's only here because Orlov and Karpovich are splitting the 25 votes they have between them. I think likely (and for me surely) they're both ahead of him.

Reactions: Guadana

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Stillman may sneak in here, but he's only here because Orlov and Karpovich are splitting the 25 votes they have between them. I think likely (and for me surely) they're both ahead of him.
also interesting that the total votes drop off at some point, which probably happened earlier in the ranking but i didn’t realize til this poll. I’m sure it’s partly due to lack of familiarity with these later prospects.

Reactions: HBK27 and Nubmer6

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Voted Stillman, I didn't completely give up on him yet, saw some nice things from him during the Memorial Cup tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00