Prospect Info: - 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings: 1st Annual Mike Cichy Award
Prospect Info: - 2013 Habs Board Prospect Rankings Final Results
Prospect Info: - Looking back at 2012 Prospect Rankings

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'll go Kostenko here.

To me Pitlick and Kostenko are the only actual prospects remaining. The rest are just awaiting their rights expiry date.

Vrbetic was decent in the ECHL and is still searching for a team this year. That is a year after his OHL team let him go instead of getting him back as an overager. I expect him to be retired by 2025 or play in a league like the SPHL.

Sobolev has no offence even at the CHL level. I understand he's a defensive D, but even Hal Gill was getting some points. Probably goes back to Russia and play in the VHL.

Gordin has a good shot but seemingly can't get to use it consistently even at the VHL level. Long-term, probably a VHL/KHL tweener.

I'm surprised Minnesota-Duluth decided to still give Smith his scholarship. Didn't even score a single goal in 24 games as a forward and terrible all around since leaving high school. I'd be surprised if he plays 1 pro game.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
To me Pitlick and Kostenko are the only actual prospects remaining. The rest are just awaiting their rights expiry date.

Vrbetic was decent in the ECHL and is still searching for a team this year. That is a year after his OHL team let him go instead of getting him back as an overager. I expect him to be retired by 2025 or play in a league like the SPHL.

Sobolev has no offence even at the CHL level. I understand he's a defensive D, but even Hal Gill was getting some points. Probably goes back to Russia and play in the VHL.

Gordin has a good shot but seemingly can't get to use it consistently even at the VHL level. Long-term, probably a VHL/KHL tweener.

I'm surprised Minnesota-Duluth decided to still give Smith his scholarship. Didn't even score a single goal in 24 games as a forward and terrible all around since leaving high school. I'd be surprised if he plays 1 pro game.
Smith had a good freshman season in sheltered minutes and led his team's forwards in +/-, which has to be used with context but at least it means that he wasn't a net negative out there. Very good athlete and he still has three more years to figure out his offense. Wouldn't write him off just yet.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Smith had a good freshman season in sheltered minutes and led his team's forward in +/-, which has to be used with context but at least it means that he wasn't a net negative out there. Very good athlete and he still has three more years to figure out his offense. Wouldn't write him off just yet.

I don't know how you can call 5 assists in 24 games as a 20 years old a good freshman season with a straight face.

He wasn't even decent in the USHL.

As you said, sheltered minutes, so favorable +/- is expected.

Very good athlete compared to me? Sure. Compared to anyone else in our pool? No.

He's basically forward Casey Staum. Good USHS player that will not translate.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I don't know how you can call 5 assists in 24 games as a 20 years old a good freshman season with a straight face.

Very good athlete compared to me? Sure. Compared to anyone else in our pool? No.

Relative to his performance in the USHL his performance as a freshman on a bad team in a strong conference was satisfying to me. And your athlete comment is strange. Smith is extremely mediocre if not bad as an hockey prospect, but he is a better athlete in the conventional sense than Kidney, Roy, Hutson, Engstrom, Farrell, etc. And Smith is much better than Staum ever was (Staum couldn't even stick as a freshman on an horrible team).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Relative to his performance in the USHL his performance as a freshman on a bad team in a strong conference was satisfying to me. And your athlete comment is strange. Smith is extremely mediocre as an hockey prospect, but he is a better athlete in the conventional sense than Kidney, Roy, Hutson, Engstrom, Farrell, etc. And Smith is much better than Staum ever was (Staum couldn't even stick as a freshman on an horrible team).

I guess if you see it that way, he did have a good freshman season since his USHL play was abysmal. Abysmal enough that is was a pain to know his injuries because no one in the USHL circle cared to ask. It was even hard to know if he was even still part of the Stampede at some point.

What does general athlete have to do with anything? Being an hockey athlete is what matter here and he is not impressive. He can go do track and field if he wants.

Being slightly better than Staum is not impressive. They are still the same, impressive USHS player whose game will not translate.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I guess if you see it that way, he did have a good freshman season since his USHL play was abysmal. Abysmal enough that is was a pain to know his injuries because no one in the USHL circle cared to ask. It was even hard to know if he was even still part of the Stampede at some point.

What does general athlete have to do with anything? Being an hockey athlete is what matter here and he is not impressive. He can go do track and field if he wants.

Being slightly better than Staum is not impressive. They are still the same, impressive USHS player whose game will not translate.
With how adamant he is in his defense of him he either knows Jack Smith or Jack Shith.

:sarcasm:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Does he even get a regular shift this year in his D+4?

James - Steeves - Loheit
Howard - Loney - Olson
McMenamim - Spicer - Biondi
Mylymok - Perkins - Bettens
Johnson - Smith - Kleven
Fischer - Menghini

He better hope they get injuries and the younger guys don't push too hard.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Smith had a good freshman season in sheltered minutes and led his team's forwards in +/-, which has to be used with context but at least it means that he wasn't a net negative out there. Very good athlete and he still has three more years to figure out his offense. Wouldn't write him off just yet.
Yeah Jack Smith surprised me positively at the development camp. I actually think he's one of the better prospects still left to vote on. Most of the ones left I am no longer interested in.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

lmao @ using this logic for +/- but then docking him for his lack of goals. LOL his chance of making the NHL is probably in the neighborhood of 1-2% but your anger at him is laughable. Let it go dude, he was a worthless 4th round pick, he didn't screw your girl.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
lmao @ using this logic for +/- but then docking him for his lack of goals. LOL his chance of making the NHL is probably in the neighborhood of 1-2% but your anger at him is laughable. Let it go dude, he was a worthless 4th round pick, he didn't screw your girl.

I hate people being contrarians just to be contrarians.

Also, it would be 1-2% of playing pro hockey at all.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad