2023 ECHL Summer BOG meeting - expansion to 32 teams authorized and more

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

BOG authorizes expansion from 30 to 32 teams.

In rule changes, cracking down on fighting - players will receive automatic game misconduct for 2nd fighting major in game. And no unauthorized modications to jerseys.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

In rule changes, cracking down on fighting - players will receive automatic game misconduct for 2nd fighting major in game. And no unauthorized modications to jerseys.

How can they authorize expansion from 30 to 32 when they aren't even at 32 yet? The league has 28 teams at the moment.

The last two "expansion teams" who everyone said were happening, but the league never announced, certainly aren't happening. Athens GA has no website, an amateur hour twitter page that appeared to be someones personal page and last posted in May, and New Mexico didn't have anything after the initial announcement.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
How can they authorize expansion from 30 to 32 when they aren't even at 32 yet? The league has 28 teams at the moment.

The last two "expansion teams" who everyone said were happening, but the league never announced, certainly aren't happening. Athens GA has no website, an amateur hour twitter page that appeared to be someones personal page and last posted in May, and New Mexico didn't have anything after the initial announcement.

Here's what the news release says:

• "Increase to maximum Memberships
    • The number of maximum Memberships in the ECHL was increased from 30 to 32".

It does not say that they are expanding from 30 teams to 32 teams , just that the maximimum number of teams in the league will be increased to 32. So they are at 28 now? After this news they can increase the league to 32

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
I’m confused. I thought that the ECHL to Athens GA was a done deal….Is there now a possibility that it doesn’t get off the ground or something? Rio Rancho NM seemed distant but I thought Athens was essentially announced…

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

But that’s the only reason people go to those games.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I’m confused. I thought that the ECHL to Athens GA was a done deal….Is there now a possibility that it doesn’t get off the ground or something? Rio Rancho NM seemed distant but I thought Athens was essentially announced…

All announcements, none of which included anything by the league, said the team was launching in the fall of '23 and they have absolutely no presence anywhere. There is a twitter account with some sort of "Athens GA ECHL" handle but it is a personal account, and even that hasn't posted in months. There haven't been any mention of it in any online news outlet since January of this year.

Here's what the news release says:

• "Increase to maximum Memberships
    • The number of maximum Memberships in the ECHL was increased from 30 to 32".

It does not say that they are expanding from 30 teams to 32 teams , just that the maximimum number of teams in the league will be increased to 32. So they are at 28 now? After this news they can increase the league to 32

That is making the assumption they can get to 32, unsure how they think they can get to that point without having some sort of actual expansion news unless the league's membership cap is really that big of a deal. They've said for years they want to match the number of NHL and AHL teams for a 1-1-1 affiliation agreement.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That's almost unbelievable but great news if it works out. Lake Tahoe seems a bizarre location for the team, could they really not make it work in Reno, where there are, you know, residents who could support a team?

Pro hockey wasn't able to work in Reno. The struggles there are well-documented.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
That's almost unbelievable but great news if it works out. Lake Tahoe seems a bizarre location for the team, could they really not make it work in Reno, where there are, you know, residents who could support a team?
South Lake Tahoe has more than 20k residents.

And tens of thousands who come up for winter sports.

Truckee has 16k+. Incline Village, NV has 9k+. Other small towns may contribute to fan base as well.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Pro hockey wasn't able to work in Reno. The struggles there are well-documented.

They kept trying to put a rink in the convention center, but they just couldn't get it to work. That's pretty much all you need to understand. Besides, it's only an hour's drive if you're that motivated.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
South Lake Tahoe has more than 20k residents.

And tens of thousands who come up for winter sports.

Truckee has 16k+. Incline Village, NV has 9k+. Other small towns may contribute to fan base as well.
20k versus 400k in Reno Sparks. I'm aware it's been a tough but a place with 20k full time residents seems shockingly difficult to me. Like almost everyone I love Lake Tahoe and really want it to work. Tebow can bring some followers too. But reality is that's a tiny market to serve. I lived in Reno long time ago and back then they said nothing sports related would work. AAA baseball seems to be doing fine and G League was working until they moved to Stockton. I think ECHL could work if they got a motivated enough ownership. And the whole it's just an hour drive away argument doesn't really work in that geography during the winter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad