• Coulson Pitre

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
t's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the sixth poll, I am voting for Jackson LaCombe.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings:

1. C - Leo Carlsson (2023 draftee)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (no change)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (no change)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (no change)
5. D - Tristan Luneau (+9)

Our graduates and departures are:

Mason McTavish
Urho Vaakanainen
Henry Thrun
Simon Benoit
Axel Andersson
Sean Tschigerl
Hunter Drew
Thimo Nickl
Olle Eriksson Ek
Bryce Kindopp
Max Golod
Ethan Bowen​

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Hinds is my vote, may not have the scoring upside of a LaCombe or Pastujov perhaps, but he brings a good defensive skill set a physical presence with a good shot a being a top 4 guy. Those are the kinds of guys Blue lines need for contenders, see Hague, Manson, Cernak, Parayko, Orlov, Dumoulin. Every Cup winner has at least one of these guys. Even if they aren’t the meanest, big steady defense is essential.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Hinds was my vote as well, over LaCombe by a hair. Basically for the consensus: if Hinds hits at his peak, he's got a shot to be a potentially elite DFD, whereas I think LaCombe--while still great in his own right--tops out as a jack-of-all-trades defenseman with no one true standout skill.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Going with LaCombe here just because he's older thus more proven, basically. I'm a big fan of Hinds as well

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
It's Gaucher or LaCombe for me here. I went back and forth and talked myself into LaCombe writing this now. He showed last season potential to be a real NHL player which is really hard to ignore. I think he could be a #4-5 defenseman maybe even next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
=== Hinds ===

Hinds has Lindholm defensive vibes in the Dzone. Is quick to the puck, wins the puck, and efficiently gets the puck out. His game has grown tremendously since halfway through his D+0 season, when he was traded to a new team. At the Dev camp, he showed off his shooting skills and it's tantalizing, especially in the shootout.

HindsQMJHLand WJC
SeasonYearTeamGamesGAPtsPPG+/- Comment
D+02020-21Shawinigan
10​
0​
1​
1​
0.10​
3​
Defense, no offense
Rimouski
23​
6​
9​
15​
0.65​
7​
Improved offense
D+12021-22Rimouski
23​
5​
11​
16​
0.70​
5​
Improved offense sustained
Sherbrooke
38​
7​
12​
19​
0.50​
23​
Improved defense
D+22022-23Sherbrooke
56​
11​
43​
54​
0.96​
61​
Improved off & def; Highest +/- for D in league
WJC-20
7​
2​
0​
2​
0.29​
9​
Highest +/- for D on team

There is so much to love about Hinds' potential going forward and much needed defensive talent at the NHL level! Hinds isn't the only defensive-minded d-man going pro next year, though. LaCombe has spent four years learning defense at the NCAA level.

=== LaCombe ===

As @Dryish cited in the Prospect Ranking #5 thread, LaCombe is getting slept on. The one trait that should stand out the most for LaCombe is his skating, which doesn't get a lot of love here. He skates like the wind and is smooth while doing it. Former GM Murray was excited with LaCombe's skating, LaCombe's NCAA coach cited his skating will help him adapt much faster, and new GM PV also raved about this. We all witnessed LaCombe walk the blue line with ease in an NHL game! LaCombe's skating is on par with Zellweger, but Lacombe is 6'2 and 201 lbs.

LaCombe's ceiling is unknown. He converted from forward to defense in high school. From THW's scouting report:

Originally an undersized forward, LaCombe was converted to a blueliner early in his prep school tenure – and then he hit a bit of a growth spurt. Based on Central Scouting’s records, he gained a half-inch of height and roughly 15 pounds during this past season alone. As a result, he’s a smooth-skating blueliner who’s confident in jumping into the rush.
At the prep school level, LaCombe has made a ton of progress with his game. As a 16-year-old, he had five goals and 49 points. As a 17-year-old, he had 22 goals and 89 points – blossoming into one of the most imposing offensive players at his level in the entire country.

Jackson was drafted out of high school, which is a huge gamble due to lower quality of competition. He went the college route to improve his defense as a converted OFD.

LaCombe
SeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPG+/-Block ShotsTeam Rank
D+1NCAA
37​
3​
10​
13​
0.35​
-1​
61​
2nd
D+2NCAA
27​
4​
17​
21​
0.78​
19​
33​
3rd
D+3NCAA
39​
3​
27​
30​
0.77​
23​
64​
1st
D+4NCAA
37​
9​
26​
35​
0.95​
12​
53​
3rd
NHL
2​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
-1​
9​
n/a
Total.
142​
19​
80​
99​
0.70​
52​
220​

The offense took a back seat when LaCombe first started off in the NCAA because his focus on improving his defense. He is avid on getting into shooting lanes and blocking shots, which is shown to be a consistent production throughout his four years in college. LaCombe's offense didn't drop off, though.

At the NCAA level, LaCombe plays in all situations: ES, PP, and the PK. He's been able to play in a lot of high level competitions such as playing in the Big-10 tourney three times (winning it once) and the NCAA tourney three times, getting to the Frozen four twice. LaCombe's come a long way since his unfortunate outing against the Russians at the WJC-20.

PV and Eakins gave LaCombe a huge endorsement by playing him top-4 minutes in his first two NHL games, with an ATOI of 18:29. To put into perspective, fellow prospect D Helleson has played about a season and quarter in the pros with San Diego, but he play playing bottom pairing minutes in his first three NHL games, with an ATOI of 13:39.

Because LaCombe is an NCAA prospect, not many get to see his play on the ice. The two NHL games is probably the extent most Duck fans have seen of him. With our CHL guys, there are video recaps of every game, fans go to watch them play live, or watch them on TV/streaming. That is a significant factor as to why LaCombe doesn't get enough love... outta sight, outta mind.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I went with LaCombe. Hinds is probably my next vote. What is sad is that other than Carlsson it is going to be hard for a forward prospect to be picked until at least number 8. Even then Moore may give that forward prospect a close vote.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I went with LaCombe. Hinds is probably my next vote. What is sad is that other than Carlsson it is going to be hard for a forward prospect to be picked until at least number 8. Even then Moore may give that forward prospect a close vote.

At forward, it's a cluster between Gaucher, Pastujov, Hvidston, and, outside looking in, Kukkonen. Pastajuov's offense went to another level after he was traded.

Pastujov
SeasonTeamGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/Minus
2021-22Guelph
65​
34​
42​
76​
1.17​
-12​
Guelph (Playoffs)
4​
0​
0​
0​
0.00​
-1​
2021-22Guelph
14​
11​
8​
19​
1.36​
-6​
Sarnia
46​
30​
49​
79​
1.72​
31​
Sarnia (Playoffs)
16​
6​
13​
19​
1.19​
-2​

The ceilings are high with Pastujov and Hvidston, but Gaucher is the epitome of consistency and makes it easier for him to find success at the NHL level. Kukkonen being a high-end goal scorer for his rookie year in the NCAA is a dark horse.

Adding Gaucher and Pastujov to the Gulls with Tracey and Perreault could add some serious fireworks for the offense! I think King will get an AHL contract with the Gulls.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Going with pastujov…. Out of our forward prospects I think he has best shot at being a top 6 player

Hinds was my 2nd choice.

Not really big on lacombe and don’t really get the hype, don’t think he does anything well enough on either side of the puck to stay on the roster…. Def have hinds helleson and moore ahead of him

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Going with pastujov…. Out of our forward prospects I think he has best shot at being a top 6 player

Hinds was my 2nd choice.

Not really big on lacombe and don’t really get the hype, don’t think he does anything well enough on either side of the puck to stay on the roster…. Def have hinds helleson and moore ahead of him

That way I see it is:

Pastujov - high ceiling, low floor
Hinds - mid ceiling, mid floor
LaCombe - mid ceiling, high floor
Guacher - mid ceiling, high floor

It's all about your viewpoint on what you value the most. Do you value prospects more because they have a higher potential to be a better player? Or do you value someone's likelihood of becoming an actual NHL player more?

Personally, I think it's about 50/50. I would rank these four in order: LaCombe, Guacher, Pastujov, Hinds. I think Hinds and Pastujov have a higher risk of not being NHL players than LaCombe and Guacher who I think are locks for the NHL at some point.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
That way I see it is:

Pastujov - high ceiling, low floor
Hinds - mid ceiling, mid floor
LaCombe - mid ceiling, high floor
Guacher - mid ceiling, high floor

It's all about your viewpoint on what you value the most. Do you value prospects more because they have a higher potential to be a better player? Or do you value someone's likelihood of becoming an actual NHL player more?

Personally, I think it's about 50/50. I would rank these four in order: LaCombe, Guacher, Pastujov, Hinds. I think Hinds and Pastujov have a higher risk of not being NHL players than LaCombe and Guacher who I think are locks for the NHL at some point.

I think Hinds has one of more solid paths to the NHL because he brings something that Minty, Zell, and Luneau don't have right now, which is shutdown defense. Hinds did win QMJHL defensive d-man of the year. The majority scouting report on Hinds was shutdown D with no offense, implying little to no upside as a prospect. The Ducks pounced on him because the Ducks love late bloomers and Hinds' offense was late blooming. His defense has improved for the past two seasons along with his offense. That's why I said LaCombe and Hinds have an inside track to the NHL.

As for Helleson, I have no idea why kinda d-man he is. Transitional? He isn't a shutdown D, but his defense did improve when playing with MDZ. RD Andersson was a better defensive D than Helleson in San Diego.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think Hinds has one of more solid paths to the NHL because he brings something that Minty, Zell, and Luneau don't have right now, which is shutdown defense. Hinds did win QMJHL defensive d-man of the year. The majority scouting report on Hinds was shutdown D with no offense, implying little to no upside as a prospect. The Ducks pounced on him because the Ducks love late bloomers and Hinds' offense was late blooming. His defense has improved for the past two seasons along with his offense. That's why I said LaCombe and Hinds have an inside track to the NHL.

As for Helleson, I have no idea why kinda d-man he is. Transitional? He isn't a shutdown D, but his defense did improve when playing with MDZ. RD Andersson was a better defensive D than Helleson in San Diego.

I don't disagree on Hinds, but in the end LaCombe has proven more sooner which is why I ranked him higher. I put Guacher in the same category. I think this is the season where Hinds could really move up the rankings. Just too early.

I feel the same with you on Helleson. I can see him being an NHL player but I am not sure in what role. My guess is he's a 6/7 most of his career.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't disagree on Hinds, but in the end LaCombe has proven more sooner which is why I ranked him higher. I put Guacher in the same category. I think this is the season where Hinds could really move up the rankings. Just too early.

I feel the same with you on Helleson. I can see him being an NHL player but I am not sure in what role. My guess is he's a 6/7 most of his career.

I can understand having LD LaCombe ahead of LD Hinds because LaCombe produced well at the NCAA level along with great skating. LaCombe was the 4th best scoring defenseman in the NCAA last year. Although, I wouldn't call what LaCombe proved was sooner because he spent 4 years in college. His two NHL games did show a lot of promise. I didn't see Gaucher play any NHL games last year.

• 2022-23, QMJHL
    • C Gaucher: 44 g, 22g + 24a = 46 pts (1.05 ppg), and +30
      • WJC-20, Canada: 7 games, 1g + 3a = 4 pts (0.57 ppg), and +1
    • D Hinds: 56g, 11g + 43a = 54 pts (0.96 ppg), and +61 (highest in the Q)
      QMJHL defensive D-man of the year, 2023
      • WJC-20, Canada: 7 games, 2g + 0a = 2 pts (0.29 ppg), and +9 (highest +/- for D)

What did Gaucher do to prove he is on the same level with LaCombe, but not Hinds? Gaucher's game hasn't grown exponentially in the past two seasons. At 6'3 and 207 lbs, 2022 first round pick Gaucher should be dominating in his D+1 season, but it was about par for the course from the previous season. Hinds, otoh, has shown tremendous growth, both offensively and defensively, for the past three seasons with three different teams in the same league as Gaucher. Hinds earned Defensive d-man of the year for the QMJHL and own the highest +/- for d-man for Team Canada's WJC-20 gold winning team this past year. Hinds' offense vast improvement since he was drafted should bump his ceiling higher.

At last year's rookie tourney, Hinds was already giving D-zone Lindholm vibes as he dominated in the defensive end with winning pucks and efficiently getting the puck out of the D-zone. Gaucher was known for getting into a fight to protect his teammates without hesitation. After the conclusion of training camp, Verbeek rewarded Hinds, a 3rd round pick, with an ELC. I'm laying down that Hinds displayed his defensive floor was high at last year's rookie tourney. Then he took it to another level at the Q this past season.

Gaucher
PlayerSeasonLeagueGamesGAPtsPPGPlus/Minus
GaucherD+0QMJHL
66​
31​
26​
57​
0.86​
30​
D+1QMJHL
44​
22​