• Nikita Nesterenko

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the first poll, I am voting for Olen Zellweger.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2023 Ducks Prospect Rankings:

1. C - Leo Carlsson (2023 draftee)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (no change)

Our graduates and departures are:

Mason McTavish
Urho Vaakanainen
Henry Thrun
Simon Benoit
Axel Andersson
Sean Tschigerl
Hunter Drew
Thimo Nickl
Olle Eriksson Ek
Bryce Kindopp
Max Golod
Ethan Bowen​

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Wow, we actually lost a lot of prospects this year. Not a lot of high end ones, but still.

Gotta think this is Olen "Offensive Zone" Zellweger.

Add Regenda?

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
We should leave the polls open for longer. Even if they’re blowouts it would be nice to spend more time talking about the guys toward the top of the list.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Other than Carlsson I don't expect to see a forward on the list until #6 at the earliest, and possibly even later than that.

Speaking of defensemen, in addition to Hinds I would also add Moore to the list. He is probably going to come in somewhere between 10 and 15, but he should be in consideration at some time. If the Ducks can sign him I have faith that he will make the NHL at some point.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dostal for me

But zellweger also has a strong case with back to back WHL dmen of the year and chl dmen of year last year.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Others have said it but i think there's a clear 1/2/3, although the margins are not big right now. Dostal is a really nice prospect but I think Zell has the potential to be better at his position. also kinda a personal bias, but i often discount goalie prospects because they are goalies

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
Others have said it but i think there's a clear 1/2/3, although the margins are not big right now. Dostal is a really nice prospect but I think Zell has the potential to be better at his position. also kinda a personal bias, but i often discount goalie prospects because they are goalies
Ditto. I have a hard time quantifying the intricacies between being a skater and a goalie. For instance, where would you rank Gibby on our team if we had to make a concrete list?

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ditto. I have a hard time quantifying the intricacies between being a skater and a goalie. For instance, where would you rank Gibby on our team if we had to make a concrete list?
For me, positional scarcity does play a role on this list. Goaltender development and performance in general is extremely volatile and it's been historically easier league-wide to find starting caliber goalies than top two/three defensemen.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
For me, positional scarcity does play a role on this list. Goaltender development and performance in general is extremely volatile and it's been historically easier league-wide to find starting caliber goalies than top two/three defensemen.

I would say that finding reliable #1 goalies through trades is a mixed bag. Some getting lucky like Vegas and Hill and others are saddled with bad contracts.

I like Zell and personally have him ranked 4th, but I think Dostal has a higher chance of hitting his potential. I have concerns whether Zell will be able to defend well enough against NHL forwards to be a top 4 defenseman.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Spent a lot of time thinking who I got #2, but here gotta go with Zell. Next one is Dostal for me, with Luneau shortly after. After that it will get interesting for me.

Some nice depth to this crop, IMO.

Bleak

Jul 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta, CA
I would say that finding reliable #1 goalies through trades is a mixed bag. Some getting lucky like Vegas and Hill and others are saddled with bad contracts.

I like Zell and personally have him ranked 4th, but I think Dostal has a higher chance of hitting his potential. I have concerns whether Zell will be able to defend well enough against NHL forwards to be a top 4 defenseman.
For how long though? Could be a one-and-done like we quite often see on stanley cup teams

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm curious how it goes after 6. I have Luneau & Dostal as 5 and 6 (in that order as well). After that, it's tricky, but I think I'll go Gaucher.
I feel like everyone’s top 5 has the same 5, after 5 it’s interesting.

I’d go
Mintyukov
Carlsson
Dostal
Zellweger
Luneau

At 6 I’d prob go pastujov/hinds/gaucher in that order

Reactions: Duck Off

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I think Dostal has a higher chance of hitting his potential. I have concerns whether Zell will be able to defend well enough against NHL forwards to be a top 4 defenseman.
Agreed. Dostal has already showed us, in a fairly small sample size, that he can compete well at the NHL level. Zell’s ability to translate his game to the NHL is a mystery. Zell’s upside is off the charts though.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Hey234

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I value starting goalies more than top 4 defensemen. Dostal is also further along in his development, which takes out a lot of the guesswork on his projection.

Zell probably next for me though.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Going with Luneau here. If the thought is Minty is bigger than Zell, when why shouldn't it extend to Luneau?

DucksProspectD-men
DefensemanGamesGAPtsPPGPlayoffsGAPtsPPG
A
55​
32​
48​
80​
1.45​
14​
11​
18​
29​
2.07​
B
65​
20​
63​
83​
1.28​
13​
2​
15​
17​
1.31​
C
69​
24​
64​
88​
1.28​
11​
0​
9​
9​
0.82​

Answer:
A = Zellweger
B = Luneau
C = Minty

It's a luxury to boast the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL d-men of the season in the same season!

• Wow
Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad