GDT: 2023 Draft Lottery - 8PM ET - ESPN, Sportsnet, TVAS: Chicago #1, Anaheim #2, Columbus #3

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Where was the outrage when the Hawks had three first rd picks last year?
Did ya'll rage out when the Hawks selected Kevin Korchinski, Sam Rinzel or Frank Nazar? No of course you did not, because those players are not considered generation talents like Bedard.

But what is disgusting to me, if that you Hawks haters brought Kyle Beach back into the limelight to fit your anti-Hawks narrative. To justify your belief that the Hawks should not have the #1 pick. You don't actually care about the player who got assaulted, you care that a team should not be reward for bad behavior. That is disgusting to me. If you hate the Hawks, fine, if you don't want the Hawks to have #1 and to draft Bedard, fine, but don't bring in Beach for your own selfish reasons.

As for those who think there is a chance that Bedard won't sign....give up that dream. 100% guarantee Connor Bedard will be a Blackhawk. Sign. Seal. Delievered.

Mar 6, 2012
Before landing Bedard the Hawks have had four total draft picks in the top 5 over a span of 22 years since the year 2000 and we started being terrible in the late 90's, three 3rd overall (Barker, Toews, Dach) and one 1st overall (Kane). And, at the time, many had doubts about drafting Kane due to his size/bulk/etc, he wasn't anywhere near the consensus of a generational type like McD, Crosby, etc.

We knew we had some good players, that's it. No one knew when it came to the toughest games in the playoffs Kane & Toews had ice in their veins. Nobody knew Dave Bolland was just going to be a monster in the post season. Keith, a future Norris guy? Not when he was drafted, Seabrook was supposed to be a pretty good tough D, not a bonafide legit first pairing guy.

Then you sprinkle in a brilliant signing like Hossa, great move in trading for Sharp, and depth that was always above their place in the lineup?

That success was so much built on maybe partly the % of smarts but really a ton of luck. You just can't predict those guys would have turned out the way they did, not a chance. Nor could you predict the Hawks 3 cups back when Toews/Kane were drafted. The only prediction was that the team would start to make the playoffs and not be a total dumpster fire. Even in '09 I don't think anyone had the Hawks getting out of the first round.

So, for you to act like the league gifted the Blackhawks their recent success is way of line.

Who said anything about the league gifting anything? It's just random dumb luck and it's immensely frustrating for pretty much every single fan who isn't a Hawks fan.

The Hawks were an unbelievable well managed team. No one is diminishing their run. But most people probably believe, rightfully so, that without Patrick Kane lotto win, they probably wouldn't have won a single cup. But teams do win the lotto, it happens. It's fine. That's how the system works.

It just incredibly annoying to see the same team luck into such an incredible player twice in a short span.

....and four top 5 picks in the last 20 years? That's more than most get. The Blues have had 2 in that timespan. And prior to that, you have to go all the way back to 1979 to find the last time they had a top 5 pick. That's 3 in the last 44 years. In fact, in the 44 year span, they've picked in the top 10 only 5 times in total.

Is any of this luck? No, its the consequence of always having a pretty good, but not truly great team. So the reward for trying hard to always field a competitive team is being mired in mediocrity because you'll never get the chance to really get a superstar. And when some teams struggle and go through rough patches, they get rewarded with generational talents they can build around for a decade... and get rewarded handsomely for purposefully fielding terrible teams, while other bottom feeder teams that struggle to succeed never seem to catch the breaks. They get one or two chances at a good draft pick and end up with someone like Erik Johnson. Them's the breaks...

And that's a Blues fan perspective... there are other teams who have had a much much rougher go at it... so when you see the Blackhawks strike gold again, it's just very frustrating. It's annoying. I'm not mad at anyone, I know it's just random dumb luck...

Doesn't make it any less frustrating to see all of your rivals land all of these superstar players. It's just annoying as hell when your favorite team feels like it never gets the same level of players to build around and you're forced to always scrape together teams out of spare parts and scraps.

Building a winning NHL team is really freaking hard, and it's especially hard when you have to do it with nothing but late first round picks, free agency and trading... while you see all of these other teams land these unbelievably valuable assets through nothing but pure random chance... both through things like lotto wins, or being terrible at just the exact perfect moment in time.

The Blues have actually done fantastically well considering the poker hands they have been dealt most years. It just sure would be nice to be dealt a royal flush for a change, like the Hawks have now for the second time in very recent history.

I know it's all just sour grapes. But whatever... guess what... these grapes are sour.

They taste bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmytheKing and SiZ

babylonzoo

Mar 8, 2010
there are some rumors that some people (among others the great one) are advising bedard to pull a lindros.
anyone else here similar?

but rumors aside, would this still be possible in this day and age?

• Haha
Reactions: ColbyChaos

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Those who complain about NHL system should be glad to have it

Look what happened to Pistons tonight in NBA lotto

It's absurd for worst team to drop picking #5
Look what happened to the NHL team from Detroit only a few years ago.

Worst to 4th.

Glad to have it. Pfffffff

Mar 6, 2012
Bedard would be nuts to pull a Lindros.

Bedard has to be absolutely thrilled with where he's ending up. He also won the lotto.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
but rumors aside, would this still be possible in this day and age?

Theoretically he could but it wouldn't make sense for Bedard. The CBA rules were different in 1991 as unrestricted free agency wouldn't get introduced until the 1995 CBA. At that point once you were drafted by a team, they owned your rights indefinitely. So if you didn't like the situation, you were either stuck or had to ask for a trade. Even after the 1995 CBA, a player didn't hit UFA until age 31.

Now a player could be UFA after seven years of service. It wouldn't make as much financial sense for Bedard to sit out a year to force a trade since he'd still have to sign a three year ELC at age 19 (plus he'd delay his UFA status by a year). I don't know if Chicago would panic if Bedard pulled an Eli Manning / John Elway, but the trade offers would probably be pretty fun as a neutral fan.

He wasn't as high a profile prospect, but Tim Erixon was a first round pick in 2009 but he refused to sign in Calgary. His rights were about to expire and he could re-enter the 2011 Draft. Calgary would have only received a second round pick in 2011 as compensation. Erixon was interested in signing with the Rangers (his father played there), so Calgary traded his rights to the Rangers and received a pair of second round picks in 2011. And then Adam Fox followed a similar route. Made more sense for Erixon since he wasn't going to make the NHL as a teenager.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
The bolded is gaslighting and fantasy. I never suggested anywhere he suffers from mental illness. I don't know that and I couldn't know that. Where did I say he has a mental illness?

"Violent assault" - the claim of violence has been contested. We can't objectively know whether that specific element of the accusation is valid.

The italicized bit is objectively false and an assumption on your part, a broad generalization. It objectively depends on the individual. The fact that many would react in such a way despite those circumstance, or at least, react differently is objectively true. Which again is why I don't and never blamed Kyle.

What I stated was I don't understand the reaction and that it's likely upon hearing what the Hawks execs supposedly heard, it's not hard to see why they too might not completely grasp how this could happen, especially in the face of two contradicting stories.

Enough of the gaslighting. Let'/s move on.
You may not be aware of the pressure young players are under when coming into the league after having worked, dreamt and lived about being a hockey pro, the last thing they want to do is make waves of ANY KIND off ice. As an employer of the offender there is plenty of negligence there.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I hate that I have to hope Bedard somehow busts or doesn't hit his potential now
are you serious, this is rigged as it can be, they have no time to rebuild Chicago from the start and losing important marketing
This might be the most corrupt thing that's ever happened in sports, besides the rigged World Series. The most ridiculous part is that it won't even be discussed. The league will just pretend it never happened. Just ridiculous
Hope everyone’s calmed down a bit. Some of these takes from any random page are just wow.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad