Prospect Info: 2023 draft 4th overall Will Smith

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I'm not thrilled with the pick either but who else were we supposed to take? Michkov likely didn't want to play here. Benson and Leonard are guaranteed wingers while there's at least a chance Smith will play a much more valuable position. Personally I would have probably taken Reinbacher but that's a tough sell at 4th overall. It's unfortunate that Anaheim took Carlsson or else I think he would have fallen to us.
If Michkov was completely off the table, I think I would have went with Reinbacher who I see as a #2 shutdown defenseman, which makes rebuilding the d-corp much easier. It is a tough sell, but I remember how valuable prime-Vlasic was to the Sharks. I agree, missing out on Carlsson/Fantilli was a real kick in the teeth.

Reactions: Hodge

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It's not like he went 10th or something, he was the literal next pick.
I had Reinbacher ahead of smith but it was close. Knowing now that Michkov wasn’t an option either would have been valuable. Neither is the true 1C or 1D that you want from the top 5 but with the right deployment or support from linemates they both could fill those roles.

Smith needs another top 6 C that can take the difficult assignments. I don’t the Bystedt is that so not the best fit.

Reinbacher needs another #2/#3 defensemen to anchor a top pair.

Muk - Reinbacher
Thurn - Havelid

Is a good top 4 if they hit.

I think both guys would have helped the sharks. At least the best part about Smith is he is the “sexier” of the two and will be more fun to follow as a prospect.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I had Reinbacher ahead of smith but it was close. Knowing now that Michkov wasn’t an option either would have been valuable. Neither is the true 1C or 1D that you want from the top 5 but with the right deployment or support from linemates they both could fill those roles.

Smith needs another top 6 C that can take the difficult assignments. I don’t the Bystedt is that so not the best fit.

Reinbacher needs another #2/#3 defensemen to anchor a top pair.

Muk - Reinbacher
Thurn - Havelid

Is a good top 4 if they hit.

I think both guys would have helped the sharks. At least the best part about Smith is he is the “sexier” of the two and will be more fun to follow as a prospect.
Smith might not be a true game-breaking two-way 1C, but we're going to be drafting very high for the next few years anyway and will hopefully find a second 1C quality guy to go along with Smith (if Smith does turn into a Hughes type and we find a Hischier type as well, that's be outstanding) or a legit 1D. We're not in a position where we need to worry about finding the "perfect" player, because we need like six legit prospects.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Smith might not be a true game-breaking two-way 1C, but we're going to be drafting very high for the next few years anyway and will hopefully find a second 1C quality guy to go along with Smith (if Smith does turn into a Hughes type and we find a Hischier type as well, that's be outstanding) or a legit 1D. We're not in a position where we need to worry about finding the "perfect" player, because we need like six legit prospects.

I think he might be a game-breaking talent on the offensive side. Just from the prospects game, his passing is so so good. Crisp, always to the right place and never ahead or behind, his drop passes stopped before crossing the lines, just sooo good, very Jumbo-like. I watched his shifts in that game twice!! And that quick turnaround shot on his goal was sublime too.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think he might be a game-breaking talent on the offensive side. Just from the prospects game, his passing is so so good. Crisp, always to the right place and never ahead or behind, his drop passes stopped before crossing the lines, just sooo good, very Jumbo-like. I watched his shifts in that game twice!! And that quick turnaround shot on his goal was sublime too.
I guess I was thinking more of a Crosby/McDavid level when I said "game-breaking."

I do think that we shouldn't worry if Smith isn't going to be an elite two-way 1C and instead is "only" an excellent offensive 1C.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’m really excited about Smith because — and I’ve posted this a hundred times before so I apologize for repeating myself — the Sharks have never had a player like him. I’ve wanted us to have a highlight reel machine guy who can deke through the other team and take you out of your seats with how he plays — Smith has that potential.

And don’t get me wrong, Joe Thornton was obviously a treat to watch, so was Marleau, so were a lot of guys we’ve had over the years, but they were just different, very Sharky-type of players (big, strong, dominating in the corners, etc.). I’m thrilled to have this kind of guy in our roster.

For what it’s worth, I think Eklund is a really, really smart defensive player and it’s possible that putting him on Smith’s wing will help balance a line out — but that depends on how they both develop.

Eklund - Smith - Musty would be insanely fun to watch.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I’m really excited about Smith because — and I’ve posted this a hundred times before so I apologize for repeating myself — the Sharks have never had a player like him. I’ve wanted us to have a highlight reel machine guy who can deke through the other team and take you out of your seats with how he plays — Smith has that potential.

And don’t get me wrong, Joe Thornton was obviously a treat to watch, so was Marleau, so were a lot of guys we’ve had over the years, but they were just different, very Sharky-type of players (big, strong, dominating in the corners, etc.). I’m thrilled to have this kind of guy in our roster.

For what it’s worth, I think Eklund is a really, really smart defensive player and it’s possible that putting him on Smith’s wing will help balance a line out — but that depends on how they both develop.

Eklund - Smith - Musty would be insanely fun to watch.
I really like Lund as the 3rd guy on that line with his size and shot.

Musty sounds like more of a playmaker. So a second line of
Musty - 24/25 1st - Halttunen

Eklund - Smith - Lund
Gushchin - Bystedt - ???

This could be a solid top 9 without adding for additional late 1sts or seconds hitting or FA’s.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really like Lund as the 3rd guy on that line with his size and shot.

Musty sounds like more of a playmaker. So a second line of

Eklund - Smith - Lund
Gushchin - Bystedt - ???

This could be a solid top 9 without adding for additional late 1sts or seconds hitting or FA’s.

While I think Guschin probably needs to be a top 6 player, I think he and Bystedt would be pretty great together.

I know we’re all repeating ourselves at this point but it’s insane how quickly our prospect pool went from absolutely garbage to some serious potential. I’m also really loving what I’ve read and heard about Musty lately - we may have gotten really lucky with him and Cagnoni falling to us.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I guess I was thinking more of a Crosby/McDavid level when I said "game-breaking."

I do think that we shouldn't worry if Smith isn't going to be an elite two-way 1C and instead is "only" an excellent offensive 1C.
You're talking generational talents not game breaking first line players.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Considering there was only 1 player on the level as Crosby and McDavid drafted in this draft, we got a pretty high level player with the 4th.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
It's not like he went 10th or something, he was the literal next pick.
I would have been fine with Reinbacher in a trade back scenario but not when Smith was available. Given that Michov likely didnt want to come to San Jose, getting Smith was the last chance for a game breaking player.

We will likely not ever find out, but I would love to know what the offers were to trade back were. If we could have gotten a good deal then I would have liked to take it. Smith isn't an ideal 1st line center with flaws that will likely need to be worked around from a teambuilding scenario, but he can be a legit 1C for us and that is still extremely important for us to get. It's the hardest portion to fill and we did it. We may never get a #1 or #2 OA pick during this rebuild and we took advantage of the opportunity that did come up. I can't complain about Smith being taken personally. It was probably the right move.

Reactions: Makoshark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad