Prospect Info: 2023, 5th round, 137th pick - RD Jack Phelan

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Players need time to develop. He is still a very young man. Not every defenseman needs to be great offensively. He made some nice tape-to-tape passes out there as well.

When I look at some of the other guys who were taken after him, there aren’t a lot of surefire better options. I’d question a lot of Draper’s earlier picks before I’d picking question this kid in the 5th round. The game I watched had several NHL drafted players and he caught my eye.
Moreover, you aren't going to find big mobile defensemen with offensive skill in the 5th round. Drafts just aren't that deep. The more offensively gifted available defensemen will be on the small side at that point in the draft (and thus equally flawed but in a different way). Thanks for taking time to watch him. When you watch someone of his profile, puck movement and retrieval will be more limiting factors than offensive output (provided he can reasonably defend).

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Moreover, you aren't going to find big mobile defensemen with offensive skill in the 5th round. Drafts just aren't that deep. The more offensively gifted available defensemen will be on the small side at that point in the draft (and thus equally flawed but in a different way). Thanks for taking time to watch him. When you watch someone of his profile, puck movement and retrieval will be more limiting factors than offensive output (provided he can reasonably defend).

Good point for sure

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
To make this team good in the long run Time to change things in our drafting strategy . Drafting ASP was move in the right direction, unfortunately after our first round picks we got bunch of why questions. Time to start looking for smart creative projects that could become something good.
I think Stevie offered Hakan the head of scouting role, but he didn't want to move from Sweden. Our European scouting is elite, unfortunately we cannot say they same about our North American scouting. I was hoping we could bring on Tampa's former head of scouting when he was let go but I don't think that has happened. It would be great if Draper could get a GM gig somewhere else in the league.

Reactions: Henkka and lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad