2023-24 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No Adirondack doesn't exist for Utica lol no way. We are definitely in the chain so to speak, but in no was does Adirondack "serve" Utica. Adirondack like most ECHL clubs are locally owned and can control their own destiny. Adirondack and ECHL clubs appreciate the role they play in the development of players but the AHL is systems development while the ECHL is more individual player development. Adirondack is not owned by NJ like the Comets are, Utica has absolutely no say or no control. Adirondack is killing Utica in attendance and fan suppprt as well. If someone said Adirondack could keep the Thunder as an ECHL team or become the Devils owned AHL club I would say Adirondack Thunder ECHL team any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Devils don't care about Utica, or it's fans. Adirondack home grown local ownership, they care about success and the fan support shows.
I don't think it's fair to say that the Devils don't care about Utica. I think NJ could do a better job helping Utica succeed, but Tom Fitzgerald's kid and Dan MacKinnon's kid both play with Utica. Hard to say Tom and Dan have no interest in what their kids are doing. I'm also not sure that it's fair to say Adirondack has no role in the system. Players do move back and forth between Utica and Adirondack and the move to Utica from Adirondack is considered a step up. Beyond that, Utica fans existed before NJ became the parent organization and they will exist if NJ spun off into another AHL affiliation. I doubt there are too many Utica fans who only exist secondary to the affiliation with NJ.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I posted after Adirondack’s Game Two win.
They went 1-2 L (Poulter) & 2-0 W (Poulter) at home.

They played the next three games this past weekend in Maine.

Friday the Thunder went down 1-4 L in Game 3, Poulter gave up 2 GA. *SOB*

Then Saturday the back-ups played in Game 4 and the floodgates opened for the good guys.

Game 4 line-up

Goal 1 makes it 1-1 in the 1st period
Hirano (Smith, van de Leest)

Brodeur flashes some leather

Goal 2 makes it 2-3 in the 3rd period
Ashbrook (MacKinnon, Walker)

Goal 3 makes it 3-3
Wheeler (Engarås, MacKinnon)

Goal 4 makes it 4-3
Harper (Ghantous, Hirano) Power Play

Goal 5 makes it 5-3
Broughman Empty Net

All the scoring in alternate footage. Fun!

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can the Thunder take the lead for the first time in this series? (Hint: I don’t post losses.)

Should the coaches have kept Brodeur in as the random Twitter guy suggested?

Goal 1 makes it 1-0 in the 2nd Period
Wheeler (MacKinnon)

Goal 2 makes it 2-0 in the 3rd period
Engarås (Middendorf)

Poulter clip

Goal 3 makes it 3-0 in the 3rd period
Ashbrook (Harper, Ghantous) Empty Net

Some fisticuffs

Our Boy King receives acclaim

The Thunder can win the series on Tuesday at home in Game 6.

Edit: Post Game video added

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Can the Thunder take the lead for the first time in this series? (Hint: I don’t post losses.)

Should the coaches have kept Brodeur in as the random Twitter guy suggested?

Goal 1 makes it 1-0 in the 2nd Period
Wheeler (MacKinnon)

Goal 2 makes it 2-0 in the 3rd period
Engarås (Middendorf)

Poulter clip

Goal 3 makes it 3-0 in the 3rd period
Ashbrook (Harper, Ghantous) Empty Net

Some fisticuffs

Our Boy King receives acclaim

The Thunder can win the series on Tuesday at home in Game 6.

Poulter is playing well. He deserves that ELC.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Top goalies with at least 2 GP in the ECHL playoffs:
IMG_6444.jpeg

#GoalsForPoults lol

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Matt Vernon is 4th on the goalie list in the post above.

The Jacksonville Icemen, the Sabres affiliate, are 3-2 in their series.

If both Jacksonville and Adirondack advance to the next round ECF (whoops, close lol) then teams with Martin Brodeur’s son and Mike Vernon’s son will meet in the ECHL playoffs. (Jeremy isn’t the starter, and Matt is, but still fun.)

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Schmelzer and Bowers re-signed. I assume primarily for Utica, though both are two way contracts.

$250k for Bowers and $275k for Schmelzer

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Schmelzer and Bowers re-signed. I assume primarily for Utica, though both are two way contracts.

$250k for Bowers and $275k for Schmelzer
Schmelzer's 1st NHL contract (2-way) was well earned after the 3 seasons he has put together for the Comets. He came to the Comets in '21-22 as a 3-yr AHL veteran with NJ affiliate Binghamton. He was named the Comets Captain for the Comets inaugural season. He would keep that role for for the next 2 seasons and will undoubtedly keep it for the next the upcoming 2 as well. He was labeled as their #3/4 center. Early injuries made him #3. By the end of the season injuries had pushed him to #2 where he would remain through the playoffs. He once again handled the role admirably compiling 18 G/14 A/32 Pts.

In '22/23 the Comets center problems continued. This season it was mainly due to the incompetence of the other said centers. He would eventually end up the #2 and often times slid into the #1 slot. Once again he managed to handle the role. He put up numbers that showed he was doing what a center is supposed to do, set up his wingers. His own goal totals suffered (6), but he kept feeding his wingers accounting for 29 assists. That number would have been higher if those said wings could have finished the job.

This past '23-24 season he was once again slated to be the #3 on paper as Dowling, Criscuolo, and Bowers were acquired to fill the middle roles. As the season progressed and injuries and call-ups occurred, once again Ryan rose in the center hierarchy. He became the team's #2 center and sometimes back at #1. Due to his jockeying around in the lineup, he would find himself between a variety of wingers. It didn't seem to matter. He fit right into the role this time and accounted himself better than most would have expected. He became the heart and soul of the Comets. He was the team leader. He was a role model for every team member (not that they followed his lead) working every shift to his physical limits.

His work effort elevated him to the the top of the scoring charts. He continued to supply his wings with the puck putting up 34 assists, #1. His own goal came back up to 18, #3. His 52 Pts made him the team scoring leader. Ryan became the best all around player on the Comets. What more could you ask for from your Captain? This contract is most deserved even if he never sees a minute in N.J. The AHL $$$ are well deserved.

Congrats Cappie!

Now I'll still lodge a factual need.
They have Dowling who is a very good #2 if he can stay healthy and stay in Utica.

Bowers is not a consistent point producer and maybe is better suited on the wing. 10G/4A/14 Pts in 43 GP is not the numbers you want for even a #3. Like I said I'd put him out on the wing.

That places Ryan back at #2/3. The Comets still, for the 4th year running, really need a #1 center.

They also need an experinced AHL scoring winger with some size and a 2nd wing with some size who is an average AHL scorer.

Why the 2 sizeable wings?
Filmon, Wendt, Ghantous are rookies with no evidence of physicality.
Bowers and Dowling are not big and were hurt by guys that are.
Schmelzer, Halonen, Gambardella, and Stillman are average sized, but could use a little size on their lines. Halonen and Stillman think they're tough, but it hasn't gone well for them so far.
Clarke avoids contact like it's the plague.

Halonen and Clarke are RFAs I expect to be re-signed.

Parent was #3 in points and Criscuolo was #4. They are both small.

I've listed 11 forwards. The # after their name is where they finished in the points totals.

These 8 are signed:
Filmon
Ghantous
Wendt
Schmelzer (#1 in Pts)
Dowling (#5)
Gambardella (#8)
Stillman (#10)
Bowers (#16 14Pts/43 GP)

These 3 are unsigned, but I think they will be:
Clarke (#2)
Halonen (#7 in 35 GP/#2 20 G)
Parent (#5) is small, but I think they bring him back.

That's 11 forwards and 8 made up the nucleus of this year's team that was not successful.

These 4 are UFAs
Criscuolo (#4)
Willman (#11 22Pts/33GP)
Laberge (#14)
Legare (3Pts/15 GP)

Laberge and Legare have size and are physical, but they don't score.
Criscuolo puts up points but is small.
Willman is productive, but was in NJ half of the season. When he finally returned ,he broke his sternum and a "couple ribs". That was it for his season.
Criscuolo is the only one of these guys that could serve a purpose on the wing or at center n the right lineup. He did put up the 4th highest point total, but on a team that didn't produce a lot of points to begin with. Schmelzer's 52 points placed him at #43 in the AHL, 25 points behind the league leader.

If they were to return all of these guys, they would basically ice the same forwards as this season and add 3 rookies. That's bringing back the North Division's last place team. I don't see those rookies turning this team into a playoff contender.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me! They need to shake this team up with some size and scoring ability. One of them needs top be a #1 center..

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Whelp, the Thunder lost Game 6, 1-2, so not enough #GoalsForPoults yet again. Egads, will my bandwagon derail in the first round?

Scoring is like pulling teeth in this series but they finally bang one in here in the 2nd period to make it 1-0.
Wheeler (Walker, Felix)

Another look at the same goal.

Poult’s content because they can’t f***ing score more lol
IMG_6566.jpeg

Finally the Thunder’s playoff point leader gives them a cushion late in the 3rd, it’s 0-2.
Ashbrook (Middendorf) Empty Net

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
Whelp, the Thunder lost Game 6, 1-2, so not enough #GoalsForPoults yet again. Egads, will my bandwagon derail in the first round?

Scoring is like pulling teeth in this series but they finally bang one in the 2nd period to make it 1-0.
Wheeler (Walker, Felix)

Another look at the same goal.

Poult’s content because they can’t f***ing score more lol
View attachment 863244

Finally the Thunder’s playoff point leader gives them a cushion late in the 3rd, it’s 0-2.
Ashbrook (Middendorf) Empty Net

And I’ll post better content when the Thunder Twitter team stops celebrating & gets back to their job lol.

Poulter is much better than any of thr other prospect goalies this season. Hopefully he can build off this and maybe get some NHL games next season he’s earned them.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Matt Vernon is 4th on the goalie list in the post above.

The Jacksonville Icemen, the Sabres affiliate, are 3-2 in their series.

If both Jacksonville and Adirondack advance to the next round ECF (whoops, close lol) then teams with Martin Brodeur’s son and Mike Vernon’s son will meet in the ECHL playoffs. (Jeremy isn’t the starter, and Matt is, but still fun.)
I have to quote myself like a psycho because, as you can see, I needed to correct an error.

1) I made the mistake of going by an off-brand site which had the ECHL bracket wrong, Jacksonville is in the other Eastern Conference division.

2) I also cursed Jacksonville with the original post because they were up 3-2 in their series when I made the original comment and they just lost Game 7.
Sorry Mike Vernon’s son! (Glad at least the Thunder got it done.)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Poulter is much better than any of thr other prospect goalies this season. Hopefully he can build off this and maybe get some NHL games next season he’s earned them.
I have this sneaky feeling that Akira will be traded in the Devils acquisition of a goalie and Poulter will be part of the Utica tandem next season.
The kid deserves the permanent jump to the AHL and from there the sky is up to him and if his past performance here is any indication he will advance from Utica as well.

Please don't let NJ end up trading Poulter in the off season because they are banking on Schmid/Daws for their future.

Reactions: NJ07102 and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad