HF Habs: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Haven't seen a thread related to what next season's roster will look like (mostly talk scattered through other threads) so here we go.

This season had a huge influx of players because of injuries, with some standouts among the young players. I really wonder what the lineup will look like next season. I don't think we've seen this much potential roster movement in a long time. There's just too many young players pushing on both forward and D.

Forwards:
Will RHP, Ylonen, Belzile, Gurianov, Slafkovsky, Pitlick, Armia keep their spots on the team?
Will Anderson or Dvorak get traded?
What about Monahan, resigned to try and get some deadline value out of him or let go?
Will Armia (likely), Hoffman or Gallagher get bought out?
Will Heineman, Farrell make it up or stay in the AHL with Roy, Kidney and possibly other new forwards.

Defense:
Will Edmundson or Savard get traded?
Will Kovacevik and Wideman keep their spots?
Will another defenseman from the AHL or Mailloux make the team from camp?

Goaltending:
Will Allen be traded to make room for Primeau as backup? Or will Primeau get shopped.

We already have some inkling on how it will pan out because HuGo's stated goal is to make a team that can compete every year in the long run. So maximizing assets on players who won't be part of the future and keeping players with lesser value to finish their contracts and bring up players who fit the speedy, puck-possession style of play.

Feel free to post your lineups and discuss!

Last edited:

JT3

May 27, 2013
Dubois - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman- Dach - Anderson
RHP - Evans - Gallagher
Heineman - Belzile - Armia
Pezzetta

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris

Montembault
Allen

I don't know what to do with Farrell/Slaf/Ylonen. Slaf will probably be in the lineup but we'll see what his camp looks like. Ylonen deserves a spot at this point too I think. Maybe Farrell starts in the A. I guess it depends on whether we buyout Armia or Hoffman.

I have Dvorak moved in the Dubois deal.

I think there will be a lot of competition next camp. Should be interesting.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hoffman- Dach - Anderson
RHP - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzetta

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris

Montembault
Allen

I don't know what to do with Farrell/Slaf/Ylonen. Slaf will probably be in the lineup but we'll see what his camp looks like. Ylonen deserves a spot at this point too I think. Maybe Farrell starts in the A. I guess it depends on whether we buyout Armia or Hoffman.

I think Slaf will be there and they won’t be so thin at bottom 6 center. Whether that means dvo stays, or Monahan’s health can take another season, or Beck ….

JT3

May 27, 2013
I think Slaf will be there and they won’t be so thin at bottom 6 center. Whether that means dvo stays, or Monahan’s health can take another season, or Beck ….
I figured Dubois could shift to C if need be, but I do agree that was one area I was iffy about. I just don't know that Monahan is worth re-signing given his health. He was great his first 20-30 games but we haven't seen him since. And Beck I think should go back to Jr. He has things he needs to work on and I don't think it's a good idea to shoe him into a bottom6/4th line C role this early in his career. Maybe we sign a 4th line C or something to supplement.

It's hard to predict this far out with so many variables this summer. There's a lot that could happen.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I figured Dubois could shift to C if need be, but I do agree that was one area I was iffy about. I just don't know that Monahan is worth re-signing given his health. He was great his first 20-30 games but we haven't seen him since. And Beck I think should go back to Jr. He has things he needs to work on and I don't think it's a good idea to shoe him into a bottom6/4th line C role this early in his career. Maybe we sign a 4th line C or something to supplement.

It's hard to predict this far out with so many variables this summer. There's a lot that could happen.
Yeah, tough to predict #3 C at this point. Most likely, i suppose, is the incumbent - dvo. I doubt it’ll be Evans, but he’s an option.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think next years team will be pretty similar to this years team. Drouin, Monahan, Belzile, Tierney and Byron are all upcoming UFAs and will all be gone. I can see maybe some sort of Monahan like trades this summer but I can’t see a big splash like trading for Dubois. Caufield will get a nice raise and that will eat up a bunch of that money coming off the books.

Then next year will be the last for Hoffman, Edmundson, Pitlick, Montembeault and Wideman. I feel like next year should still be a rebuilding year as they are not ready to take that next step yet.

The following year will be the last year for Armia and you can let him ride out his contract. By that time Armia and Gallagher will be the only bad contracts left on the team. Price is too but with him being on LTIR I am not counting him. This is the year that Dubois hits UFA and then try to sign him as opposed to trading big assets for him.

Over the next few years Slafkovsky, RHP, Ylonen, Farrell, Mailloux, Kidney, Roy, Heinemen, Beck, Mesar will all be turning pro or need to be given NHL ice time. That doesn’t include the first round pick in this years draft which should be a top six pick and however that the Florida pick turns out to be.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hoffman- Dach - Anderson
RHP - Evans - Gallagher
Pezzetta

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Harris

Montembault
Allen

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Anderson - Dach - Gurianov
RHP - Dubois - Heineman
Gallagher - Evans - Ylonen
Laval/13th forward: Pez, Belzile, Armia

Matheson - Barron
Guhle - Savard
Xhekaj - Harris
Wideman, Kovacevic (hurts me to put Kovacevic here, may have to move another dman).

Monetembault
Allen

Traded: Dvo, Eddie, Hoffman (50% retained)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can only operate on the assumption that no moves are made.. I'm not gonna put PLD in, or trade Edmundson.

RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield
Ylonen-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Edmundson, Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

Farrell and Heineman go to the AHL simply because they can. Pitlick gets put through waivers again. They'll need to trade Edmundson or put Xhekaj in the AHL until its figured out OR they'll need to waive Primeau or trade Allen.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I can only operate on the assumption that no moves are made.. I'm not gonna put PLD in, or trade Edmundson.

RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield
Ylonen-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Edmundson, Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

Farrell and Heineman go to the AHL simply because they can. Pitlick gets put through waivers again. They'll need to trade Edmundson or put Xhekaj in the AHL until its figured out OR they'll need to waive Primeau or trade Allen.
Thank you!
Let's work with what we have for now. :clap:
Now let us hope you are wrong and some of those losers get moved some how some way. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield
Ylonen-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Edmundson, Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

Bottom 2 lines are depressing.
RHP on first and Slaf on 2nd are too big of a jump.
same exact D and G.

curious to know your expectations for that group.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield
Ylonen-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Edmundson, Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

I think this is realistic if no moves are made. I'm betting that Edmundson or Savard are gone though to make room, with Kovacevic as 7D.

I think we will see one buyout (Armia) to make more room for Heineman/Farrell.

And I think that Allen will be traded since he has the most value between him and Primeau, and Primeau will back up Monty. It's doubtful that HuGo believe any of those goalies will be our no1 so they will maximize assets and probably draft/trade for a no1.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

RHP-Suzuki-Anderson
Slafkovsky-Dach-Caufield
Ylonen-Dvorak-Gallagher
Hoffman-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Barron
Xhekaj-Harris
Edmundson, Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

And if Heineman lights it up in camp, or at least catches MSL's eye as more deserving of a spot in the top 12, I think he bumps a guy like Armia to 13th forward. Then maybe Pez goes to the AHL.

At any rate, I expect moves this summer, so this will be revisited in September at the beginning of camp and then in October at the conclusion of camp

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I dont see the team making any big moves. Have to see what they have in the prospect department. Lots of guys with potential. September will be exciting to watch for once. If they take a step forward next season then try and attempt to sign free agents the following offseason. Unless a trade like dach comes around for a younger guy with potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad