2023-24 opening night lineup

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Is this team done building their roster?
I think we are done atleast until camp starts and a few weeks into the season to evaluate what we are and where we are going. Need to see if Gurianov, Tomasino, Evangelista, and Parssinen are really up for it or if an audible needs to be called. Feel out the new coach and system before any major trades to make sure we are getting the right fit

We may make a minor trade around our defense to clear up some room as it isnt ideal that our cheapest pressbox dman would be lauzon at 2 million.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Ek reporting Preds and Flames discussing deal for Hanifin.
Just don’t see it happening. Where would Noah play? We have josi and McDonagh on the left side. What we need is a top pair rhd to play with josi. Pesce should be the target. No use for Hanifin really at all.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ek reporting Preds and Flames discussing deal for Hanifin.
Yeah i really dont get this one for nashville unless we have an outlet for McDonagh (trade or buyout in the offseason). This would put us back to where we were with an imbalance of LHD and RHD that we started last season with. The more trotz does the more it seems like shuffling deck chairs

Joey = ROR
Nino = Nyquist
Granlund = Tomasino
Duchene = Evangelista
Ekholm = Hanifin?
Jeannot = Schenn #grit

Pros: Hanifin would be a good add for the longterm as he effectively replaces ekholm. Hes the same age as lauzon and carrier but much better.

Cons: Caphit and is LHD really where we need to be beefing up?

I guess this years d pairings could be

Mcd josi
Hanifin schenn
Lauzon barrie/carrier

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah i really dont get this one for nashville unless we have an outlet for McDonagh (trade or buyout in the offseason). This would put us back to where we were with an imbalance of LHD and RHD that we started last season with. The more trotz does the more it seems like shuffling deck chairs

Joey = ROR
Nino = Nyquist
Granlund = Tomasino
Duchene = Evangelista
Ekholm = Hanifin?
Jeannot = Schenn #grit

Pros: Hanifin would be a good add for the longterm as he effectively replaces ekholm. Hes the same age as lauzon and carrier but much better.

Cons: Caphit and is LHD really where we need to be beefing up?

Yeah a Hanifin move would have to be a longer term plan for once McDonagh drops down to a 3rd pair D (although that could happen sooner than we hope). The rumored return I saw was Fabbro which makes the deal make even less sense to me though. I wouldn't mind Hanifin but I'd really prefer we just give the team a look as is and then try to fix holes. It's just tough to know where our weaknesses really are with how much turnover we've already had.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah a Hanifin move would have to be a longer term plan for once McDonagh drops down to a 3rd pair D (although that could happen sooner than we hope). The rumored return I saw was Fabbro which makes the deal make even less sense to me though. I wouldn't mind Hanifin but I'd really prefer we just give the team a look as is and then try to fix holes. It's just tough to know where our weaknesses really are with how much turnover we've already had.

Paying 6.75 mil for a 3rd pairing dman doesnt make sense to me. Just not terribly effective allocation of capspace. Thats why i brought up trade (likely with heavy retention or taking back a different bloated contract) or buyout. His buyout next offseason is perfectly manageable especially with expected cap rises.

Fabbro seems to of fallen out of favor for one reason or another as his name has been circulating for far too long for there not to be something behind it.

Id rather spend the resources for a center or RHD like Pesce personally but Tortz may be aiming to take advantage of players trying to bail on Calgary

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just don’t see it happening. Where would Noah play? We have josi and McDonagh on the left side. What we need is a top pair rhd to play with josi. Pesce should be the target. No use for Hanifin really at all.
I mean, we'd all prefer Pesce of course. But it seems like that ship may have sailed, with Carolina set for the Cap and not pursuing Karlsson anymore? I don't see why they would trade Pesce now, given they are a Cup contender and have no Cap issues. Even if they can't re-sign him. (In which case, we should be after him as a UFA next summer!)

Hanifin seems like a "consolation prize", not as good as Pesce, but supposedly he wants out of Calgary, so could be available. But as everybody is saying, he seems a little redundant with McDonagh in our lineup. I just don't see paying the price it seems he might command. He's a lot bigger than Fabbro, but he doesn't really use his size that much anyway, it's not really his style. He's not a player I would go out of my way to acquire. It can't hurt to kick the tires in case any bargain shakes loose, but no need to get carried away.

Reactions: maplepred

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
I actually like Hanifin as well as or better than Pesce.

McDonagh is aging quickly. Hanifin as 2LD would be a massive help, if the cap can be made to work.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I actually like Hanifin as well as or better than Pesce.

McDonagh is aging quickly. Hanifin as 2LD would be a massive help, if the cap can be made to work.
Well the Cap will work for us. It's just a matter of the trade price Calgary would make us pay. Hynes did his best to ensure that nobody sees Fabbro as a fair price to pay alone, and I wouldn't want to give up one of our best prospects on top of him, just for a "luxury" like Hanifin... if we did that, sure it may still count as a bit of an upgrade (albeit positionally awkward) for the coming season... but the coming season shouldn't be the main focus.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
As Porter said, I think it all depends on the price. If it's something like Fabbro + 2nd you obviously pull the trigger. If it's something like Fabbro + Tomasino, you back away.

Hanifin would easily be our 2nd best defenseman after Josi, and would be a fantastic addition to the team. Even so, I wouldn't pay through the nose for him as LHD is not our biggest weakness.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As Porter said, I think it all depends on the price. If it's something like Fabbro + 2nd you obviously pull the trigger. If it's something like Fabbro + Tomasino, you back away.

Hanifin would easily be our 2nd best defenseman after Josi, and would be a fantastic addition to the team. Even so, I wouldn't pay through the nose for him as LHD is not our biggest weakness.

I can get on board with this reasoning as long as it doesnt keep us from improving in areas of greater needs. We got alot of extra picks and Fabbro seems on the outs with management (though i dont understand why).

Reactions: Scoresberg

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
This would kind of fly in the face of youth or the “play the kids” approach. But what it would do is add to my main worry of Trotz building a team built on his old approach of D first and sometimes D only. The new O’s signed are leader types with D, not much new O. I’m all for the kids; mistakes and all!
Of course, it could include another salary dump for Preds. Trades and rumor's of trades; come quickly camp!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds only have 1 more retained salary spot for 2 more years, and NEXT YEAR they have 11.8 million dollars in dead cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad