Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The upside is highest on Perreault but he is going to need an extra gear. He is pretty much top 6 or bust. He might make it at first on a 3rd line but his line mates will need to have some offensive ability.....which as the Rangers are currently constructed will probably be the case. With Othmann, Cuylle, Sykora all those guys are likely going break in on the bottom lines and work their way up as far as they can go from there. I don't think Perreault has a 4th line option. So depending on personnel when he turns pro Perreault might spend some time in the AHL too if only because his path is a little narrower.

Reading that article on prospects--his take that Jones makes the team just because he's too skilled and no longer waiver eligible I think misses the point that the Rangers already have a top 6. I don't see this guy as a top 4 NHL D anytime soon in any case. He's certainly not displacing Miller or Lindgren. He doesn't play defense well enough and as far as last season in Hartford my take was it was good but wasn't really outstanding. The point totals don't suggest to me that he's any more ready to run a power play than Gustafsson and FWIW Hartford's power play last year wasn't very good. I think there is a decent chance the Rangers try to move him.......some chance they might move Lindgren even but Jones is nowhere near ready to move into a top 4D spot.

Reactions: Ranger Ric

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Curious to see where Rasmus Larsson plays in the fall. I have not seen any indication he'll be back with Vasteras, but who knows? With an NCAA commitment for 24-25, and his rights being held by Green Bay in the USHL, seems like there's a decent chance he goes that route.

Ty Henricks is in a similar boat. He played in the USHL last season, finishing with Muskegon, and so it would seem like he's destined to play another season there. I had read something that said he was in camp with Muskegon prior to being drafted which supports that. A couple of places list his college commitment to begin in 25-26, which seems a long way off, so we'll have to see how that goes.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
adjacent transaction at EliteProspects today

1690485570880.png

Roman Psurny
Left Wing -- shoots L Born Feb 23 1986 -- Zlin, Czech Rep. [37 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 191 [185 cm/87 kg]
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 5 #135 overall 2004 NHL Entry Draft

• Wow
Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
adjacent transaction at EliteProspects today

View attachment 731741

Roman Psurny
Left Wing -- shoots L Born Feb 23 1986 -- Zlin, Czech Rep. [37 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 191 [185 cm/87 kg]
Drafted by New York Rangers - round 5 #135 overall 2004 NHL Entry Draft
It's always fun to go back and look at drafts from the 80s, 90s, and early 00s. The Rangers would always draft a couple guys that were basically out of hockey or playing semi-pro within a few years, or some guys that maxed out as crappy players in lower level European leagues.

Scouting has come a long way. Those late round guys, we talk about a crapshoot now, back then it was blindly throwing a dart at a map. I think the conditions in the AHL and ECHL have also improved significantly which provides additional incentive for guys to hang around, where 25 years ago the idea of spending several years as an AHL/ECHL tweener was totally unappealing.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Oh okay thanks
The thing they're doing now, the World Junior Summer Showcase, is like a very early camp for Team USA (as well as Sweden and Finland) to get a look at guys who should or might be on the World Junior Championship teams. Canada used to send a team as well but they stopped doing that recently, and this year apparently they're basically just doing Zoom meetings with the kids if what I understand is correct.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The thing they're doing now, the World Junior Summer Showcase, is like a very early camp for Team USA (as well as Sweden and Finland) to get a look at guys who should or might be on the World Junior Championship teams. Canada used to send a team as well but they stopped doing that recently, and this year apparently they're basically just doing Zoom meetings with the kids if what I understand is correct.
I wish the summer showcase was televised on NHL Network. It seems like a fun tournament to watch

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Shawinigan making a push, while Moncton tries to acquire assets to build a new team in the next couple years. Seems fine for both sides.

Barbashev's value isn't that high due to his age. They get 1 year of Barbashev out of this deal, assuming he doesn't sign his ELC and goes to Hartford.
Shawinigan was worse than Moncton last season, actually one of the worst teams. Adding Barb doesn’t move the needle much at all. Again, very odd trade.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Shawinigan was worse than Moncton last season, actually one of the worst teams. Adding Barb doesn’t move the needle much at all. Again, very odd trade.

Perhaps. It's a bit of a weird one, but I wouldn't say it's a bad trade. Barbashev doesn't have that much value due to his age (early birthday and all), and he's not a star in the Q either.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Due to his age as an overager and the fact that he takes an import spot Barbashev’s value is not that high. Teams can only have 3 overagers and 2 imports and he takes two of those spots. Moncton drafted 2 new imports for their contending season in 2024-2025.

Shawinigan is at the start of a rebuild but I guess they wanted to add some offense to help their young team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad