Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.22.2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Could he make his NHL debut this year if injuries happen and or someone needs a rest? Does he have NHL potential? I see Dan Girardi upside.
I don't think it's completely out of left field if he gets a look at some point for a game or two.

Not sure about his waiver exemptions, if he has any. He is 23 this year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think it's completely out of left field if he gets a look at some point for a game or two.

Not sure about his waiver exemptions, if he has any. He is 23 this year.

Ty Emberson signed his ELC at age 20 in 2020.

For a player at that age, he becomes waiver eligible after:

- 3 pro seasons, OR
- 160 NHL games played (pro-rated to 143 in Emberson's case due to the shortened seasons)

Emberson has completed his 3rd pro season in 2022-23. As a result, he has to clear waivers at the start of the 2023-24 season and beyond.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

- 3 pro seasons, OR
- 160 NHL games played (pro-rated to 143 in Emberson's case due to the shortened seasons)

Emberson has completed his 3rd pro season in 2022-23. As a result, he has to clear waivers at the start of the 2023-24 season and beyond.

I wonder if some team like Coyotes would claim him if put on waivers. Maybe he gets traded if he does not make the team out of camp.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
- 3 pro seasons, OR
Emberson susceptible to Waivers because
he 'burned' his 1st contract year in spring'21
when he turned pro from Wisco and played 5 AHL games

NYR gonna have to waive Emberson, and,
unless they have D injuries, or retain 8 D,
2 of Gus/Jones/Mackey/Harpur

but, most likely, i anticipate none will claimed

i think this fall there will be scores of D's and F's on waivers,
and very few will be claimed

all teams have some level roster, Cap, contracts considerations

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Damn he can get claimed?

I definitely see a team taking a flyer on on young defenseman who just turned 23 and won one of the best defensive dman honors in the AHL.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yes, but this is often a request when players negotiate their ELCs. It is more common with UDFAs, but it happens with draftees as well.

Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Carlie McAvoy etc are examples of players who went this route.

On a positive note for the team, this means the player has accrued more pro-seasons for ELC years, than they do for pro-seasons to determine RFA status.

This is where the elusive 10.2(c) status comes in. It essentially means a player is RFA with limitations. They are not eligible to sign an offer sheet (see attached).

This is one of those things that makes it difficult to explain to fans. The term "pro year" is subject to what you are trying to determine.

- Pro year towards UFA eligibility
- Pro year towards offer sheet eligibility
- Pro year towards waiver eligibility
- Pro year towards counting as an ELC year

It can get very confusing.

1688927777514.png

Reactions: cwede

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK, it doesn't seem to me that the organization is super high on Jones. I know there have maybe been some signals recently that they think he's ready, but that could be a smokescreen. I still kind of half expect him to be moved for a similarly-situated forward prospect, or even just a pick. The latter would drive people crazy, though.

They also added a lot of depth/competition, so moving him wouldn't hurt the depth in either New York or Hartford as much as it would have last season.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

- 3 pro seasons, OR

According to Cap Friendly the three "prospects" who are subject to waivers are Emberson, Hallowell, and Jones. Lots of veterans will have to clear waivers but as cwede said there are lots of players put on waivers are very few are picked up because the player has to stay on the major league roster or be subject to waivers again.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
According to Cap Friendly the three "prospects" who are subject to waivers are Emberson, Hallowell, and Jones. Lots of veterans will have to clear waivers but as cwede said there are lots of players put on waivers are very few are picked up because the player has to stay on the major league roster or be subject to waivers again.

Correct.

Jones had the same triggers as Emberson. Hollowell only needed 80 games played (72 pro-rated due to a shortened season in 2019-20)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I swear if the Rangers waive Emberson and lose him for nothing but keep Harpoon, I'm going to drink. Heavily.
Both will most likely be placed on waivers.

There's enough UFA depth still out there that can be brought in on PTOs and signed in case some teams go claim crazy.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Correct.

Jones had the same triggers as Emberson. Hollowell only needed 80 games played (72 pro-rated due to a shortened season in 2019-20)
Given the Rangers very tight cap I think it is very unlikely that the team keeps eight defensemen. The five starters from last year plus Gustafson are six. The seventh will likely be Jones but if he does not impress in pre season then, as nyr2k2 suggests, I think he will be traded. Or if there is an injury the Rangers might keep an eighth defenseman. Drury will have a good idea of league interest in Emberson and will consider that in making a decision on whether to put Emberson on waivers, keep him with the big team or trade him. Right now the Rangers only have two right handed defensemen, Emberson and Hallowell, with Brandon Scanlin fully able to play on the right side. I expect one or two AHL contracts for right handed defensemen before long.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
IDK, it doesn't seem to me that the organization is super high on Jones. I know there have maybe been some signals recently that they think he's ready, but that could be a smokescreen. I still kind of half expect him to be moved for a similarly-situated forward prospect, or even just a pick. The latter would drive people crazy, though.

They also added a lot of depth/competition, so moving him wouldn't hurt the depth in either New York or Hartford as much as it would have last season.

Maybe you are right about the organization's opinion.

That said, I think it's odd if that's the case that Jones has been given NHL minutes in 3 different seasons but Robertson hasn't gotten a callup once.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe you are right about the organization's opinion.

That said, I think it's odd if that's the case that Jones has been given NHL minutes in 3 different seasons but Robertson hasn't gotten a callup once.
That's fair. My only comment on that would be Jones came sort of "ready-made" with an advanced offensive skill set, whereas really until the second half of last season it was pretty clear that Robertson wasn't ready for NHL action. Again, I don't know if Jones is ready, either, but he at least can step out there and sling the puck again. It's been slow going in all aspects for Robertson.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I look at Schneider as some distance ahead of Jones as a viable NHL defenseman. That said for both of them I think they're best served by pairing with a steady defensive vet.

Robertson strikes me as a little too much like Hajek so far. Both Matthew and Libor were very good two way CHL defenseman. Hajek actually put up 8 points (second best of defensemen) in the WJC's the year before he turned pro. He's never been able to bring that part of his game to the pros (either AHL or NHL) though. There was a tenativeness that he couldn't get past with the Rangers and Robertson seems to have a bit of that issue too where he's caught between doing one thing or the other. Using Emberson as an example---he got acknowledged for his defensive play. Emberson is good in his own end. That's a foundation to build from. Between one thing and the other a defenseman has to defend and even if that's all he really gets good at---bottom pair NHL is better than career minor leaguer and defending well will get you that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Speaking of smaller defensemen making it. Jared Spurgeon built his game from defense on out--gradually adding more offense (he's a high 30's/40 point guy) as he gotten more experienced. He doesn't take many penalties but he blocks shots, he hits, he breaks up plays, he's positionally sound. Looking at Fox---not a hitter, but very good defensively, very good positionally stick and body, intuitive to where the play is going, he'll block shots too. A smaller defensemen has to learn how to get in the way, break up plays and turn them around. Puck and skating skills aren't enough....got to consistently be able to turn over pucks, play good defense and not just some of the time. With almost no exceptions (maybe Jack Hughes) there's no one in the league that can't be targeted and reached with physical play, hemmed in their own end of the ice and ground down. Everyone has to deal with it so resilience is also important.

Another thing about defenseman is asking the question of which guys you want to play in the playoffs. Those guys you'd rather not go with might be on the team or on the cusp but if they're young they're still works in progress. Dallas spent a 1st for Nils who was scratched here and there during the season and didn't play at all in the playoffs. For playoff hockey teams want even their bottom pair guys to be as reliable as possible. Defense is a tough position to get good at.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I look at Schneider as some distance ahead of Jones as a viable NHL defenseman. That said for both of them I think they're best served by pairing with a steady defensive vet.

Robertson strikes me as a little too much like Hajek so far. Both Matthew and Libor were very good two way CHL defenseman. Hajek actually put up 8 points (second best of defensemen) in the WJC's the year before he turned pro. He's never been able to bring that part of his game to the pros (either AHL or NHL) though. There was a tenativeness that he couldn't get past with the Rangers and Robertson seems to have a bit of that issue too where he's caught between doing one thing or the other. Using Emberson as an example---he got acknowledged for his defensive play. Emberson is good in his own end. That's a foundation to build from. Between one thing and the other a defenseman has to defend and even if that's all he really gets good at---bottom pair NHL is better than career minor leaguer and defending well will get you that.
Nicely put. The thing I liked about my viewings of Emberson? NHL upside aside, he seemed to have a calm unspectacular vibe to his game at the AHL level that was easier to trust.

Don't know if his tools will be good enough to make the next step but he seems to have the requisite hockey IQ for a bottom pairing role.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Nicely put. The thing I liked about my viewings of Emberson? NHL upside aside, he seemed to have a calm unspectacular vibe to his game at the AHL level that was easier to trust.

Don't know if his tools will be good enough to make the next step but he seems to have the requisite hockey IQ for a bottom pairing role.
Sounds like a less skilled Dan Girardi. Does he block shots and hit like him? Not familiar with his game that much

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Wheeler's summer rankings are out. Perrault 15 and Othmann 48. Jones is an HM.

15. Gabe Perreault, LW, 18 (New York Rangers — No. 23, 2023)

I’ve stuck my neck out on Perreault for a year and I’m prepared to hold firm with my evaluation here, too. Eventually, when the points pile up like they did, and they happen making the kinds of plays that he did, you can’t ignore them. Say what you will, he’s now the NTDP’s single-season points record holder. He didn’t even pass Auston Matthews and Jack Hughes by a narrow margin when it was all said and done, either. There are many who’ve settled lower on Perreault because of the combination of his skinny frame (though he looked stronger all four times I bumped into him over the course of this season at the rink), the linemates he played with, and perceived questions about his skating.

I see a clever-beyond-belief facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders). The son of longtime NHLer Yanic Perreault and brother of Ducks prospect Jacob, Gabe doesn’t have his dad’s defensive acumen or his brother’s build (he’s listed at 165 pounds now), but he’s an intuitive, highly intelligent player who sees the play develop offensively at a more advanced level than his two family members did/do — and than almost anybody on this list does. He’s got extremely quick hands to complement that mind for the game offensively and allow him to execute the plays he sees. He problem-solves his way out of trouble as well as just about anyone on this list, too. He’s got dexterous tools catching, tipping and redirecting pucks. He arrives into space at exactly the right times to make himself available and finish plays. His ability to bait defenders and open them up so that he can slide passes through their feet is so impressive. He gets shots off extremely fast and without bobbles in catch-and-release sequences. He plans things out on the ice at speed and then finds ways to make his desired play. He’s a slick one-on-one player but will also wait that extra split second and then just sling a pass tape-to-tape across the grain. He has become a bit of a puck thief, consistently tracking back hard to empty the tank and make effort plays on lifts.

And he’s a better skater than he gets credit for, with above-average speed for my money and room to add power and pick up another step as he gets stronger. Because of his genetics, he should add the necessary weight and strength eventually. With the proper patience, I expect he’ll become a skilled playmaking winger

48. Brennan Othmann, LW, 20 (New York Rangers — No. 16, 2021)
After posting 59 goals and 121 points in 85 combined regular-season and playoff games in his post-draft season, Othmann’s production dipped last season, in particular after a move from his Firebirds to the contending Petes (though he did still lead them in playoff and Memorial Cup scoring in the end). I’m not too worried about it though (he shot 16 percent two seasons ago and those numbers dipped to 11 percent last year). He also looked the part of the top prospect that he is at both of the world juniors in Edmonton and Halifax, especially in the games that mattered (he’s a gamer).

He’s got a lethal, masked release that he can get off of his blade at multiple points while still maintaining pinpoint accuracy. He’s got a silky first touch into quick hands. He’s got that sixth sense as a scorer, where he just finds holes in coverage and in goalies to finish plays at a higher rate than most. He’s got a heady spatial awareness inside the offensive zone and a good feel for where his teammates are on the ice, regularly executing blind and clever passes. He plays a determined off-puck game that engages in battles. He’s a physical presence when he’s on the ice, a constant threat to lay a big hit, and scrappy and mouthy between whistles (there’s a bit of a chip on his shoulder on and off the ice, honestly). He’s got great hands around the net and on tips. He plays a direct, attacking game with the puck and he has worked hard to get stronger and a step quicker so that he can make the most out of his natural gifts on the ice. He has gotten better and better at reading the play and breaking up passes defensively, and at moving his feet off the puck not just to chase hits but to get up and under sticks and stay on pucks. He’s got the ability to become a top-six, top power-play scoring winger with some snarl.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
The description of Perreault sounds like Fox.

I need to see him in college, but I think Perreault will have an immediate impact in the NHL. Hockey IQ is 100% translatable.
Just moved to the Hartford area, looking forward to catching a UCONN-BU game for sure lol.

IQ is one of the few things you can't teach and helps cover other deficiencies, I'm excited.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

NYR gonna have to waive Emberson, and,
unless they have D injuries, or retain 8 D,
2 of Gus/Jones/Mackey/Harpur

but, most likely, i anticipate none will claimed

i think this fall there will be scores of D's and F's on waivers,
and very few will be claimed

all teams have some level roster, Cap, contracts considerations
Yeah. This seems to be the biggest and hopefully last flat cap wasteland season. Tons of talent getting squeezed right out of the league. Doubt many waiver claims are made - at least early. Most rosters and caps are full.

Reactions: Ranger Ric
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad