NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 2 & the Field of Eight

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
totally disagree
Same here. I didn't get the Tampa Bay Lightning fear that a lot of folks on this board had, leading into the playoffs. I fully expected Florida to dust them in 5-6 games.

This isn't the same Tampa team that it was 2-3 years ago and I think we're better than them this season. I really didn't care whether we played them in round 1 or not. They didn't scare me last year, and the definitely didn't scare me this year. Hell, TORONTO knocked them out last year in Rd 1.

Playing Florida on the other hand, is going to be a tough mountain to climb.....

Reactions: Aeroforce

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
totally disagree

Their D without Sergachev is shallow and their bottom six forwards are below average for a playoff team.

And I don't care how good a coach Jon Cooper is. 11 years behind the same bench no chance his message is resonating like it did before.

I don't think their window has closed but they need to do a better job finding quality players to surround that core group.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Gotta wonder if TB exits early and has a very long (for them) off season to rest/heal up do they have one more kick at the can left in them next year?
I don’t see it at this point.

Probably time to punt and rebuild the thing.
Then again, I said the same thing about the Bruins year after year haha.

We’ll see if Buffalo and Detroit ever take that next step we all keep waiting for them to take.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I don’t see it at this point.

Probably time to punt and rebuild the thing.
Then again, I said the same thing about the Bruins year after year haha.

We’ll see if Buffalo and Detroit ever take that next step we all keep waiting for them to take.
TB will be interesting to follow this offseason for sure.

Stammer is a UFA for starters and they’re pretty tight against the cap as it is. Their core is still elite (Kuch, Hedman, Vasi, Point, Sergachev) and they have a few good complementary pieces in Cirelli and Hagel. Jeannot hasn’t really worked out and the rest of the bottom six and bottom D is underwhelming at best. Plus, they’ve traded away a LOT of draft capital. They’ll have to be really smart in free agency if they’re aiming to be a factor again and I can’t see them tearing it down just yet, with or without Stamkos.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I was slightly miffed at the Bruins for mailing it in the last two games of the regular season. I thought Tampa would be an easier out, and despite past history, would've preferred home ice if they advanced against Florida.

All's well that ends well, and hopefully it becomes a moot point.

But 5X5 Tampa is imminently beatable. Even the Panthers are playing whistle-to-whistle against them, and reaping the rewards.

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think Detroit has already taken the next step. I think they would have been a lock for the playoffs if Larkin doesn't get hurt at the beginning of March. I think they ended up losing like 6-7 in a row after that happened.

.I think Lindy Ruff is going to be a good hire for Buffalo. That team needs a hard-assed coach. They've got the talent, they just need a little more accountability and a firmer hand. I think Don Granato babied that team a little too much.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think Detroit has already taken the next step. I think they would have been a lock for the playoffs if Larkin doesn't get hurt at the beginning of March. I think they ended up losing like 6-7 in a row after that happened.

.I think Lindy Ruff is going to be a good hire for Buffalo. That team needs a hard-assed coach. They've got the talent, they just need a little more accountability and a firmer hand. I think Don Granato babied that team a little too much.
Question facing the Pegulas/Sabres is it them or is it the franchise, tbth......

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I wish Boston drew Washington or Tampa Bay at this point. Some dreadful efforts from them so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad