Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hopefully, we see Kova for another game. I really want to see his game again as you have to think he was overly simplifying his game for the first time in the lineup with little to no practice with the team.

Beyond that Kiviranta has looked great so I think Deuheime likely should draw out for a game if Drouin is back.
Not a chance. Duhaime has also been good. Just look at ice time, Kovalenko is essentially benched.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not a chance. Duhaime has also been good. Just look at ice time, Kovalenko is essentially benched.
Yeah so I'm not saying that Kovalenko should definitively be benched, nor am I saying he should definitively be starting.

He had some very BAD mistakes last game, one of them ended up in the back of the net (though, honestly that was also George's worst goal given up in the game, very clean shot with no one in front of him and he just didn't get it); the other mistake could have ended up in the back of the net.

I think it's VERY obvious that the best case scenario is that he needs as much practice time with this team to get as close to acclimated with his NHL teammates as possible. At worst he is in over his head w/ the NHL speed in the Playoffs and will need to basically be benched and then reset for next season (Camp, pre-Season, season).

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah so I'm not saying that Kovalenko should definitively be benched, nor am I saying he should definitively be starting.

He had some very BAD mistakes last game, one of them ended up in the back of the net (though, honestly that was also George's worst goal given up in the game, very clean shot with no one in front of him and he just didn't get it); the other mistake could have ended up in the back of the net.

I think it's VERY obvious that the best case scenario is that he needs as much practice time with this team to get as close to acclimated with his NHL teammates as possible. At worst he is in over his head w/ the NHL speed in the Playoffs and will need to basically be benched and then reset for next season (Camp, pre-Season, season).
Hopefully he’s also got the dedication to not only learn and apply in practice, but to spend the necessary time in the film room to understand where he needs to be, where his teammates should be, and what do under the scenarios where either of those break down.

At minimum, he HAS to be smart and careful with the puck.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
We’d lose our credentials if we talked to an injured player. Not the same rules for everyone, unfortunately.
This is not aimed at you, you are doing a good job, and I get that the Avs are difficult. But (to all Avs media contingent) get intermidiaries, get sources, get the news. By not getting the news you are showing the Avs that they can control the news. It's a vicious circle.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is not aimed at you, you are doing a good job, and I get that the Avs are difficult. But (to all Avs media contingent) get intermidiaries, get sources, get the news. By not getting the news you are showing the Avs that they can control the news. It's a vicious circle.
Your solution is one of those "easier said than done" situations.

The local media is pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place. People like Lebrun, Lavoie, or Gagon (last night w/ the Drouin news) don't have to play by the same rules as people like TMV, or DNVR.

Remember when The Athletic came to town with Ryan Clark? The Avs practically treated him/them with kid gloves and spoonfed him a lot of things that other local hustlers had been trying to get for years. Lebrun gets that Sakic interview like every year because he's a national journalist. Historically, at least dating back to when Roy was coach, the French-Canadian media usually gets/got better/more news on the Avs because...well who the f*** knows, maybe because of us coming from Quebec and because Roy was French-Canadian, etc.

In recent years we've seen an outlet like DNVR get players on their podcast during training camp, get the sitting GM on their podcast post-trade deadline, etc. This highlights, again, how stuck the local media is. If they still want to get what the Avs give them, they can't piss them off. And this is these people's livelihood, so they can't really go out on a limb to burn those bridges.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

...and do what with that information? As soon as it's reported, the Avs take action and there's consequences. Doesn't matter if the reporter hides his source, it's still coming out from the reporter!

If you think people like TMV don't know more than they post but choose to keep it to themselves, then you're being naive. They're just not allowed to let it out and decide not to in order to keep their jobs.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
You should read about how Peter and Anton got to Quebec. The Nordiques/Avs have had to employ gestapo media relations since the onset with the defection of those two. The Athletic had a pretty good writeup that includes some of the details in their top NHL 99 series...

I know the story. I was 25 ish when it happened.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Players hate wearing it more than anything else.
This is always interesting to me. Bieksa has been on a decade+ long campaign about Kevlar socks after his skate cut. Pretty sure he more or less forced his Canucks teammmates to all start wearing it. Anaheim was probably a different story since he wasn’t one of the big guys in the room. Surprised Landy didn’t go full Bieksa on the Avs locker room after that cut derailed his career

Edit: It’s been a while since the injury so it’s probably only 50-50 at this point but if this info had come out when he went down you could pretty well guarantee we’d see another why Kevlar should be standard practice presentation from him on HNIC

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Ok, there’s a more definitive answer on Drouin.

About a 4 week recovery from the injury. The Avs played Edmonton on April 18, so we’re probably looking at around a couple more weeks till he can come back.

Definitely want to see that Stars/Knights series to go 7 now. Sounds like Drouin might be available by like game 5 of the second round. Not ideal, but could be worse.

Reactions: GeoRox89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is always interesting to me. Bieksa has been on a decade+ long campaign about Kevlar socks after his skate cut. Pretty sure he more or less forced his Canucks teammmates to all start wearing it. Anaheim was probably a different story since he wasn’t one of the big guys in the room. Surprised Landy didn’t go full Bieksa on the Avs locker room after that cut derailed his career
It is mostly a comfort thing. It doesn't feel the same movement wise and it certainly is different from an airflow/sweating perspective. So players aren't used to it and don't want to take the time to get used to it. Similar to visors and helmets in the past. Plus the whole macho part of the game.

It won't be a huge deal in 5-6 years though. Lower leagues have already mandated it. The AHL has wrist and sock protection already, they'll likely extend to neck and legging soon. Once the players come up with those protections and get used to it, they'll likely keep them. We may also see it in the new CBA where all new players are simply required to wear them.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
...and do what with that information? As soon as it's reported, the Avs take action and there's consequences. Doesn't matter if the reporter hides his source, it's still coming out from the reporter!

If you think people like TMV don't know more than they post but choose to keep it to themselves, then you're being naive. They're just not allowed to let it out and decide not to in order to keep their jobs.
I can get it out of him.

@The Mars Volchenkov don't reply in the next five minutes if Landeskog is coming back for round two.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Avs media doesn't fight back and feels quite secure under the boot of Martineau. There are ways to leak the info to 3rd parties, and even trade that for benefit for themselves. But Avs media is just very weak.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Just listened to Bednar presser again after the game. He said Drouin’s timeline is 4 weeks or less. If it’s exactly 4 weeks we’re looking at game 4 or 5 return date, but if it’s less, maybe game 2? It’s possible since he said 4 weeks or less

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs media doesn't fight back and feels quite secure under the boot of Martineau. There are ways to leak the info to 3rd parties, and even trade that for benefit for themselves. But Avs media is just very weak.

Yeah, IMO too many Avs reporters over the years just accepted this, and now it's become the standard, and the new people are afraid to go against the grain to stand up against it.

What are the Avs really gonna do? They're not gonna pull credentials for reporting a rumor. Especially if it's true. They're not feeding reporters much of anything, because nothing ever comes out, so they wouldn't miss out on much there.

What they may or may not do, is give them less access to players, but that's not really a big thing for anyone here anyway. They almost never do any 1 on 1 interviews. The Avs don't like making their players do that, and the few they do, mostly go to Altitude. Most everything else comes from press scrums that they'd be allowed to continue with.

If someone wants to stand out, they should put in the work with their sources, and find themselves a niche as someone who provides actual info on the Avs, when no one else does. The positives from that could be more than whatever negatives comes from the team.

Edit: Quoted wrong post.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad