2023/2024 Champions League

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
Yet there are posters that insist this Champions League has any value at all.lol

I think I have asked this before, but am too lazy to look it up. Coming from a Canadian perspective, I think it's pretty cool how there are so many domestic leagues and one can have this type of tournament run concurrent with the regular season. Why does this not seem to want to take off/have interest? I get it's not soccer(football), but it seems like this is a pretty cool set up.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I think I have asked this before, but am too lazy to look it up. Coming from a Canadian perspective, I think it's pretty cool how there are so many domestic leagues and one can have this type of tournament run concurrent with the regular season. Why does this not seem to want to take off/have interest? I get it's not soccer(football), but it seems like this is a pretty cool set up.
In my opinion there are many different reasons. In contrast to football, where the UEFA CL is a money-making machine and the clubs generate massive revenues, the CHL is not lucrative for the teams involved. It's also the case that most fans prefer the domestic leagues and a win in a derby or against their arch-rivals in the league is still considered more important (which I don't understand because I think it's more interesting if NL teams face SHL, DEL, Liiga etc. team than game 27 of the regular season).

Reactions: Blueston

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
In my opinion there are many different reasons. In contrast to football, where the UEFA CL is a money-making machine and the clubs generate massive revenues, the CHL is not lucrative for the teams involved. It's also the case that most fans prefer the domestic leagues and a win in a derby or against their arch-rivals in the league is still considered more important (which I don't understand because I think it's more interesting if NL teams face SHL, DEL, Liiga etc. team than game 27 of the regular season).

Interesting. Is the fan preference for domestic the driver then for the lack of money? I mean I can watch some of the matches here in Canada. Not sure if it's basically free to the network to carry, and that's why they have it. Seems strange it would not be a money maker.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Interesting. Is the fan preference for domestic the driver then for the lack of money? I mean I can watch some of the matches here in Canada. Not sure if it's basically free to the network to carry, and that's why they have it. Seems strange it would not be a money maker.
I don't know the exact figures, but the broadcasting rights for the TV stations are not free. I think only the hardcore fans are really willing to pay to watch these games. The revenue the clubs get is not really lucrative. For a Czech team, for example, the cost of an away game in Switzerland is likely to significantly exceed the revenue they can generate.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
I don't know the exact figures, but the broadcasting rights for the TV stations are not free. I think only the hardcore fans are really willing to pay to watch these games. The revenue the clubs get is not really lucrative. For a Czech team, for example, the cost of an away game in Switzerland is likely to significantly exceed the revenue they can generate.

Wow. So even with our network here paying who knows what for the TV rights to show this in Canada, along with I assume other networks(or is it only available on a pay per view basis in Europe?)... you would think teams would at least break even on this stuff. Is the organizing committee inept, or is this a case of someone trying to push a square peg through a round hole(ie., there is no market for this type of event). Crowds don't seem too bad when I've watched games.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
So apparently Cervenka cannot play the second QF for Rapperswil vs Vitkovice as there is a rule between the CHL and IIHF that the national team has priority.
And they can demand the player to be with the NT at least 48 hours before the first game. Now the fun part is that Rapperswil (Cervenka’s team) plays against a Czech team. There are also players from Rapperswil nominated for the Swiss NT, but they were granted to only arrive at the camp a day later, Czech NT denied that request.

Overall a really bad look for the CHL and also the Czech NT. Just let the player play his game and then he can come later and you sit him for the first game of a, lets be honest, friendly game.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I don't think the Czech federation would have insisted on their rights if Rapperswil's opponents in the quarter-finals were from Sweden or Finland, honi soit qui mal y pense.... at least Cervenka is not too much of a loss in his current form

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I don't think the Czech federation would have insisted on their rights if Rapperswil's opponents in the quarter-finals were from Sweden or Finland, honi soit qui mal y pense.... at least Cervenka is not too much of a loss in his current form
Yeah it certainly feels that way, again, a really bad look mainly for the CHL and their agreement, but also for the Czech NT.

Reactions: Blueston

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
chl-vit-001.jpg

translation:
HC VÍTKOVICE RIDERA strongly objects to the biased decision-making of the CHL quarterfinal match between Vítkovice and Rapperswil by referees Ladislav Smetana and Marek Žák. The club is convinced that both referees' verdicts are influencing the match in favour of the Swiss team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Semifinals,

Skellefteå vs Vitkovice and Lukko vs Geneve

4 teams, 4 countries, nice spreading

I think Swedes and Finns wins, Swedes taking the Gold, SAIK have super strong roster

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
View attachment 782177

translation:
HC VÍTKOVICE RIDERA strongly objects to the biased decision-making of the CHL quarterfinal match between Vítkovice and Rapperswil by referees Ladislav Smetana and Marek Žák. The club is convinced that both referees' verdicts are influencing the match in favour of the Swiss team.

What was the context her? Did they also give a statement thinking it i ridiculous Cervenka was not allowed to play?

Semifinals,

I think Swedes and Finns wins, Swedes taking the Gold, SAIK have super strong roster
Yeah it is really cool to see. I think Geneva has a chance. They have a really good team when they are on their game. Just not a good start to the season but they have it in them for sure.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What was the context her? Did they also give a statement thinking it i ridiculous Cervenka was not allowed to play?
The context is that Vitkovice were losing and refs did not count their goal at the end of 1st period. :D

Another context is Tomáš Vondráček from Pardubice who is on loan in Vítkovice. He scored hattrick against RJ Lakers :thumbu:

Červenka? Uhh... As Englishmen say "I am sorry, I am very sorry"

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Semifinals,

But Lukko would ve a little chance, because they would play at home.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad