Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think it's totally dependent on Marner. If we can't move him we'll need a lot of cheap roster options to fill out our lineup.
We still have decent options on LW with McMann, Robertson, Knies, Dewar. That's assuming Bert isn't replaced or re-signed and they don't move JT to LW.

Im fine if Cowan plays, but we'll need to clear some bodies

Tedd

May 11, 2023
lol one small player maximum is just a silly thing to say honestly.
I'm sure you were one of the Dubas groupies who cheered on all of his moves for skilled smallish players. How did that work out...lol

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I'm sure you were one of the Dubas groupies who cheered on all of his moves for skilled smallish players. How did that work out...lol
dafuq are u even talking about? such a clown response from somebody who clearly hasnt watched alot of hockey.
darcy tucker was 5'9, 175 pounds, gilmour was 5,10 and about the same weight, todd gill etc etc, wendell clark wasnt even 6'0 tall. i could go on and on and on with names of "small" players that didnt play small on the leafs, let alone the rest of the league. being small literally has 0 with toughness, and saying you can have a maximum number of small players on a team to be successful is stupid, period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, as great as he’s been I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 9 games and be sent back down. Cowan, Barkey, Bonk, annd Dickinson are all eligible to return to the Knights next year, which is nuts. The Knights didn’t even go all-in at the deadline this year. Back-to-back Memorial cups is a real possibility for that group.

If he makes the team, great, but London is a great place to develop as well, maybe the best place. It’s not like our handling of Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren and Knies has been exemplary either. Hopefully our next coach is a much better developmental coach.

That's a good point. I want Cowan on the Leafs next year, but it depends on who the Leafs hire as Head Coach and that person's philosophy on young players. If he's an old school type who doesn't believe rookies should ever be given a meaningful role and Cowan is going to get 4 mins of ice time on the 4th line, then yeah, don't want him in that situation.

I think having a young player like Cowan given an opportunity to play in the top 6 or even the top 9 would do wonders for the Leafs Cap space issues. I really doubt both Domi and Bertuzzi will be back (Domi is not going to keep on doing cheaper 1 year deals and Bertuzzi seems to have the vibe that he's gone unless he gets a sweetheart long term deal) so I suspect there will be couple of spots that will be open. To be able to use that money on D while basically getting a freebie (entry level deal) for a forward position would be very beneficial.

Also, Dark Knight made a great point about not being concerned about Cowan's size. Sturdy is a good description. His line mate in London, Denver Barkey is just a lil bit smaller in listed stats than Easton, but if you look at them on the ice Cowan is much more substantial while Barkey is quicker. Cowan is great at tracking down the puck and getting it to Barkey and can finish it when he gets it back for a one timer.

I know this comment won't go over well given the moment :DD but considering how well Cowan works with Barkey (Flyers prospect) he would probably be a great line mate for Mitch Marner! Like Barkey, a smaller skilled guy.

And other people have already answered, but yes, Cowan has played all 3 forward positions this year. I've watched almost every London playoff game this year and I'd say his main position during the playoffs is right wing, although they do switch sides a lot. He does sometimes take faceoffs though.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
lol one small player maximum is just a silly thing to say honestly.
I would agree with you. People already named several Lightning players. I don't know how far you want to go back, but look at the Red Wings teams of the late 90s and early 2000s. Yzerman, Larionov, Draper, Holmstrom, Kozlov, Konstantinov....or the Colorado Avalanche....Sakic, Forsberg, Drury, Hejduk....these players were not big players in stature and most probably think Konstantinov, Holmstrom, and Forsberg were much bigger than they actually were.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I would agree with you. People already named several Lightning players. I don't know how far you want to go back, but look at the Red Wings teams of the late 90s and early 2000s. Yzerman, Larionov, Draper, Holmstrom, Kozlov, Konstantinov....or the Colorado Avalanche....Sakic, Forsberg, Drury, Hejduk....these players were not big players in stature and most probably think Konstantinov, Holmstrom, and Forsberg were much bigger than they actually were.
as mark twain once said.
"its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size the fight in the dog"

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Cowan will be our 2nd line C either late next season or following season .. book it .. and he will be a 75 point guy in nhl who plays better in playoffs .. up front we have no issues at all .. where our problems line is on D and maybe G
Totally disagree. Their forward group has always been thin up front since Kadri left. They don't have 3 scoring lines. And once again they cannot score in the playoffs. Whenever the Leafs lost rarely was defense or goaltending the issue.

Dude we haven't drafted and developed a blue chip Dman since Rielly. That's a pretty long time between a top 4 guy coming into the lineup and making a difference. (no Lily is not that guy)
He was the 5th OA pick. Leafs need to hit on their later picks.

Reactions: sunstersun

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Totally disagree. Their forward group has always been thin up front since Kadri left. They don't have 3 scoring lines. And once again they cannot score in the playoffs. Whenever the Leafs lost rarely was defense or goaltending the issue.

Definitely. Our later rounds are very disappointing. Only knies so far looks decent

2020 we have 10 picks. Besides Amirov RIP
Not a single player has panned out and not even close

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

rielly unidimentionnal offensive dmab
mccabe unidimentionnal defensive d
benoit udinimentionnal shutdown d
edmundson unidimebtionnel defensive D
lyubushkin unidimentionnal defensive d
Brodie/Liljegren doesn't bring anything to the game.

vs

rielly offensive unidimentionnal player
gardiner offensive unidimentionnal player
zaitsev guy who bring basically nothing
hainsey unidimentionnal shutdown d
polak unidimentionnal defensive dman.

The only d able to play 200 feet of the ice leafs got was Muzzin and he played and heget hurt by injurybover and over again during his time.

switching for an unidimentionnal offensive d to an unidimentionnal defensive D didn't change the need, just changing the way this weakness hurting you.

florida if boston doing the same thing than vs leafs and just protecting the front of the net and gave space to florida d... Ekblad, Montour, forsling, ekman-Larsson can hurt you...thats why they are harder to stop than toronto

if you allowing space to.leafs d, who can hurt you? Rielly... thats it.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
He’s great, but not ready to be an every day NHL player. Let him cook.

Last edited:

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
1715522667939.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad