Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Tam
RE: Cowan 5'11" 185 (he looks a tad smaller than that) Has he had an official measurement yet like at the combine?

You can have a maximum of one smallish player on a playoff/Stanley Cup caliber team.

Brayden Point 5'10" 178 lbs

Brad Marchand 5'9" 180

Theo Fleury 5'6" 180

I'm sure there are a lot more examples.

I'd only be worried about a smallish player if he was scared to play in the tough areas including playoff-type hockey.
R
Tampa won with several.

Point - 5'10
Gourde - 5'9
Johnson - 5'8
Coleman - 5'11

With a few more being 6' like Palat

horner

May 22, 2007
RE: Cowan 5'11" 185 (he looks a tad smaller than that) Has he had an official measurement yet like at the combine?

You can have a maximum of one smallish player on a playoff/Stanley Cup caliber team.

Brayden Point 5'10" 178 lbs

Brad Marchand 5'9" 180

Theo Fleury 5'6" 180

I'm sure there are a lot more examples.

I'd only be worried about a smallish player if he was scared to play in the tough areas including playoff-type hockey.
R
He is not Marner he is more Point Marchant type of drive , not saying he is going to be as good but he gets involved physically goes to the areas.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
It’s not the size of the dog it’s the size of the fight in the dog. That’s what our core lacks.
While I agree, there's also the case of Gilbert Brule, whose frame was too frail to play his WHL game in the NHL and his career suffered as a result.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He doesn't even play C at the OHL level. If he's the Leafs 2C by years end, something went seriously wrong.
Yeah, as great as he’s been I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 9 games and be sent back down. Cowan, Barkey, Bonk, annd Dickinson are all eligible to return to the Knights next year, which is nuts. The Knights didn’t even go all-in at the deadline this year. Back-to-back Memorial cups is a real possibility for that group.

If he makes the team, great, but London is a great place to develop as well, maybe the best place. It’s not like our handling of Robertson, Sandin, Liljegren and Knies has been exemplary either. Hopefully our next coach is a much better developmental coach.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Cowan has a sturdy frame, his height is of no concern to me, he will fill out fine. Look at Marchand for example. I love his motor, his compete, he will be a gritty skilled forward, we hit a home run for this pick, easily a top 3 in this year's draft. Thank god too, we needed this to help fill our pathetic prospect pool.

Minten should crack the lineup next year, Cowan will push for a job, might still need another year but his trajectory has been insane!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seem

Lw? Rw?

I've seen him play all 3 forward positions this year, safe bet is left shot LW, if he works on his shot a bunch, he may prefer to play RW because of the shooting angle (Kane & Kucherov being prime examples)

Cowan has a sturdy frame, his height is of no concern to me, he will fill out fine. Look at Marchand for example. I love his motor, his compete, he will be a gritty skilled forward, we hit a home run for this pick, easily a top 3 in this year's draft. Thank god too, we needed this to help fill our pathetic prospect pool.

Minten should crack the lineup next year, Cowan will push for a job, might still need another year but his trajectory has been insane!

I think you'd do well by Minten to give him some time in the AHL. I think he could be a 4th line centre but if you give him some seasoning in the AHL, he can develop a bit more offensively.

Reactions: TMLife17

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I've seen him play all 3 forward positions this year, safe bet is left shot LW, if he works on his shot a bunch, he may prefer to play RW because of the shooting angle (Kane & Kucherov being prime examples)

I think you'd do well by Minten to give him some time in the AHL. I think he could be a 4th line centre but if you give him some seasoning in the AHL, he can develop a bit more offensively.
I could definitely see him playing for the marlies next year. I don't expect him to crack the lineup any time soon if ever to be honest, I really don't think he's anything special

Reactions: TMLife17

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Sure, that’s fair, but he should push for a job next year is the hope.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Cowan will be our 2nd line C either late next season or following season .. book it .. and he will be a 75 point guy in nhl who plays better in playoffs .. up front we have no issues at all .. where our problems line is on D and maybe G
Dude we haven't drafted and developed a blue chip Dman since Rielly. That's a pretty long time between a top 4 guy coming into the lineup and making a difference. (no Lily is not that guy)

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
I think he'll at least get his 9 games for sure, but yeah good chance he's never going back to London after this season.
I think it's totally dependent on Marner. If we can't move him we'll need a lot of cheap roster options to fill out our lineup.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Please raise this kid properly and don't feed him to the Toronto star making machine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad