Prospect Info: 2023 115th Overall Pick | RW Jayson Shaugabay

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“I know they’ve got a lot of good people there and they win,” Shaugabay said of the organization that selected him in the fourth round (115th overall). “I know they’re in a pretty cool location too, and that’s always a little bonus. So it’s just a really great spot.”

Shaugabay said he spoke with the Lightning multiple times this season, including a meeting at the NHL Combine earlier this month. While he was still surprised when the pick was announced, Shaugabay said he felt those interviews went well and the organization made it clear they were interested in him.
Shaugabay knows there’s still work to be done and feels he needs to get faster and stronger, along with working on his quickness and explosiveness.

Standing at 5-foot-9 and 168 pounds, he tries to model his game after Artemi Panarin and Nikita Kucherov — who he’s hoping to eventually meet and potentially play with.

When asked what he can bring to a future Tampa Bay lineup, the answer was a lot of skill, a lot of playmaking and somebody that can produce on the power play — something multiple coaches and scouts told The Rink Live earlier this month.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy is an absolute steal. He's been one of my favorite players in the 2023 Draft for a few seasons now. I had him ranked 42, but I reluctantly moved him down over the course of the draft season and thought he was more of a top 15 type of talent.

I know he went very late, but I think a lot of that is because he played Minnesota High School hockey. That's really only his own fault. He could've played USHL the whole season, but regardless I think it led to him being selected a lot later than he otherwise would've. Even his USHL stats, which was starting the season in the USHL, playing there for a month or two, playing a full high school season, and then jumping into a playoff race, is really hard to do. That constant shifting of where you are playing your hockey throughout a season isn't easy, and I think it's part of why he only had 16 points in 27 USHL games. If he just focused on a full season with Green Bay, I think he would've been 1PPG or better and at least like a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He really shouldn't have went lower than guys like Perron or Cristall.

But he wanted to win his team a State championship. I think they lost in the state final at least once earlier in his time in high school, might've been two, and unfortunately they actually lost again in the State Final. Overall, he was the Mr. Hockey winner for the state of Minnesota in 2023, which is a big deal for High School kids there. He had an absolutely sick assist though for the Semifinal OT winner that just shows a little of what he can do. :59 of this video.

He's exceptionally skilled. One of those guys that is like top 2-3 in raw puck skills in a draft. He can hold the puck for a shift and make players try to take it from him. They usually can't, and he'll just pull it through them, and deke by them. He has such incredible patience with his cuts by players, and is always having them guessing. He buys a lot of space for himself just with his hands and how he can manipulate the puck. Besides his puck skills, his playmaking and hockey sense is really good. Not quite as good as his puck skills, but certainly at a very high level. He doesn't have a bad shot, but probably the biggest problem with his offensive game is that he never uses it. Very perimeter style of player. He's a perimeter playmaker. I'm not sure you're really changing a player with such a particular style. I think you just accept that he's not going to get close enough to the net most of the time to really be much of a shooting threat because not getting that close to the net is his biggest issue with lacking goals.

His skating is actually quite good laterally and straight ahead speed. Can definitely skate by guys and gain the zone on his own. He's small. Probably only about 5'9, and he's not really a defensive player. I wouldn't say he's terrible defensively, but probably not a guy who will ever be on an NHL PK.

I think though that the offensive upside is so incredibly high. He could absolutely be a first line 1PPG type of player. This could be the yearly player drafted 6th or 7th round that people wonder how he fell so low. There's some needed development with getting stronger, rounding out his game, being a little less of a perimeter and soft player, but the upside is really high. Getting him where you did is a steal. it's a free lottery ticket at a potential elite NHL winger if it all comes together.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Sounds like he could be a home run of a pick, but I hope he's not a flight risk in 5 years. We've learned the hard way with college players before, and it sounds like he's a guy who would play the full 4 NCAA seasons. Here's to hoping he has a Gaudreau-esque breakout season and we sign him early.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I remember hearing about this kid a few years back just tearing up Warroad, I didn't realize it was him until I looked up the stats. Crazy, he has fantastic hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad