2022 top 15 mock draft

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
1. :habs selects Shane Wright, C (Kingston - OHL)
2. :devils selects Juraj Slafkovsky, LW (TPS - Liiga)
3. :coyotes2 selects Logan Cooley, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
4. :seattle selects Simon Nemec, D (Nitra - Slovakia)
5. :flyers selects Cutter Gauthier, LW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
6. :cbj (via CHI) selects David Jiricek, D (Plzen - Czech)
7. :sens selects Matthew Savoie, C (Winnipeg - WHL)
8. :wings selects Marco Kasper, C (Rogle - SHL)
9. :sabres selects Joakim Kemell, RW (JYP - Liiga)
10. :ducks selects Denton Mateychuk, D (Moose Jaw - WHL)
11. :sharks selects Frank Nazar, RW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
12 . :cbj selects Brad Lambert, C (Lahti - Liiga)
13. :isles selects Pavel Mintyukov, D (Saginaw - OHL)
14. :jets selects Conor Geekie, C (Winnipeg - WHL)
15. :nucks selects Kevin Korchinski, D (Seattle - WHL)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Sens are by far the last team who will select Matt Savoie in the top 10. I would expect us to take Kasper or Geekie in this scenario.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Curious to why you think so

The Sens have valued a few things in the draft. Size, physicality and good 2 way play. 3 things Savoie doesn't have.

He is an offensive winger (cause lets be honest, at 5'9 he won't be a center in the NHL), he gets beaten in battles alot, not great defensively, just doesn't fit what Ottawa is clearly building.

I think he is going to get the same treatment as Caufield in the draft myself. I think he falls to mid-late teens, because he is such a risk.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
The Sens have valued a few things in the draft. Size, physicality and good 2 way play. 3 things Savoie doesn't have.

He is an offensive winger (cause lets be honest, at 5'9 he won't be a center in the NHL), he gets beaten in battles alot, not great defensively, just doesn't fit what Ottawa is clearly building.

I think he is going to get the same treatment as Caufield in the draft myself. I think he falls to mid-late teens, because he is such a risk.
That is fair, but I'd argue that after getting bigger the past couple of drafts, Ottawa now has more freedom to take a skilled player to take charge of their offense.

Personally, I have high expectations of Savoie. In my opinion, his offensive ceiling is the second highest in this draft class.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
That is fair, but I'd argue that after getting bigger the past couple of drafts, Ottawa now has more freedom to take a skilled player to take charge of their offense.

Personally, I have high expectations of Savoie. In my opinion, his offensive ceiling is the second highest in this draft class.

I think its more of a cultural/mentality thing in Ottawa too. We expect players to play good 2 way, physical hockey, and buy into the culture and mentality around that. If you bring someone in who doesn't possess those traits like Savoie doesn't, he isn't going to fit into the team. Or worse yet our coaching staff will never bring him up from the minors, because 2 way play is indicative of who gets called up.
If we pick a player who doesn't fit our culture and our mindset, we will kill the asset and any value he had attached to him. And we will be sitting here in 2-4 years talking about how the Sens "blew" another top 10 pick (for the record I don't think they blew the Boucher pick, but time will tell)

I think Savoie will be an excellent player for a team, but you have to find the right fit to make it work, and I don't think Ottawa is that team.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Sens are by far the last team who will select Matt Savoie in the top 10. I would expect us to take Kasper or Geekie in this scenario.
Not like Kasper is a huge player. They took Docker and Thompson, who aren't very big d-men.
I think it's situational.
Maybe they will continue to just favor size. But it hasn't looked good at least 1 of the times. Logan Brown. And very early, but Boucher was a huge head scratcher.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Not like Kasper is a huge player. They took Docker and Thompson, who aren't very big d-men.
I think it's situational.
Maybe they will continue to just favor size. But it hasn't looked good at least 1 of the times. Logan Brown. And very early, but Boucher was a huge head scratcher.

Those other 3 you mention though aren't 1 dimensional offensive players though. They were/are all competent in their own end, something Savoie really isn't at the moment.
Size, physicality, 2 way play, you have to have at least 1 of these qualities to be drafted by the Sens in the first round. I'll add "intangibles" but I've never met Savoie and really don't know what he is like.
This is a recipe you can trace back 20ish years of Sens first round drafting. If they aren't big, they are physical or 2way players. (The only one you may be able to argue is Matt Puempel who I don't overly remember how his 2way game was.) Its a big enough sample size though to say its a drafting pattern, not just a trend they've been on recently.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Those other 3 you mention though aren't 1 dimensional offensive players though. They were/are all competent in their own end, something Savoie really isn't at the moment.
Size, physicality, 2 way play, you have to have at least 1 of these qualities to be drafted by the Sens in the first round. I'll add "intangibles" but I've never met Savoie and really don't know what he is like.
This is a recipe you can trace back 20ish years of Sens first round drafting. If they aren't big, they are physical or 2way players. (The only one you may be able to argue is Matt Puempel who I don't overly remember how his 2way game was.) Its a big enough sample size though to say its a drafting pattern, not just a trend they've been on recently.
I wouldn't exactly say Stutzle was labeled as a two-way player. Nor is he too big and overly physical either. Not like a Couturier or something. But he was far and away BPA.
Thompson, Docker and Chabot I would consider more so offensive d-men.
Tkachuk, Brown, Boucher, Sanderson more so fits their "stereotypical" picks.
But I think some teams just get labeled to love certain types just cause of some examples. Like Detroit with Swedes. I think it's situational. Not like Sens would've passed on Jack Hughes in 2019.

If Gauthier is taken before Sens pick, then who do they pick to fit this stereotypical pick? Assuming Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Nemec, Jiricek are all taken too. I'd be a bit surprised if they went with Geekie. I do think he could turn out really good, but I definitely don't see him as BPA at that point. Savoie and Kemell make much more sense in terms of talent.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
When it comes to Ottawa's draft tendencies, I would say that they avoid small players more so than they prioritize big players. Since Trent Mann was promoted to head scout in 2017 they've made 34 draft picks. Only 1 of those players is listed below 6'0" - that's a pretty clear trend. The Senators have also been pretty open about their intention to avoid what they call 'risky skill players'. That group includes the smaller boom/bust types and players with character/attitude concerns among others.

I would say they place a high value on athleticism, projectability and competitiveness/motor and not so much on production and flashy puck skills. So I would say that Kemell and Savoie just don't fit the bill for Ottawa, even though people continually have them going to the Senators in mock drafts.

I think it's pretty clear that their intention is to trade this pick for immediate help, but if that doesn't work out and they're forced to make a pick at 7 I think you could see them go off the board again. You shouldn't be surprised if the 7th name on Ottawa's list is a guy much, much further down on the public lists. They just don't value the same types of players.

Last edited:
Reactions: edguy

spfan

May 4, 2009
When it comes to Ottawa's draft tendencies, I would say that they avoid small players more so than they prioritize big players. Since Trent Mann was promoted to head scout in 2017 they've made 34 draft picks. Only 1 of those players is listed below 6'0" - that's a pretty clear trend. The Senators have also been pretty open about their intention to avoid what they call 'risky skill players'. That group includes the smaller boom/bust types and players with character/attitude concerns among others.

I would say they place a high value on athleticism, projectability and competitiveness/motor and not so much on production and flashy puck skills. So I would say that Kemell and Savoie just don't fit the bill for Ottawa, even though people continually have them going to the Senators in mock drafts.

I think it's pretty clear that their intention is to trade this pick for immediate help, but if that doesn't work out and they're forced to make a pick at 7 I think you could see them go off the board again. You shouldn't be surprised if the 7th name on Ottawa's list is a guy much, much further down on the public lists. They just don't value the same types of players.
For me, I'm not really arguing what the Sens will do. I just think them passing on someone like Savoie wouldn't be the smartest move. I was more down on Logan Brown years ago. I thought the Boucher pick was insane. But time will tell on Boucher.
But personally, I don't think Savoie should even be available to Sens. I'd have taken him before 7th already.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
1. :habs selects Shane Wright, C (Kingston - OHL)
2. :devils selects Juraj Slafkovsky, LW (TPS - Liiga)
3. :coyotes2 selects Logan Cooley, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
4. :seattle selects Simon Nemec, D (Nitra - Slovakia)
5. :flyers selects Cutter Gauthier, LW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
6. :cbj (via CHI) selects David Jiricek, D (Plzen - Czech)
7. :sens selects Matthew Savoie, C (Winnipeg - WHL)
8. :wings selects Marco Kasper, C (Rogle - SHL)
9. :sabres selects Joakim Kemell, RW (JYP - Liiga)
10. :ducks selects Denton Mateychuk, D (Moose Jaw - WHL)
11. :sharks selects Frank Nazar, RW (US U18 National Team - USDP)
12 . :cbj selects Brad Lambert, C (Lahti - Liiga)
13. :isles selects Pavel Mintyukov, D (Saginaw - OHL)
14. :jets selects Conor Geekie, C (Winnipeg - WHL)
15. :nucks selects Kevin Korchinski, D (Seattle - WHL)
I think if it fell like this, CBJ would take Mintyukov at 12.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You think they'd go for 2 d?

Yes. In a defense heavy draft, I could see the Jackets trying to grab right D and left D with the 6 and 12 and then go after a forward next year in the first round when it looks to be a forward heavy draft class. I think most people who regularly post on the HF CBJ board would be very pleased to land Jiricek and Mintyukov.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yes. In a defense heavy draft, I could see the Jackets trying to grab right D and left D with the 6 and 12 and then go after a forward next year in the first round when it looks to be a forward heavy draft class. I think most people who regularly post on the HF CBJ board would be very pleased to land Jiricek and Mintyukov.
I don’t know if I’d say this is a defense heavy draft especially at the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad