2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Nill was quite complimentary of Dellandrea in the season ending zoom call. I get the impression that he wants him on the team to start the year. I don't think that's really a problem from a developmental standpoint, just think he needs to get stronger and it doesn't really matter where that happens. I guess you can say that about most young players, but it just seems like all the players of his archetype who have found NHL success tend to be heavier then he is now.

Reactions: Dallasman

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Now that Kero has been signed the Stars do have the 2 eligible forwards to meet the expansion criteria: Kero & Faksa.

The Stars could easily re-sign someone like Dowling and then protect Faksa, but I wonder if they will expose Faksa. Seattle would probably take him and thats a 3.250 cap hit off the books for Dallas
Seguin, Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Hintz, Gurianov, Dickinson would be protected for F.

If the Stars are planning on going into next year with Seguin-Hintz-Benn as your centres (which I hope they do), then it would make sense to have Seattle take Faksa and then you can have Dickinson or Gardner as 4C for half the cap hit of what Faksa is.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Faksa were exposed, I have no doubt SEA would take him. I doubt Nill exposes him, as $3.25 for a quality center is not going to stop Seattle. Nill said his broken wrist never healed this year, explaining part of his down season, at least offensively.

It would be crafty of Nill to play up that injury, and then expose him, hoping Seattle might think he is damaged goods, but it is a risk.

Frankly, I agree with your 1, 2, 3 center line up, but would put Faksa at C on line 4, and make whatever version of the FCC line that emerges that line. Bowness does like to roll all 4 lines, so its not like Faksa would be getting a huge demotion in playing time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars are not exposing Faksa down year or not. Eakin i was cheering for to get taken by Vegas but i like Faksa and don't want to lose him to Seattle.

The best possible solution is still to make sure the Kraken take Khudobin. I have no idea what they'd want to make that a reality. Anything less than high picks and prospects with big upside i'd be in. I wouldn't pay a 1st and/or Harley/Bourque/Daminiani to do it.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Now that Kero has been signed the Stars do have the 2 eligible forwards to meet the expansion criteria: Kero & Faksa.

The Stars could easily re-sign someone like Dowling and then protect Faksa, but I wonder if they will expose Faksa. Seattle would probably take him and thats a 3.250 cap hit off the books for Dallas
Seguin, Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Hintz, Gurianov, Dickinson would be protected for F.

If the Stars are planning on going into next year with Seguin-Hintz-Benn as your centres (which I hope they do), then it would make sense to have Seattle take Faksa and then you can have Dickinson or Gardner as 4C for half the cap hit of what Faksa is.

I don't think they are protecting Dickinson. That guy is so easily replaceable and players of his caliber are a dime a dozen.

Faksa will be protected. He's a great shutdown centre and we have no one to replace him and he has a very reasonable cap hit.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Who did Nill mention as the 4-5 "core players" moving forward the other day? I know it was Miro, Klinger, Hintz, JRob and Otter. I would have thought he would have mentioned Faksa in that group, but perhaps he just wasn't talking about older players. Would not mentioning Faksa be telling?

Either way, the consensus is that we are best off exposing Dobby, then Dickey, then Jamie O if they take a chance on a UFA, the maybe Pavs (hoping his age and salary deter Seattle from taking him)

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Who did Nill mention as the 4-5 "core players" moving forward the other day? I know it was Miro, Klinger, Hintz, JRob and Otter. I would have thought he would have mentioned Faksa in that group, but perhaps he just wasn't talking about older players. Would not mentioning Faksa be telling?

Either way, the consensus is that we are best off exposing Dobby, then Dickey, then Jamie O if they take a chance on a UFA, the maybe Pavs (hoping his age and salary deter Seattle from taking him)

Hard to include 3/4C who puts up 25 points in your core players list.. unless you want to be a perennial golfer come playoff time.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

There's nobody worth protecting over pavelski. We don't have a situation where we're going to lose somebody good.
They'll take whoever they think the better is of
Hanley, Sekera, Dickinson, Khudobin, Oleksiak, Mascherin and Kero.
And the team won't be any worse off than it is right now

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Dickinson is getting exposed. If I'm wrong and the Stars think he's worthy of protection, I'd hope Dallas could at least use the looming expansion draft as leverage in the salary negotiation. Tell Jason they are probably going to expose him unless he gives the team a discount. If Dickinson wants to avoid playing on an expansion team and going through arbitration it might get you a few thousand $ discount on his AAV on any extension.

*In the event Dickinson was protected, I'd expose Faksa before Pavelski. Though, I'd prefer not to lose either.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I just thought it was something interesting to look at since in the Stars current situation if they want to expose Dickinson and protect Faksa, then one of Cogliano, Comeau, Dickinson, or Dowling have to be signed to fit the Forward exposure requirements

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Meh, losing Faksa wouldn't be that devastating but it's not happening.

Losing Dickinson would make our bottom 6 have even less skill though which kinda sucks, cause we need more guys who are somewhat skilled and cheap down there like him and Kiviranta. Really hope Damiani and Mascherin come up and get a shot or we sign someone like Coleman.

No matter who we lose in this draft, it won't be a big deal (unless they take Mascherin and he turns out to be a quality top 6 NHL player lol, which is unlikely).

Reactions: Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just thought it was something interesting to look at since in the Stars current situation if they want to expose Dickinson and protect Faksa, then one of Cogliano, Comeau, Dickinson, or Dowling have to be signed to fit the Forward exposure requirements

Giving Dowling another 2 way deal like the one they just gave Kero would absolutely be fine. He's a good AHL player . As long as he's not an NHL regular Dowling is alright enough.

Also they can still re-sign Dickinson before the expansion draft

Reactions: Dallasman

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
I'm trying to figure out how they don't take Khudobin, considering they are taking Holtby to run a 1A/1B sitch. I'm sure there is a way for them not to, but if Holtby can't carry it water, Dobby is the most likely dude. It works the other way for them too. It seems the best risk management play, but maybe there's a trade out there that we will see.

Also, I'm not convinced we will have Bishop (meaning he has to retire) unless he has a fantastic camp(with no injury issues) and shows no signs of lag. I really, really hope he is good, but I still think it is a question for us.

Then it makes some sense to dangle a Forward they may like more than having Dobby.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm trying to figure out how they don't take Khudobin, considering they are taking Holtby to run a 1A/1B sitch. I'm sure there is a way for them not to, but if Holtby can't carry it water, Dobby is the most likely dude. It works the other way for them too. It seems the best risk management play, but maybe there's a trade out there that we will see.

Also, I'm not convinced we will have Bishop (meaning he has to retire) unless he has a fantastic camp(with no injury issues) and shows no signs of lag. I really, really hope he is good, but I still think it is a question for us.

Then it makes some sense to dangle a Forward they may like more than having Dobby.
Bishop, even if completely unable to play, isn't going to retire. He's not passing up 2yrs of 3.5mil

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bishop, even if completely unable to play, isn't going to retire. He's not passing up 2yrs of 3.5mil

LTIR land or retire doesn't matter for anyone but people paying him not really us and doesn't impact the cap either.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

They’ll have plenty of quality goaltenders available. Ones younger and arguably better than Khudobin.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I went through the teams and this was the list of goalies I thought might be worth a shout taking in expansion draft (probably missed a couple):
Ari - Hill
Bos - Vladar
CBJ - Kivlenieks
Dal - Khudobin
EDM - Koskinen
MIN - Talbot
MON - Allen
OTT - Gustavsson
PIT - DeSmith
STL - Fitzpatrick
VAN - Holtby
WSH - Samsonov/Vanecek (not sure who WSH would protect, probably Samsonov tho).

The only question for these guys are if there is a player available on those teams worth picking instead. On Arizona, I don't really see anyone, but on CBJ maybe you take Robinson

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
LTIR land or retire doesn't matter for anyone but people paying him not really us and doesn't impact the cap either.
It does matter, and it does impact the cap, ltir is radically different then both capspace and retirement.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Hypothetically we lose Oleksiak to either seattle or even FA.

Who out there would be a good top 4 replacement out there?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way if i'm the Sens i'm not protecting Murrays albatross and instead protect a young goalie. Seattle would be foolish to take Murrays deal off the Sens hands.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thomas Harley

Ideally we keep Oleksiak while Harley is still cheap . Riding the top 4 this much this season wore them out too much . Kind of need a have a 3rd pairing who can play more than 10-12 minutes at most.

Reactions: BigMacOnIce

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Ideally we keep Oleksiak while Harley is still cheap . Riding the top 4 this much this season wore them out too much . Kind of need a have a 3rd pairing who can play more than 10-12 minutes at most.
Ideally , yes .

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hey - Sens fan here. Do you think there is any possibility that Dallas will consider dealing Pavelski? With $41mil committed to 8 guys in 2022-2023 and Klingberg, Heiskanen, Robertson, Gurianov and Oleksiak all in need of new deals (+ 7-9 other roster spots to fill)... not saying you will be hard-pressed to fit them, but it's hard to see you guys re-signing Pavelski and having much room to play with to improve the roster otherwise.

I don't really know what the consensus is in Dallas... I can see an argument for pushing all the chips in next year, before some tough decisions will need to be made, but I can also see the merit in doing a bit of retooling. Is Dallas a true contender next year? Maybe. But, at the same time, with the young core there is a ton of reason for optimism down the road and a small step back today might help you guys take a step forward down the road.

That said, I am just wondering what you guys all think and, if you think Dallas would consider dealing Pavelski, what you think they would target in return.

By the way if i'm the Sens i'm not protecting Murrays albatross and instead protect a young goalie. Seattle would be foolish to take Murrays deal off the Sens hands.
I suspect this is exactly what will happen, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad