2021 Offseason Thread | 2022 Roster Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Any coaches out there who can turn a pick up truck into a Ferrari ?

In the past when the Stars have had openings I’ve been a Kirk Muller advocate. I think he could be a really good coach somewhere and I’d like to see him here.

Reactions: Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I don't really think coaching was a problem this year. The team carried the play and created scoring chances at a high rate . The finishing on the other hand was terrible. Goaltending was meh this year as well.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

I don't really think coaching was a problem this year. The team carried the play and created scoring chances at a high rate. The finishing on the other hand was terrible. Goaltending was meh this year as well.

Those stats seem to confirm the eye test most of us see. No need to tear it all down, just tweak, and hope for the best from our returning players. Keep the coach, he did what he could, realistically.

That said, a team built on defense to supposedly win one goal games didn't. There is a case to be made that since our D dropped from 3rd to 10th, and SV% reduced to average, maybe we opened it up TOO much. At least, with this undermanned cast of characters.

For all the good stats, they just fell short in the first and last important categories - actually scoring and actually stopping scoring, where they were low and average. Our PK didn't do us any favors, either.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

I don't really think coaching was a problem this year. The team carried the play and created scoring chances at a high rate . The finishing on the other hand was terrible. Goaltending was meh this year as well.

Gotta get a guy that can put the puck in the back of the net this offseason. Am I crazy to think that we could get Palmeri on the cheap because of a down year? It’s possible that he’s toast, but I’m willing to take a risk on him

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
What’s very concerning is that if you have a look at individual player shooting %, our very productive guys had unsustainable ones. Hintz, Pavelski, Robertson all hit levels that are near impossible to maintain. In fact, not a single forward worth much had a crazy low percentage. Our scrubs had very low s%, but so what? If you double a guy’s percentage who only scored 4 goals, it will be totally eclipsed by Hintz, Pavelski, Robertson reverting from their 16%+ they got this year.

Hintz Is most likely to stay in the ballpark. He got a 15.8% last year, only slightly down from 16.3% this year. Pavelski, for example, was more than 5% up from his career average. I think it’s great that we drive possession so strongly, but we probably do need another scorer to smooth things out if injuries hit again, and really just in general.

Benn is probably the closest case for a counter argument, his s% of 8.9% is 4% off his career average, but that’s probably mostly a decline in his shot than anything else.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What’s very concerning is that if you have a look at individual player shooting %, our very productive guys had unsustainable ones. Hintz, Pavelski, Robertson all hit levels that are near impossible to maintain. In fact, not a single forward worth much had a crazy low percentage. Our scrubs had very low s%, but so what? If you double a guy’s percentage who only scored 4 goals, it will be totally eclipsed by Hintz, Pavelski, Robertson reverting from their 16%+ they got this year.

Hintz Is most likely to stay in the ballpark. He got a 15.8% last year, only slightly down from 16.3% this year. Pavelski, for example, was more than 5% up from his career average. I think it’s great that we drive possession so strongly, but we probably do need another scorer to smooth things out if injuries hit again, and really just in general.

Benn is probably the closest case for a counter argument, his s% of 8.9% is 4% off his career average, but that’s probably mostly a decline in his shot than anything else.

I feel safe in thinking any offensive downturn from those three can be replaced by Seguin and Radulov coming back.

Reactions: Dallasman

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Would be curious to see their shooting percentages based on location. Pavleski and Hintz were never really high volume shooters and Pavs/Robertson seemed to thrive up close to the net

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Would be curious to see their shooting percentages based on location. Pavleski and Hintz were never really high volume shooters and Pavs/Robertson seemed to thrive up close to the net
Hintz was also scoring a ton of goals by getting the puck at ideal times where shooting percentage should be higher. There’s no good way to track that with stats, but between his skating and smarts, he was taking shots that should go in more often than the other guys. That kind of thing should be repeatable.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Hintz was also scoring a ton of goals by getting the puck at ideal times where shooting percentage should be higher. There’s no good way to track that with stats, but between his skating and smarts, he was taking shots that should go in more often than the other guys. That kind of thing should be repeatable.

Individual expected goals/high danger chances have Hintz leading the team this year but I still wouldn't bank on Hintz maintaining this shooting percentage.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I love hintz but I personally feel he over achieved a little bit this year . Hope I’m wrong .

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

Bowness deserves credit for tilting possession, but this is still a team giving possession to some of their worst players in a system that asks them to dump pucks in with no room to slow it down, or pass the puck. I don't really care for Overtime, because 3-on-3 is not the kind of gamestate that's gonna matter in most situations (this season being a bit of a freak), but teams that succeed in OT succeed because they're willing and primed by their systems to pass the puck. Dallas actively discourages this.

Attachments

• Pass Types by Team.png
    Pass Types by Team.png
    112 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: BigMacOnIce

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Bowness deserves credit for tilting possession, but this is still a team giving possession to some of their worst players in a system that asks them to dump pucks in with no room to slow it down, or pass the puck. I don't really care for Overtime, because 3-on-3 is not the kind of gamestate that's gonna matter in most situations (this season being a bit of a freak), but teams that succeed in OT succeed because they're willing and primed by their systems to pass the puck. Dallas actively discourages this.
Would be curious to see the Stars line by line breakdown of that.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think this defense first/suck the life out possession style Bowness and staff have built is the best chance Dallas has at playoff success over the next year or two.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Would be curious to see the Stars line by line breakdown of that.

Possession is obviously important, but so is type of possession. I thought it was interesting how pretty much of every team that doesn't pass pretty much sucks (course, correlation not causation). To me the takeaway is that Dallas generates shots because of their system, but they score goals from those shots in spite of it.

Attachments

• HD Passes.png
    HD Passes.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 5

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think this defense first/suck the life out possession style Bowness and staff have built is the best chance Dallas has at playoff success over the next year or two.

A good coach will adapt his system to the personnel he is given, no? I think Monty tried to be all out offense, but soon realized a more balanced system fit this core. Bones just kept it up, but did, when there was really nothing to lose, activate the D in the bubble last year, and that amped up the offense.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Possession is obviously important, but so is type of possession. I thought it was interesting how pretty much of every team that doesn't pass pretty much sucks (course, correlation not causation). To me the takeaway is that Dallas generates shots because of their system, but they score goals from those shots in spite of it.
Yeah that makes sense. I was curious about the lines/players because of how weak the bottom 2 forward lines were, and the 2nd line really was always just a mishmash of Benn/Guri/whomever.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
According to advance stats (Linked above) Benn and Guri scored 67.5% of the goals when they were on the ice with Pavs, 61.9% when Dickenson was their third mate, and only 39.7% when Faksa was the third.

Actually, looking at all those stat lines, I am starting to agree Faksa had a down year.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
According to advance stats (Linked above) Benn and Guri scored 67.5% of the goals when they were on the ice with Pavs, 61.9% when Dickenson was their third mate, and only 39.7% when Faksa was the third.

Actually, looking at all those stat lines, I am starting to agree Faksa had a down year.

Nill said Faksa's broken wrist hasn't fully healed and bothered him all season, making it tough for him to put any significant force on his stick.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I feel like a 3 year deal for Miro would be the best.
Bridge deal until cap opens up with Miro age 24, and then hes still RFA so you can then sign him for the 8 year extension till Miro is 32.

Was thinking about this next Klingberg contract and while Klingberg was on a killer deal after his ELC, it sucks for the Stars because now he wants to get paid and will probably want a long term contract at 28.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->