Music: 2022 releases for those of us that love rock/metal and all their sub genres

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
50 Most Anticipated Albums of 2022

Revolver's list of most anticipated albums this year.

Some I am looking forward to and in some cases already pre-ordered.

Animals as Leaders
Title: Parrhesia
Release Date: March 22
It's been six years since their last LP, The Madness of Many, but new Animals as Leaders is finally coming down the pike. The wizardly Tosin Abasi and his fellow instrumental sorcerers summoned their elixir of mind-bending technicality and spiritual grooves on the first couple singles from Parrhesia — and we know that's just skimming the surface of what lies within the full album.

Coheed & Cambria
Title: TBA
Release Date: TBA
Like many records from the last two years, the new Coheed and Cambria album was borne of pandemic weirdness. Finding himself off the road and with exorbitant amounts of time to mull over the finer details, Claudio Sanchez said that he "approached it in a way where I tried to keep all limitations out," which yielded a sound that's "a little different" than what Coheed fans are used to. The first two singles are catchy as f***, so that's a good sign.

Halestorm
Hard-rock stalwarts Halestorm gave fans a taste of their upcoming album over the summer with the triumphant single "Back From the Dead." But according to frontwoman Lzzy Hale, listeners would be wrong to judge the full LP — the follow-up to 2018's Vicious — based on that sample alone. "I'm so proud of this album," she enthused on social media in December. "It was the most difficult, maddening, and rewarding process yet. Y'all ain't ready for this beast."

Megadeth
Title: The Sick, The Dying… The Dead!
Release Date: spring
The new Megadeth album hasn't been formally announced, but Dave Mustaine has let us all know it's coming. The thrash pioneers' 16th LP, their first in six years — and their first in over a decade without longtime bassist David Ellefson — is titled The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead!, which plays on its grimly appropriate theme about the many plagues throughout world history, not to mention Mustaine's fight against cancer. When Megadeth go dark, it's usually damn good.

Ozzy Osbourne
Coming just two years after his last solo album, 2020's Ordinary Man, Ozzy Osbourne's next LP (produced again by Andrew Watt) looks to be a similarly star-studded affair. Ordinary Man featured Elton John, Slash, Post Malone, Chad Smith and more; its follow-up boasts Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Robert Trujillo. But for true fans of the Prince of Darkness, the biggest names may be two longtime Ozzy collaborators: Zakk Wylde, and Tony f***ing Iommi for the Sabbath reunion of our heavy-metal dreams.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Ignoring the more cheesy stuff, looks like quite a few bands are putting stuff out in January. I'm looking forward to the new album by Blood Red Shoes and the debut album by British band Yard Act. Tocotronic, Madrugada, Our Lady Peace (this does not seem promising), (British) Sea Power, White Lies, and Los Planetas also have stuff coming out soon.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
From that list, AAL, Cult of Luna, Meshuggah, possibly Lorna Shore of Shadow of Intent.

Not on that list is Closure/Continuation, the first new Porcupine Tree in 12 years.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
On that list, I'd probably only care about YOB.

Schizophrenia is expected to release their debut full-length. There is a rumor about a new Thorns album. I pre-ordered the debut Vorga album.

Maybe new King Diamond?

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not super big on them, liked them all better in their original bands, but Dead Cross has a new record coming in 22.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I was surprised Korn still made albums I had not heard their name in years. Like many I first heard of them when that Freak on a Leash song and album shot them to some fame but after that meh.

Their last album The Nothing was very good and probably the best they’ve done in years

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I was surprised Korn still made albums I had not heard their name in years. Like many I first heard of them when that Freak on a Leash song and album shot them to some fame but after that meh.

I remember a few years back I had bought then new release cd's by both Korn & Nine Inch Nails and they were both horrible. Have not followed the newer stuff from either band since but still like their classic material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
The new British Sea Power album is solid.

watch

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Opiate²

The short film is due out March 18th as part of the Blu-ray release of "Opiate²." The deluxe package includes a 46-page art book with behind-the-scenes and making-of photos as well as interviews and insights from special guests — and is available for pre-orders now.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Looking at that release calendar, I hope Cadaveria doesn't ruin The Shadow's Madame with this re-release like they did with Far Away From Conformity

Other than that, I'm looking forward to new Megadeth since Dystopia was solid, and Butcher Babies is hinting at some new music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad