2022 Offseason / Cap Situation

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
For all you whiners, and people who just like to complain and be miserable instead of having perspective of a particular situation look at this...

Sakic had his hands tied this offseason. I've done my best to reply in some of the other threads over the last week and point this out, but most don't want to hear it or acknowledge it. He had a flat cap, a limited amount of space to work with and 3 big dogs (two of which wanted top dollar) to extend. In addition to a couple other role players. Not sure what most of you expected him to do. When all is said and done he did great, especially if Kuemper pans out. The most important part is we are still one of the top 5 teams in the league this year, which is all you want to do....give yourself a shot, but he didn't do anything to screw us for the next few years. What do I mean? Here you go

If you take the forwards and defenseman we already have under contract next season, and assume we will spend about $7 million combined on our two Goaltenders, we are sitting at about $63.5 million if we assume O'Connor gets around $2 million/year. That's WITH EJ on the books. Let's assume he retires, we trade him, or for the sake of this conversation we buy him out. That drops us down to right at $60 million. At that point we have 8 forwards, 4 defenseman, and 2 goaltenders signed.

For the sake of this conversation let's say the cap goes up to $83.5 million. And the 5th/6th defenseman we sign are someone like a MacDonald but maybe costs a little more. We are sitting at about $63 million with a full set of D, both goalies and 8 forwards even with JTC factored in. Let's assume we still have him as a worst case scenario. We have about $20 million we can spend for 4 forwards....that's an AVERAGE of $5 AAV per forward. So if one of the ones we sign is a fourth line type for say $1 million we can go get 3 guys at about $6.5 each.

Most of you need to chill. We can win a cup with this roster. If we have learned anything the last few years, it is that you don't have to be the best team up and down the lineup to make a run. You need to have a good team with some talent, that works hard, gets hot at the right time and gets timely goaltending (were never going to get that with Grubauer). We have given ourselves a chance now with this lineup and have the ability to improve dramatically next offseason while other teams have bad contracts due to overspending this offseason (while Sakic didn't). And if the cap goes up again in 2023 we shouldn't have much of an issue having space for Mackinnon and Byram. Compher alone coming off the books combined with the cap going up to $85-$86 alone creates the extra money for Mackinnon. Then just have to make sure we have some money for Byram.

Your choice if you want to complain with no perspective on the overall situation Sakic faced. He did great

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
For all you whiners, and people who just like to complain and be miserable instead of having perspective of a particular situation look at this...

Sakic had his hands tied this offseason. I've done my best to reply in some of the other threads over the last week and point this out, but most don't want to hear it or acknowledge it. He had a flat cap, a limited amount of space to work with and 3 big dogs (two of which wanted top dollar) to extend. In addition to a couple other role players. Not sure what most of you expected him to do. When all is said and done he did great, especially if Kuemper pans out. The most important part is we are still one of the top 5 teams in the league this year, which is all you want to do....give yourself a shot, but he didn't do anything to screw us for the next few years. What do I mean? Here you go

If you take the forwards and defenseman we already have under contract next season, and assume we will spend about $7 million combined on our two Goaltenders, we are sitting at about $63.5 million if we assume O'Connor gets around $2 million/year. That's WITH EJ on the books. Let's assume he retires, we trade him, or for the sake of this conversation we buy him out. That drops us down to right at $60 million. At that point we have 8 forwards, 4 defenseman, and 2 goaltenders signed.

For the sake of this conversation let's say the cap goes up to $83.5 million. And the 5th/6th defenseman we sign are someone like a MacDonald but maybe costs a little more. We are sitting at about $63 million with a full set of D, both goalies and 8 forwards even with JTC factored in. Let's assume we still have him as a worst case scenario. We have about $20 million we can spend for 4 forwards....that's an AVERAGE of $5 AAV per forward. So if one of the ones we sign is a fourth line type for say $1 million we can go get 3 guys at about $6.5 each.

Most of you need to chill. We can win a cup with this roster. If we have learned anything the last few years, it is that you don't have to be the best team up and down the lineup to make a run. You need to have a good team with some talent, that works hard, gets hot at the right time and gets timely goaltending (were never going to get that with Grubauer). We have given ourselves a chance now with this lineup and have the ability to improve dramatically next offseason while other teams have bad contracts due to overspending this offseason (while Sakic didn't). And if the cap goes up again in 2023 we shouldn't have much of an issue having space for Mackinnon and Byram. Compher alone coming off the books combined with the cap going up to $85-$86 alone creates the extra money for Mackinnon. Then just have to make sure we have some money for Byram.

Your choice if you want to complain with no perspective on the overall situation Sakic faced. He did great
If you added some charming Aussie slang, at least a few dozen !!!! and your name was @Sea Eagles , this post would probably get upvoted to oblivion.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
You obviously haven't actually looked at our cap situation next season.

Quite frankly it is absolutely amazing.
LOL exactly

Back to my original point. Most people just like to complain instead of looking at the actual situation and acknowledging someone did a good job

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You obviously haven't actually looked at our cap situation next season.

Quite frankly it is absolutely amazing.
Yep, this roster is in fantastic shape entering the 2022 offseason which is when it'll be possible to discuss an extension with Mackinnon. They'll also be able to talk extension with Byram and Newhook and possibly lock them down long-term like with Girard.

Having the top line and the entire D group locked in already offers a tonne of flexibility to fill out the rest of the lineup once the biggest contracts are taken care of. If Newhook can take the 2C spot and Byram at least becomes a top 4 Dman who can PK well then this team is in incredible shape.

Obviously EJ and Compher at $9.5m combined isn't great, but by next offseason it should be pretty easy to move them if needed, with only 1 year left as opposed to 2.

The 2022 offseason also looks like a really good one in which to have cap flexibility, with guys like Barkov, Zibanejad, Hertl, Couturier, Forsberg, Rakell, Burakovsky, Kadri, etc all hitting UFA next summer (though some will probably be extended admittedly).

upload_2021-8-1_1-2-12.png

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would be amazing without almost 10M on EJ and Compher. Those two clearly limit how stacked the Avs can be.

You can pout and yell at the clouds all you want.... Fact is Compher is a legitimate NHLer and actually a decent 3rd liner. He's overpaid by 1M at the absolute most. EJ has injury concerns but if it wasn't for those injury concerns he'd still be a Top 4D in the league and that contract wouldn't be a problem at all.

Those are facts, you continue choosing to ignore.

EJs contract expires the same year as Mackinnon's. His 6M cap hit will get absorbed into Macks new deal and then you can be happy its gone away and easy to forget.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
It's possible to be disappointed in this offseason while still acknowledging that the roster is still in a good spot long-term.
Problem is it’s still a good team which nobody is acknowledging, and nobody wanted to give Sakic any credit for keeping us in good shape going forward

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's super cheap veteran center depth. I know he's not what he used to be but still.

Reactions: AvsCOL

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Though I do not think Sakic has done a great job this offseason (replacing Donskoi and Graves with much inferior players, not replacing Saad at all, sitting on $5M in cap space which could've went to Grubi for a short term $6-6.5M aav and save important assets), next season the Avs are poised to spend and they will have too. Burakovsky will need to be paid or replaced, we will need a 2C even if Kadri re-signs, need to sign a goalie, start negotiations with MacKinnon hopefully, etc.

I just hate that we are sitting here with nearly $5M in cap space when the team clearly still has needs. I hope he's working on something. You'd think he is since the Avs during free agent frenzy were attached to Tatar, Kase, Foligno, and others he could be working on something.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Though I do not think Sakic has done a great job this offseason (replacing Donskoi and Graves with much inferior players, not replacing Saad at all, sitting on $5M in cap space which could've went to Grubi for a short term $6-6.5M aav and save important assets), next season the Avs are poised to spend and they will have too. Burakovsky will need to be paid or replaced, we will need a 2C even if Kadri re-signs, need to sign a goalie, start negotiations with MacKinnon hopefully, etc.

I just hate that we are sitting here with nearly $5M in cap space when the team clearly still has needs. I hope he's working on something. You'd think he is since the Avs during free agent frenzy were attached to Tatar, Kase, Foligno, and others he could be working on something.
Read your first sentence and stopped. Multiple false statements right off the bat. Grubauer was going to agree to a short term deal? No.What players that are better and didn’t cost much money should he have gotten to replace Donskoi and graves? Third false statement is the amount of Space you say we have. When you factor in new hook and O’Connor, we are right around 3 million not 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->