2022 NHL Draft Prospects

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't think it's logical to consider any 15 year old a non-prospect if you are a general hockey fan on a message board. Now if you were an agent whose livelihood depended on making sure the player could make you money in the future off of playing hockey at the pro level, I could to some extent see the logic in saying "I have no time for X kid because he looked bad in WSI", but I still think you'd be ruling out a kid who the eye test shows is clearly talented. it's one thing to talk about kids at 15 as potential pro prospects, whatever. It's another thing entirely to dismiss them off stat-watching as 'non-prospects' particularly from over-hyped tournaments you haven't watched when many of them aren't even done with puberty

I don't know, whether WSI is overrated or not, but even if we ignore it, there are probably a few dozens Russian kids, who have better PPG in Russian major U16 (for 2004 kids) leagues, than him, and I'm sure, those leagues are at least on par with that HPHL league.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
It's quite logical, as the vast majority of hockey players aren't relevant as NHL prospects at all, hence a player needs to prove quite a bit to be under consideration.
We just work with a different kind of logic, you rely on stat-watching whereas I just enjoy tracking some of the top talent and don't feel the need that you apparently do to rule out a kid based on tournaments I have little to no context for. Considering you mistakenly corrected me on how hockey works in America I think it's a little comical that you are ruling kids out based on stats from leagues you barely know. Summer hockey is just that, just a fun thing for top players, nothing to draw real conclusions from. You can see your McGroarty and Flemings go to town and all it does is confirm that they are good. Confirming anyone as 'not good' from summer hockey is a joke

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't think, whether WSI is overrated or not, but even if we ignore it, there are probably a few dozens Russian kids, who have better PPG in Russian major U16 (for 2004 kids) leagues, than him, and I'm sure, those leagues are at least on par with that HPHL league, probably better.

There are so many factors to consider at this youth level to compare PPG stats between regions of North America is hard enough, to try and do it between continents seems mission impossible. Where do you even begin? And these are 14/15 year-olds? Sure there may absolutely be a bunch of Russian kids in U16 who deserve the same if not more recognition, that isn’t being denied.

Look of somebody came on here and was like “Max Namestnikov is a top 5 pick in 2022 no doubt!” then all this stat wrangling may have some purpose because to be that highly touted this early, you probably need to be doing something crazy special. But nobody is saying that, they are simply saying this kid looks like a real talent and is one to watch for the future. That’s all. I just don’t see how somebody can say that this opinion, based on watching the player, is invalid because their WSI14 stats weren’t great or because they aren’t playing in a higher league that is impossible for them to play in. That just defies all logic.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
There are so many factors to consider at this youth level to compare PPG stats between regions of North America is hard enough, to try and do it between continents seems mission impossible. Where do you even begin? And these are 14/15 year-olds? Sure there may absolutely be a bunch of Russian kids in U16 who deserve the same if not more recognition, that isn’t being denied.

Look of somebody came on here and was like “Max Namestnikov is a top 5 pick in 2022 no doubt!” then all this stat wrangling may have some purpose because to be that highly touted this early, you probably need to be doing something crazy special. But nobody is saying that, they are simply saying this kid looks like a real talent and is one to watch for the future. That’s all. I just don’t see how somebody can say that this opinion, based on watching the player, is invalid because their WSI14 stats weren’t great or because they aren’t playing in a higher league that is impossible for them to play in. That just defies all logic.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm getting at. There may very well be 20 Russians better than him today, there could be 20 Americans better (from what I've seen, it's not out of the question, seems like a good birthyear). He could also end up one of the best. That's all I'm getting at, no point to rule someone out based on stats that are negligible to begin with. I think if someone just posted the 20 top scorers in Russia for the age group you probably would hit on some good players but maybe there are some that you would notice by just watching that aren't up there. There are kids who are only starting to take hockey seriously now at this age who could emerge as the best as well

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Which countries is he eligible to play for?
Born in Russia, but I believe has been in USA long enough to qualify for both countries.

Considering his statistics, I doubt, he's anything special.
Considering you're judging a player from numbers only, I consider your statement irrelevant.

On a side note to this point, Honeybaked has played about 20 games total this year whereby online stats have only registered 2-3 games. I've seen the numbers produced in those games that aren't registered online.... Something like 50pts in 19GP, before this weekend's 2 games where he absolutely put on a clinic.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
He will attend the Swedish U16 camp, maybe that's what he meant.

Having seen all top 04's now in TV-pucken this would be my ranking of Swedish players for this draft, a lot will obviously change.

1. Calle Odelius - Most dominant U16 D-man since Dahlin/Boqvist. Amazing skater.
2. Alexander Suzdalev - Playmaker, good skater, great hands, calm with the puck.
3. Jonathan Lekkerimäki - Bit of a wildcard, the most naturally gifted player imo.
4. Simon Forsmark
HM: Noah Östlund, Mattias Hävelid, Filip Bystedt, Otto Stahre, Teodor Forssander

I might be missing someone.
Ludwig Persson

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Born in Russia, but I believe has been in USA long enough to qualify for both countries.

Considering you're judging a player from numbers only, I consider your statement irrelevant.

On a side note to this point, Honeybaked has played about 20 games total this year whereby online stats have only registered 2-3 games. I've seen the numbers produced in those games that aren't registered online.... Something like 50pts in 19GP, before this weekend's 2 games where he absolutely put on a clinic.
Yeah those numbers definitely sound right. Can't remember if he plays with nazar or not but I'm sure if they do they light it up

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Yeah those numbers definitely sound right. Can't remember if he plays with nazar or not but I'm sure if they do they light it up
They do play together on the same team, if I remember correctly from Windsor this past weekend, they also played on the same line together

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
They do play together on the same team, if I remember correctly from Windsor this past weekend, they also played on the same line together
Just checked out one of their games for like 5 mins and saw the line score twice lol. Here's the second one (Namestnikov to Nazar) against the Marlies I think
giphy.gif

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019

And just for transparency. Namestnikov only played 1/2 game at WSI on the Oshawa Generals team. Due to injury he did not play any other games.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
David Goyette, Andrew Della Donna, Alex Zakrzewski, Seamus Powell, Cole Spicer, Vincent Borgesi, Owen Mehlenbacher, Lucas Ross, lane Hutson, Brody Crane, Klemm out of North Jersey, furlong from Mt. St. Charles, Jack Larrigan

are guys I’d pay attention to that I haven’t seen much chatter about

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
David Goyette, Andrew Della Donna, Alex Zakrzewski, Seamus Powell, Cole Spicer, Vincent Borgesi, Owen Mehlenbacher, Lucas Ross, lane Hutson, Brody Crane, Klemm out of North Jersey, furlong from Mt. St. Charles, Jack Larrigan

are guys I’d pay attention to that I haven’t seen much chatter about
I've seen basically all of those guys and while I think they are definitely good for college it is still quite early to talk about them for the nhl imo. If I had to pick one guy who I think is most underrated of the group it is probably Klemm solely off of the fact that he is a good right shot dman with size who didn't commit before the rules changed

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I've seen basically all of those guys and while I think they are definitely good for college it is still quite early to talk about them for the nhl imo. If I had to pick one guy who I think is most underrated of the group it is probably Klemm solely off of the fact that he is a good right shot dman with size who didn't commit before the rules changed

I think Zakrzewski is the most underrated of the group.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
First Swedish U16 national team was recently announced. All players on the roster are available for the 2022 draft.

https://www.swehockey.se/globalasse...sweden-dec-13-15-2019/swe_roster_dec_2019.pdf

Caught a bit from the selection camp and it didn't really change my opinion very much. Lekkerimäki, Suzdalev, Hävelid, Odelius, Almgren and Östlund are the main players to watch on this team. More skill compared to last year, hopefully a good age group.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Isn't it then logical to consider him a non-prospect if he's playing at a low level and hasn't shown anything impressive in the one tournament where he could have impressed?

A low level? I take it you’re not familiar with the caliber of team Detroit Honeybaked is. You really shouldn’t comment on players you’ve never seen play.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
For switzerland definitely Noah Greuter he could even be a first rounder if he develops well. At the moment he has stats like timo meier and marco rossi had at this age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad