WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
They might flip Sweden and the US in the groups
Looks like they flipped Russia and USA.

It'll be a harder battle for the top-two finish in Group B, but on the flipside those two are looking more likely to get easier QF opponents. Even if some top teams struggled in the 2021 edition, I don't expect that to become the norm - this was an anomalous tournament to begin with, because the top teams' preparation for the games was seriously hampered by COVID, setting up the stage for some serious round robin upsets. If we have the pandemic behind us a year from now, there will be far less of a chance that the challengers will get to catch the favorites with their pants down.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
2022 IIHF World Championship - Wikipedia

Group A
  • 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
    Canada (1)
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States (4)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany (5)
  • 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
    Switzerland (8)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
    Slovakia (9)
  • 20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
    Denmark (12)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png
    Kazakhstan (13)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
    Italy (16)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Group B
IIHF - Home 2022 IIHF ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Tickets

IIHF - Tickets

Talked to a couple of guys who work for the Finish delegation and it looks like there is already a huge demand for tickets. Lotto systems are being set up for day and team tickets.

They might flip Sweden and the US in the groups

I hope that they flip Sweden & USA. Else we can call group B "The Euro Hockey Tour group".

Hopefully Covid isn't that big of a problem then so that it would stop international fans from coming to Finland.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I forgot that Finland's group is in Tampere. Barkov, Laine, Hintz and others would kill to be in that tournament if their teams are out of the playoffs. I think even without contracts they might come.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I forgot that Finland's group is in Tampere. Barkov, Laine, Hintz and others would kill to be in that tournament if their teams are out of the playoffs. I think even without contracts they might come.

Should be an awesome event, should be back to arenas full of people as well.

Looking forward to that event.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I was surprised by that. Thought finland would play in Helsinki

They have a brand new arena at Tampere. I think they open it next fall when the Liiga season starts if I'm not mistaken. It's same caliber arena as Finland's best arena, Hartwall Arena (Jokerit team's arena). So for that reason they want to make exception with Tampere over Helsinki and I guess they also do it for a cultural thing as Tampere is one of the hotbed cities of Finnish hockey.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I was surprised by that. Thought finland would play in Helsinki
They've just erected a brand new arena in Tampere, which draws the same 14,000 people as the Arena in Helsinki. The venue will be inaugurated in December this year.

So, a state-of-the art venue in what is the #1 Finnish hockey hotbed. Still surprised?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Im glad Finland plays in Tampere Dick Arena. Tampere is more hockey city, Helsinki is just everything city.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Oh no...

Not talk about the 2022 World Championship. Can't we bury this one first?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Oh no...

Not talk about the 2022 World Championship. Can't we bury this one first?
Well, when we won the championship in the last tourney, that happened also. And someone made topic "importance of whc" dissing the whole tournament 5mins after we won.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Nice one. But could someone explain me, how it is exactly with the word "Dick"?
You should read every post in the thread. #11 would have told you it's not "Dick" but "Deck". (Looks like somebody's got a juvenile sense of humor.)

It's called the Deck Arena, because it's built on a massive concrete deck that was erected above some railway tracks right next door from Tampere Railway Station. Practically, "We want to build a hockey venue in the center of Tampere, but there's no suitable site... Well, let's make one!"

Mohni

Mar 18, 2014
Such a shame that we decided to host at the olympic year. I doubt we see many (if any) players of the olympic team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad