Prospect Info: - 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings: 1st Annual Mike Cichy Award
Prospect Info: - 2013 Habs Board Prospect Rankings Final Results
Prospect Info: - Looking back at 2012 Prospect Rankings

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Jack Smith here

The guy struggled in his D+1 and D+2 in the f***ing USHL.

I'd be flabbergasted if he became better than Gorniak (who was already in his 2nd NCAA year at Smith's age).

I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to become a regular at the NCAA level. That's if he ever plays again as he was still out with a shoulder injury at the dev camp.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Gordin had nice attributes when he was drafted. How he's doing these days?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The guy struggled in his D+1 and D+2 in the f***ing USHL.

I'd be flabbergasted if he became better than Gorniak (who was already in his 2nd NCAA year at Smith's age).

I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled to become a regular at the NCAA level. That's if he ever plays again as he was still out with a shoulder injury at the dev camp.
Yeah, I know. But he's the best prospect remaining.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, I know. But he's the best prospect remaining.

How?

Gordin has 1 pro level attribute (his shot) which is more than what you can say about Smith. He also got into 14 KHL games last year and is only 1 year older. He also seem to be doing decent in the VHL preseason.

Gorniak was miles better at the same age. Smith would need an exponential growth to even reach Gorniak level.

I do give the edge to Smith over Henrikson simply because he's younger. He might easily end up a worse prospect though.

Smith right now is the forward version of Casey Staum (good high school player, bad afterwards), but injury plagued on top of it. Severe shoulder injury/injuries on top on severe wrist injury/injuries.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
How?

Gordin has 1 pro level attribute (his shot) which is more than what you can say about Smith. He also got into 14 KHL games last year and is only 1 year older. He also seem to be doing decent in the VHL preseason.

Gorniak was miles better at the same age. Smith would need an exponential growth to even reach Gorniak level.

I do give the edge to Smith over Henrikson simply because he's younger. He might easily end up a worse prospect though.

Smith right now is the forward version of Casey Staum (good high school player, bad afterwards), but injury plagued on top of it. Severe shoulder injury/injuries on top on severe wrist injury/injuries.
The others are nobodies (Hillis too IMO). Smith has some time to blossom into a nobody.

Edit Gordon is hard to get a read on, but he's probably a nobody. Luckily my opinion is not very important so I'm ok with back of the envelope educated guesses.

Double edit - when I say nobodies I mean guys the Habs won't sign (or re-sign in Hillis's case).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The others are nobodies (Hillis too IMO). Smith has some time to blossom into a nobody.

Edit Gordon is hard to get a read on, but he's probably a nobody. Luckily my opinion is not very important so I'm ok with back of the envelope educated guesses.

Double edit - when I say nobodies I mean guys the Habs won't sign (or re-sign in Hillis's case).

They are all nobodies, but there's a scale, even for nobodies. There's a clear tier of Gordin and Gorniak and then a tier of Smith and Henrikson.

Smith's wrist injuries where enough to greatly hinder his USHL career and then he got shoulder injuries severe enough to miss at least 8 months of action (last game November 19 2021 with dev camp in July 2022).

I look at the Bulldogs roster and I don't see how he's not the 13th/14th forward unless something extraordinary happen.

No love for Arvid.

Hal Gill is a #1 PMD compared to him. There's a limit on how bad you can be offensively and make the NHL. Especially that while he's good defensively, he's not overwhelmingly good enough at it to compensate.

The last time he showed real upside was in the U18 Allsvenskan in 2015-2016.

If he proceeds to play pro hockey, it's likely to be in the Allsvenskan or Ettan.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Is he still a prospect in the organisation??

Until August 15 2023.

He was drafted as a euro player (giving him 4 years of eligibility), but he joined the NCAA at 21, prolonging his eligibility until he completes his 4 years.

He won't be signed though.

Reactions: Hins77

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
They are all nobodies, but there's a scale, even for nobodies. There's a clear tier of Gordin and Gorniak and then a tier of Smith and Henrikson.

Smith's wrist injuries where enough to greatly hinder his USHL career and then he got shoulder injuries severe enough to miss at least 8 months of action (last game November 19 2021 with dev camp in July 2022).

I look at the roster and I don't see how he's not the 14th forward unless something extraordinary happen.

Hal Gill is a #1 PMD compared to him. There's a limit on how bad you can be offensively and make the NHL. Especially that while he's good defensively, he's not overwhelmingly good enough at it to compensate.

The last time he showed real upside was in the U18 Allsvenskan in 2015-2016.

If he proceeds to play pro hockey, it's likely to be in the Allsvenskan or Ettan.
Well, they are all bottom of the barrel. I like Smith because he has more time. The other guys are out of time. I don't think it matters much.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Well, they are all bottom of the barrel. I like Smith because he has more time. The other guys are out of time. I don't think it matters much.

Gordin is out of time because he is 1 year older and has shown a lot more than Smith?

Gorniak is out of time because he is 2 years older but showed a lot more in his D+1 than Smith in his D+2 ?

Would you vote for my 6 year nephew that doesn't even know how to skate because he has more time? Because that's what it sounds like.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Gordin is out of time because he is 1 year older and has shown a lot more than Smith?

Gorniak is out of time because he is 2 years older but showed a lot more in his D+1 than Smith in his D+2 ?

Would you vote for my 6 year nephew that doesn't even know how to skate because he has more time? Because that's what it sounds like.
In terms of getting signed by the organization. Your posts seem so angry all the time when discussing this point. This isn't important. I don't need anger for no reason. Gorniak will not get signed by the Habs. Arvid will not get signed by the Habs. Gordin who knows, he's actually similar to JS in that regard.

We've been down this road - I judge prospects based on their potential usefulness to the Habs because that's their value to the organization. You have a different view, where you look at their global worth as a hockey player, or something like that.

Jack Smith has 4 more years as an NCAA player, so the Habs have 4 more years. I agree he hasn't shown much, but if he all of a sudden has a fantastic NCAA career, he could potentially be signed. He's also had a lot of injuries, so if he's 100% healthy who knows.

Gorniak and Arvid are not really prospects anymore I don't think. Gorniak only kept his prospect status because the Habs didn't want to sign him. Hillis too I think is finished in the Habs organization. So I rank those guys lower. Gordin is a mystery to me, I think he's on a par with Jack Smith in that regard. All 5 are pretty bad prospects.

I totally understand if you prefer Gorniak to Smith. It is a totally valid argument. Or if you prefer Hillis to Smith. I think you are totally justified to have those opinions based on your way of judging prospects. I just see the time that Smith has as an NCAA guy a little differently. And I'm fine having my own point of view about it. Ultimately, I think we both agree these are all prospects who have not achieved enormous success to date. Take care, and thanks for running the polls they are fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad