2022 FIFA World Cup

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So, 2018 World Cup is a history. 2022 World Cup is the future.

What will we see there? What will we wont see anymore?

Still with Cristian Ronaldo?

Will Messi come back?

Will finally African team make a big splash?

Again without Holland?

Any new technology on the horizon?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't know what happens in 4.5 years in terms of game quality, players etc...

But I do know this will the most non-fan friendly WC ever, not only for people to actually travel to Qatar, but in terms of general atmosphere and especially for the fans back home.

A football WC is a summer thing, goddamnit. Not a November-December thing.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Infantini is make some steps forward (and some not)... But we'll be paying for Blatter's legacy for a long time.
F*** that guy.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Yeah watching a WC in November will be super weird

However I do think fan atmosphere will be perfectly fine. The weather over there will be summerlike and these days travelling to Qatar is real easy anyway.

Reactions: cgf

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
It's gonna be weird to have the World Cup in the winter but I see it like the Winter Olympics, it will be cool to watch games at work etc.

I think Italy makes it back to the main draw and I think France will be considered favorites. Lets hope they will stop the streak of the defending champions losing in the group stages.

member 305909

The dates have been confirmed so there is no hope any more, if there ever was to begin with, that Qatar would be divested of the tournament.

Btw, this springs to mind how Colombia were originally awarded the 1986 WC but they gave it up because of economic reasons and haven't hosted it ever since. They have hosted Copa Americana but some players of the neighbouring countries refused to go there because they thought it was too dangerous.

Mexico which was given the 1986 WC suffered an earthquake in 1985 damaging a lot of the country and Mexico appealed to FIFA to postpone the tournament until 1987. FIFA said no. It would be in 1986 either in Mexico or in some other country, probably Brazil or the USA. Mexico decided to go ahead anyway.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
This will be the Sepp Blatter corruption World Cup. Qatar should not be hosting this tournament but alas it is what it is.

Hate Russia all you want (and there is a lot of reason to dislike them) but they have hosted two major world events recently (Olympics and World Cup) and it seems visitors and fans really enjoyed it.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'll pop my idea for 48 teams in here now, since this is the official 2022 thread and it seems like they are going to expand for this tournament. Again, let me know if this idea sucks.

I am ok with 48 teams qualifying. But what they should do, at the draw, is leave out the lowest ranked 16 teams. Then, fill group spots 1-3 with potted teams, leaving the 4th slot open. Then, like they do now in NCAA college basketball March Madness, have the lowest ranked teams play 1 game (1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc) to determine the final 8 spots, one in each group.

This way, teams like Haiti will have the success of "qualifying" for the World Cup, but will then play their way into the actual tournament. If we have to watch teams like Haiti play three games, they should at least earn it.

Thoughts?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, 2018 World Cup is a history. 2022 World Cup is the future.

What will we see there? What will we wont see anymore?

Will Messi come back?

Any new technology on the horizon?

What will we see Well other than the obvious fact of Argentina claiming their 3rd straight WC? Some massive protests IDK?

Try not to worry Ollie... I've been worrying about Messi for years. He always comes back.

As for new technology... Cyborg Messi?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'll pop my idea for 48 teams in here now, since this is the official 2022 thread and it seems like they are going to expand for this tournament. Again, let me know if this idea sucks.

I am ok with 48 teams qualifying. But what they should do, at the draw, is leave out the lowest ranked 16 teams. Then, fill group spots 1-3 with potted teams, leaving the 4th slot open. Then, like they do now in NCAA college basketball March Madness, have the lowest ranked teams play 1 game (1 v 16, 2 v 15, etc) to determine the final 8 spots, one in each group.

This way, teams like Haiti will have the success of "qualifying" for the World Cup, but will then play their way into the actual tournament. If we have to watch teams like Haiti play three games, they should at least earn it.

Thoughts?

I'd be fine with that idea, but how long would the initial stage take?

With the winter schedule already wreaking havoc on club teams, wouldn't an extended tourney make things worse?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'd be fine with that idea, but how long would the initial stage take?

With the winter schedule already wreaking havoc on club teams, wouldn't an extended tourney make things worse?

Depending on how many stadiums are in use, I would think it could be done in a day, all simultaneous. It's only 8 games (16 teams; the 8 winners get seeded 4th in the pots). They could do it on the day they generally reserve for the host nation to play the opening match, or even the day before.

member 305909

Not gonna be 48 teams in 2022 because of the date of the tournament it will be shorter than usual and a 48-team tournamnet requires 4-5 more days than the current format.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Not gonna be 48 teams in 2022 because of the date of the tournament it will be shorter than usual and a 48-team tournamnet requires 4-5 more days than the current format.

Welp, there goes Canada's chance of getting back in before they qualify as co-hosts. :sarcasm:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Unless the Qataris are all of a sudden going to run out of oil, I expect this WC to be amazing. These, well, not-Western-democracies that see international sporting events as an important PR tool to enhance their image around the world tend to organize the most impressive events.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Unless the Qataris are all of a sudden going to run out of oil, I expect this WC to be amazing. These, well, not-Western-democracies that see international sporting events as an important PR tool to enhance their image around the world tend to organize the most impressive events.

I dunno, man...

I can't imagine going to the city square and watching the game in the winter lol.
It's an event here; it's hot, it's daytime, people are throwing themselves in the fountains...
It'll definitely be different.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
This will be the Sepp Blatter corruption World Cup. Qatar should not be hosting this tournament but alas it is what it is.

Hate Russia all you want (and there is a lot of reason to dislike them) but they have hosted two major world events recently (Olympics and World Cup) and it seems visitors and fans really enjoyed it.

All would be fine (that counts also for Brasil), if the ordinary people in this countries, will live nice and happy living without any financial issues. If you imagine, how much money goes for this (and we all know how it works there), it is only for a month worthy.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Unfortunately that will be of small consolation to the thousands of dead slave laborers who made it all possible. There really is a special place in Hell for Sepp Blatter for making this disgusting atrocity of a World Cup possible.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
1978 they played during the Argentine winter in Mar del Plata, which is further from the equator than San Francisco, Seville, or Seoul.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Thoughts?

One slight mathematical issue, you're only knocking out 8 teams. You're at 40, after the play-in games.

To use that model, you'd seed the top 16 (Pots 1 & 2), and then take the next 32 to play-in games, leaving 16 to fill in the groups (Pots 3 & 4).

The problem with that is, almost the entire field of 32 will be made up of Europe and S. America, with maybe a USA or Mexico, and one or two from Africa or Asia depending how the play-ins match up, i.e., the newer entrants will just eliminate themselves. And worse, an Argentina, Colombia, Italy, Netherlands, France, etc., can lollygag through qualifying and find their way into a quarterfinal quite easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad