Prospect Info: 2022 Draft Final STI Rankings -- Top 120

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was bored so I did a sim draft with that site @StevenToddIves mentioned. And before anyone kills me, Slaf was picked #1 lol.

2. Shane Wright
37. Noah Warren
70. Christian Kyrou
102. Michael Fisher
110. Dmitri Buchelnikov
126. Logan Morrison
141. Maxim Barbashev
166. Ivan Zhigalov
198. David Spacek

I don't think is very realistic at all, but it was fun. Also, I'd like a grade for this, but I think it'd be hard to do that without knowing what the entire draft board looked like, which I'm not sure how to show (and I think it's too late). There were not really great options at 37 tbh.
Actually, I'd say this is very realistic. It might be a pipe dream getting my personal fave Logan Morrison at #126 after his dominant OHL playoffs, but everything else seems realistic.

Buchelnikov and Barbashev and very intriguing prospects out of Russia and show you've done your research, no nice job there. I actually think both could fall later in the 2022 draft than you took them, due to the "New Russian Factor".

Warren at #37, as you know, is a pick I really like a lot. 6'5, athletic, physical, smart, extremely adept defensively -- nothing not to like there. Zhigalov is a goalie I've discussed, though my "goaliephobia" prevents me from too much hyperbole with the prospects.

Michael Fisher might be your most intriguing pick. He's 6'2-200, can fly and displays some very good offensive skill. He's a bit of a scary pick due to not having played against any reasonable competition, but he's a great swing-for-the-moon-type sleeper. The next few years at Northeastern could show him to be a steal after the 3rd round.

I took a crack at this.

What does it take to make this list? Well just being foreign doesn’t make a name wacky and fun but it can happen.

Other than that, names that sound like cool D&D or Star Wars characters are highly rated. Names that sound like fictional characters from other sources go after that. Cool Italian names often make the list. Or just names that have some oomph or pizazz.

Dario Allenspach
Grayson Badger
Angus Booth
Isac Born
Alex Bump
Lorenzo Canonica
Damian Carfagna
Seamus Casey
Andon Cerbone
Chase Coward
Emmett Croteau
Luca Del Bel Belluz
Rodwin Dionicio
Domenic DiVincentiis
Artyom Duda
Reid Dyck
Layton Feist
Jagger Firkus
Maddox Fleming
Vsevolod Gaidamak
Paxton Geisel
Dennis Good Bogg
Gibson Homer
Jack Hughes
Beau Jelsma
Taos Jordan
Nils Juntorp
Croix Kochendorfer
Maveric Lamoureux
Jake Livanavage
Rieger Lorenz
Cruz Lucius
Marcel Marcel
Hunter Mayo
Rutger McGroaty
Nestor Noiva
Calle Odelius
Veit Oswald
Ty Paisley
Zam Plante
Topi Rönni
Rasmus Rudslätt
Otto Salin
Jack Sparkes
Brady Stonehouse
Helmer Styf
Jimi Suomi
Dovar Tinling
Gleb Trikozov
Dalyn Wakely
Jace Weir
Oasiz Wiesblatt
Wyatt Wurst
Platon Zadorozhny

And the Best Names in 2022 Draft winners (it was a three way tie) are
Axel Mangbo
Bogdans Hodass
Boston Buckberger

Congrats guys!
You are truly a treasure.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Finally got around to watching some Owen Beck and I have to say he's instantly become one of my favorite players to watch in this class. Smart, skilled and ultra competitive player that has few weaknesses and so many strengths. Definitely a player that would be on my short list at #37.
Have you read my 50 zillion posts talking about how awesome Owen Beck is?

Welcome aboard, my friend! The Owen Beck bandwagon has room for all the Owen Beck boosters!

Beck can seriously skate the lights out, and his IQ is among the top of the 2022 class. He's competitive as hell and an outstanding two-way center. He's got really great scoring skills with room to grow, especially considering his skating and awareness. What he accomplished as an OHL rookie in a clear #2 role behind Luca Del Bel Belluz is just eye-opening. His penchant for clutch scoring is astounding.

I ranked Beck just outside my top 20 (#21), and I don't think I've seen him much higher. The fact that some people have him pretty far into the 2nd round is a bit baffling to me, but I'm guessing it's mostly folks who over-rely on stats and don't get the context that Beck was used in a more defensive role due to his tremendous two-way acumen and the fact Mississauga also had Del Bel Belluz.

Outside of the falling Russians, I'd say the best players with any reasonable chance of falling to #37 would have to be Beck, Gaucher and Luneau. Maybe we can squeeze Mesar and Ostlund in there, too. Any of these players would be an extremely nice steal with a 1st round caliber pick in the early 2nd.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Actually, I'd say this is very realistic. It might be a pipe dream getting my personal fave Logan Morrison at #126 after his dominant OHL playoffs, but everything else seems realistic.

Buchelnikov and Barbashev and very intriguing prospects out of Russia and show you've done your research, no nice job there. I actually think both could fall later in the 2022 draft than you took them, due to the "New Russian Factor".

Warren at #37, as you know, is a pick I really like a lot. 6'5, athletic, physical, smart, extremely adept defensively -- nothing not to like there. Zhigalov is a goalie I've discussed, though my "goaliephobia" prevents me from too much hyperbole with the prospects.

Michael Fisher might be your most intriguing pick. He's 6'2-200, can fly and displays some very good offensive skill. He's a bit of a scary pick due to not having played against any reasonable competition, but he's a great swing-for-the-moon-type sleeper. The next few years at Northeastern could show him to be a steal after the 3rd round.

Sounds like I at least got an A ;) I can assure you at the very least I did not pass on high upside players for low upside players like a certain gm did :laugh: If anything, that's entirely what I did (focusing on high upside players), most of these guys are very boom bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think I've settled on my top 10 rankings for tomorrow night.

1. Shane Wright
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. David Jiricek
4. Cutter Gauthier
5. Simon Nemec
6. Marco Kasper
7. Logan Cooley
8. Frank Nazar
9. Matthew Savoie
10. Joakim Kemell

HM: Ryan Chesley, Liam Ohgren, Jonathan Lekkerimaki

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think I've settled on my top 10 rankings for tomorrow night.

1. Shane Wright
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. David Jiricek
4. Cutter Gauthier
5. Simon Nemec
6. Marco Kasper
7. Logan Cooley
8. Frank Nazar
9. Matthew Savoie
10. Joakim Kemell

HM: Ryan Chesley, Liam Ohgren, Jonathan Lekkerimaki
Pretty much mine too, but I'd have Cooley above Kasper and I'd have Miroshnichenko in the HM section.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like I at least got an A ;) I can assure you at the very least I did not pass on high upside players for low upside players like a certain gm did :laugh: If anything, that's entirely what I did (focusing on high upside players), most of these guys are very boom bust.
The problem with some of our recent late round picks is the mix of low-upside, low-floor was almost stunning. Benjamin Baumgartner was a guy with AHL bottom-6 upside at best, and obviously we saw the floor when he was pretty much a non-prospect within months of being drafted. I remember when we made that pick, wondering if his uncle owned a car dealership or something.

I get people being upset with Stillman last year, but at least it's a kid with a solid floor of a 4th line F. Of course, that's not really what you want out of a 1st round pick, even late in the round, so it's hard to dispel the vitriol. He would have been a fine pick had we traded down to the 2nd and gained more assets, but in retrospect missing out on RD Scott Morrow and C Aatu Raty there really, really hurts now.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pretty much mine too, but I'd have Cooley above Kasper and I'd have Miroshnichenko in the HM section.
I honestly don't see Kasper over Cooley as ridiculous. I think both of their most likely scenarios are as extremely fast 2nd line NHL centers. Kasper will dominate physically and defensively, but Cooley will obviously score more. Unlike many draft-writers, I don't just equate "Upside" with offensive production, and it's not far-fetched to envision Kasper as the better overall player. I currently have Cooley ranked at #5 and Kasper at #9, but I'd say they're pretty close, and if I were choosing between them it would depend as much on what my team was looking for as anything else. For the Devils, I'd argue Kasper makes much more sense than Cooley, as NJ does not need a 3rd-highest-scoring C so much as they need a variety of talent, and Kasper's shut-down potential and physicality and elite compete would offer a perfect compliment to Jack and Nico.

Reactions: beekay414

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
What is with Cooley and Kasper to a lesser degree jumping in to make top 3-4 a coin flip? Not challenging it but why?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I honestly don't see Kasper over Cooley as ridiculous. I think both of their most likely scenarios are as extremely fast 2nd line NHL centers. Kasper will dominate physically and defensively, but Cooley will obviously score more. Unlike many draft-writers, I don't just equate "Upside" with offensive production, and it's not far-fetched to envision Kasper as the better overall player. I currently have Cooley ranked at #5 and Kasper at #9, but I'd say they're pretty close, and if I were choosing between them it would depend as much on what my team was looking for as anything else. For the Devils, I'd argue Kasper makes much more sense than Cooley, as NJ does not need a 3rd-highest-scoring C so much as they need a variety of talent, and Kasper's shut-down potential and physicality and elite compete would offer a perfect compliment to Jack and Nico.
I didn't say it was ridiculous. It's just my preference.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
What is with Cooley and Kasper to a lesser degree jumping in to make top 3-4 a coin flip? Not challenging it but why?
I'm not sure I understand the question -- are you asking why people are suddenly talking about Cooley or Kasper as top 4 picks?

Cooley has been there all year long. He's pretty clearly the consensus #3 behind Wright and Slafkovsky. Kasper's been a late riser, and I think it's because simply a lightning-fast, physical, defensively shut-down center with high intangibles is a very coveted thing with NHL GMs. I also think his offense has been a bit understated while Cooley's has been a bit overstated. Kasper is far better than a 50-point guy, while Cooley's offense is less translatable to the NHL and he did not lead his own US-NTDP team in any scoring category despite being their offensive showcase player all season long.

So yes, I'd agree it's pretty close between Kasper and Cooley, and I'd probably take Kasper if choosing between the two for the Devils.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'm not sure I understand the question -- are you asking why people are suddenly talking about Cooley or Kasper as top 4 picks?

Cooley has been there all year long. He's pretty clearly the consensus #3 behind Wright and Slafkovsky. Kasper's been a late riser, and I think it's because simply a lightning-fast, physical, defensively shut-down center with high intangibles is a very coveted thing with NHL GMs. I also think his offense has been a bit understated while Cooley's has been a bit overstated. Kasper is far better than a 50-point guy, while Cooley's offense is less translatable to the NHL and he did not lead his own US-NTDP team in any scoring category despite being their offensive showcase player all season long.

So yes, I'd agree it's pretty close between Kasper and Cooley, and I'd probably take Kasper if choosing between the two for the Devils.
Yes exactly what I was aksing. Cooley seems to have jumped into the 1-2 conversation by some and wondered why. But its silly season, Thx Steve, love your work here, dont stop!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yes exactly what I was aksing. Cooley seems to have jumped into the 1-2 conversation by some and wondered why. But its silly season, Thx Steve, love your work here, dont stop!
It is silly season. Cooley is a terrific prospect, without a doubt. But when I see him ranked over Wright, it's getting silly. If Montreal drafted Cooley over Wright, it would just be a cataclysmic failure which could potentially cost Kent Hughes and several members of Montreal's scouting staff their careers down the road. It won't happen.

But then again, I also read a rumor today that the Devils were sending the #2 overall pick for Jake Chychrun, so I suppose the idiocy is only beginning. Hopefully, the Devils walk away from the #2 pick with Slaf or Wright and the idiocy can end.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Haven't been nearly as active as past years with draft-related stuff but I'll drop my top 16 for this year's draft, which I am happy enough with. I believe the top two tiers go to around pick 12, and then there is a pretty decent-sized drop-off.
Tier 1
1. Logan Cooley
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. David Jiricek
4. Shane Wright

Tier 2
5. Danila Yurov
6. Frank Nazar
7. Marco Kasper
8. Cutter Gauthier
9. Simon Nemec
10. Filip Mesar
11. Matt Savoie
12. Joakim Kemell

Tier 3
13. Calle Odelius
14. Liam Ohgren
15. Gleb Trikozov
16. Owen Pickering
etc.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Haven't been nearly as active as past years with draft-related stuff but I'll drop my top 16 for this year's draft, which I am happy enough with. I believe the top two tiers go to around pick 12, and then there is a pretty decent-sized drop-off.
Tier 1
1. Logan Cooley
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. David Jiricek
4. Shane Wright

Tier 2
5. Danila Yurov
6. Frank Nazar
7. Marco Kasper
8. Cutter Gauthier
9. Simon Nemec
10. Filip Mesar
11. Matt Savoie
12. Joakim Kemell

Tier 3
13. Calle Odelius
14. Liam Ohgren
15. Gleb Trikozov
16. Owen Pickering
etc.
I disagree with you a metric ton, which makes me enjoy your rankings all the more. Nice job -- thanks for posting!

Reactions: RememberTheName

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I disagree with you a metric ton, which makes me enjoy your rankings all the more. Nice job -- thanks for posting!
Yep, I find myself definitely questioning some of your rankings as well haha. I think we have two somewhat different philosophies in things we look for in a player, with the main similarity being that soft offensive defenseman with bad defense are always ranked too high (I'm looking at you Korchinski). Always makes me quite excited to see which one of us is right in the long run!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yep, I find myself definitely questioning some of your rankings as well haha. I think we have two somewhat different philosophies in things we look for in a player, with the main similarity being that soft offensive defenseman with bad defense are always ranked too high (I'm looking at you Korchinski). Always makes me quite excited to see which one of us is right in the long run!
I love to see opinions which differ from my own. Then I like to be the right one in a half decade and brag a whole bunch until your ears bleed.

Reactions: RememberTheName

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad