Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #67 - Miko Matikka, RW

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don't know that much about this player, but his prodcution seems like a bit of a "red flag". 33 points in 30 games for such a big skilled guy and one of the oldest players in the draft. But mostly just stat watching so possibly wrong.

Apparently was injured part of the season, so maybe that had something to do with his inconsistency.
It seems like good production for a draft eligible player outside the 1st round? Especially for a big, raw, toolsy type.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
It seems like good production for a draft eligible player outside the 1st round? Especially for a big, raw, toolsy type.
Maybe. But still, "old" player for the draft, big and skilled, playing in U-20 Sm-Sarja (Weaker than CHL or USHL).
Just seems like he should've scored more points.

Just a personal preference, but not a fan of "toolsy" players with inconsistency problems.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Maybe. But still, "old" player for the draft, big and skilled, playing in U-20 Sm-Sarja (Weaker than CHL or USHL).
Just seems like he should've scored more points.

Just a personal preference, but not a fan of "toolsy" players with inconsistency problems.
Speaking of tools, am I the only one that looks at this guys name and hears Makita in his head?

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Interesting interview. Interesting kid.

So mature sounding even in second language. Very informed about our situation. Seems to be very cerebral and aware of what he needs to do to continue to improve himself. Im a fan and I haven’t watched him skate a single shift! I can see why they like him.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018

This post indicates Matikka will not be coming to University if Denver until next year. Maybe management wanted him to spend another year in Finland?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Certainly a calculated move to draft him, then.
Just part of the equation.

Another selection with a super impressive interview. Very focused, knows what he needs to work on, and wants to improve and be a special player. All of the above with some form of excitement/knowledge of the Coyotes Management team's plans to build a Stanley Cup Contender. Eerily similar to many of the other draft picks they selected.

There seems to be a brainwashing occurring in front of our eyes that ends with a Stanley Cup hoisted in the air.......

That's my pi-baked theory anyways.
How about we try to get into the playoffs first.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

This post indicates Matikka will not be coming to University if Denver until next year. Maybe management wanted him to spend another year in Finland?

Excuse my ignorance and not sure if this has been answered already, but I thought once players are playing pro in Europe they are ineligible to play in the NCAA.

So does this imply he’ll be playing in a junior league again, or is there another path he may go instead of college, like the CHL or just stay in FIN for 2-3 years until he’s ready for the AHL?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So he'll be playing USHL for Madison?
I assume he'd be a top dawg there, would be alright for his development.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This guy could be a sleeper. I always liked his skill level for his size as a junior. Seeing an internal (I think it was u18) game for Finland him and Huuhtanen looked quite good but Matikka was a better skater.

If he gets handled in a good way and works hard I see a capable top9 winger in him. Would be nice to see him play with Maccelli in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad