GDT: 2022-23 season game 70 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:00pm 3/18/23

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm far less mad about the result--because that was the Demko show--and far more annoyed about Todd getting shell shocked by Van tying the game.

I don't think it's an '82-0' expectation type of call to be concerned about those kinds of decisions given they are exactly his rep and we're hoping he's learned but as last year's playoffs showed and last night's game showed, he hasn't. Last night is a good example of what kinds of things happen when he chokes.
I'm not disputing any of this but the boys are rolling. Let's just see how this season pans out before we start panicking.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I’m mean, even if you are rolling down the 15 going 100 with no traffic and no cops- if you need gas, you stop and get it. That’s what I see here. Just because you are getting a lot of points, doesn’t mean you should ignore clear areas of improvement and avoid ways to limit weaknesses. You can actually do both - roll with the good times while still making minor improvements here & there. It’s not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: psych3man

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm not disputing any of this but the boys are rolling. Let's just see how this season pans out before we start panicking.
I think you’re being a bit dismissive. Todd’s biggest issue that’s made him a bad coach rather than a good coach was on full display last night. His teams always struggle against adversity. His teams always crumble. He couldn’t reign in the boys against a bottom feeder. That’s not a good look come playoff time. This isn’t a random issue that has never existed. He doesn’t know how to manage the team. You can say he’s a good system coach if I’m being charitable, but his game management ability is atrocious and it’s been heavily evident in his entire career. He has no idea how to get a team up and going when the going gets tough.

It’s a pattern not an anomalous situation.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Todd also throws players under the bus in the media. Which is an example of shit leadership. Players hate this for good reason

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Let's see how the team reacts against Calgary, if it's another disappointing loss in similar circumstances then I think there's reason to worry. But the boys have been rolling this month and they're missing Fiala, I'll give them and Tmac some leeway. I had my concerns post all star break in February, but they've rounded out a lot of issues this month. If the bad habits start to creep back in or Fiala is out even longer than expected then it will fall on TMac to sort it out before the season ends. Can't go into the playoffs on a bad note.

Reactions: King'sPawn

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Let's see how the team reacts against Calgary, if it's another disappointing loss in similar circumstances then I think there's reason to worry. But the boys have been rolling this month and they're missing Fiala, I'll give them and Tmac some leeway. I had my concerns post all star break in February, but they've rounded out a lot of issues this month. If the bad habits start to creep back in or Fiala is out even longer than expected then it will fall on TMac to sort it out before the season ends. Can't go into the playoffs on a bad note.

Fiala is skating again, which is a good thing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Again, just to be clear--I'm not even worried about the loss. Sometimes you're gonna get goalied, that's really all that happened. Still only allowed two goals etc.

I'm worried about the behind the bench decision making after getting punched in the mouth because it's showing that TM hasn't learned a single damn thing.

I'm very careful to separate the process from the results here because the medium picture and big picture are right--but if we're looking ahead to playoffs and being honest about our problems, on paper this is a borderline juggernaut, Blake addressed the immediate concerns and the results show it. However, if every time things aren't going well TM is just going to bench anyone under 26 regardless of performance, it's gonna be a short playoff run as guys gas out. Look at how Kopitar died last year.

Going into last playoffs I figured maybe TM just was being saavy, didn't want to show his whole playbook, was treating the regular season like it didn't really matter...but when the same trends continued it became apparent that no, that's just the way it's going to be, stubbornly going down with the Titanic no matter what. We currently have all the ingredients for a deep run except in-game bench competence.

Shit I called AA costing us a playoff series miles and miles before it happened and i'm a complete shit for brains

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I'm far less mad about the result--because that was the Demko show--and far more annoyed about Todd getting shell shocked by Van tying the game.

I don't think it's an '82-0' expectation type of call to be concerned about those kinds of decisions given they are exactly his rep and we're hoping he's learned but as last year's playoffs showed and last night's game showed, he hasn't. Last night is a good example of what kinds of things happen when he chokes.
As a general rule… if you want to win it all you have to be prepared to lose everything.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
“disappointing loss” is Vegas losing 7-2 to Calgary. Kings got Demko’d but dominated every facet of the game otherwise. It happens.

Reactions: johnjm22

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I get that every point counts right now, but this is exactly the kind of game we should be using to put our younger guys in higher leverage situations. Kupari's line played great, Byfield played great, they should be out there in overtime to feel that pressure and get that experience. I don't want to lose any games, but we obviously aren't going to win every one. It's just frustrating to see our veterans struggle to do anything in overtime when we have some really creative younger players who might shine given the opportunity.

The fact is that we're a terrible overtime team (4 wins, 7 losses) and a great shootout team (6 wins, 3 losses).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
My biggest takeaway from this game is Grundstrom. Is he finally going to consistently be the player we've been waiting for him to be?

I sure hope so. It would be a big asset to the team.

It just seems like every time he gets going, he stalls out.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
My biggest takeaway from this game is Grundstrom. Is he finally going to consistently be the player we've been waiting for him to be?

We can only hope right, but let's say he finally "figures it out" ... who sits?

At this point, it is probably Kaliyev

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

(or gets benched)

offense aside, he's very effective when he's checking hard and it seems infectious which i think is a good thing for the team. i just think he's maybe topped out when he plays like he has the last couple

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I think what you see is what you get with Grundstrom and that's not a bad thing. Excellent depth player, just need to be more consistent.

I mean he's essentially a 15-20 goal, 30-35 point pace from the bottom line. That's elite.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Two years in a row he has completely wilted down the stretch at the end of the season. Wondering what gives. Last year it was possible it was the shoulder injury since it was the first time in his career that's sort of happened...but again? Gives me major pause.
Another bad contract. The list of bad contracts handed out by Blake is starting to grow. Iafallo, Moore, Petersen, Walker. Next up Gavrikov.

Last edited:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
We can only hope right, but let's say he finally "figures it out" ... who sits?

At this point, it is probably Kaliyev

I hate to be the pessimist here but two game don't fix stupidity. He's been consistantly uneven all year, with more bad then good. I literally expect a bad penalty whenever he's out there.I don't expect him back next year, no matter what he does. We have better players waiting.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Until I see a much larger sample size, he's the same guy we've seen year after year.
Hopefully they used a really big iron!

1679342122683.png

• Haha
Reactions: kingsfan28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad