New York Islanders: 2022-2023 Opening Night Roster

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
No surprises. Pretty much the same team as last year, minus Chara and Greene (which should be addition by subtraction), plus Romanov and Salo. We'll know in about a month and a half whether last year was caused by all the weirdness or from the team going downhill after their collective peak of two conference finals.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No surprises. Pretty much the same team as last year, minus Chara and Greene (which should be addition by subtraction), plus Romanov and Salo. We'll know in about a month and a half whether last year was caused by all the weirdness or from the team going downhill after their collective peak of two conference finals.
I liked the vibe I saw as pre season developed. Definitely would like to see an upgrade over Aho but all in all, I think the team will be competitive and fun to watch

Reactions: Olliemets and SI90

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Before we start getting camp reports, if I absolutely HAD to guess I'd say it will be Aho and Salo who make the roster (assuming no waiver pickups).

FWIW, NHL games played in 2021-22 and TOI per game:

Aho: 36GP, 16:27 TOI/game
Salo: 21GP, 16:41 TOI/game
Cholowski: 11GP, 15:49 TOI/game
Hutton: 16GP, 14:11 TOI/game

For this season, Aho and Salo have 1 way contracts whereas Cholowski and Hutton have 2 way contracts. Maybe the latter 2 guys stick, but I get the vibe that they're more AHL/callup depth.
Guessed it right on Sept 21st for the #6/7 defensemen.

The forwards were pretty well set from the start, except for Soshnikov. I like that he has speed - the team needs that up front.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Expected but still sad to see Raty go back to Bridgeport. Lou's comments today about them being more ready than he previously thought is encouraging though.
Raty starting in the minors will benefit him in the long run. It will make him hungrier…

So Clutterbuck is already going to miss time, awesome.
It’s fine, makes the youth realize there will be bodies pushing them for a roster spot.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Guessed it right on Sept 21st for the #6/7 defensemen.

The forwards were pretty well set from the start, except for Soshnikov. I like that he has speed - the team needs that up front.
I've seen enough from Wahlstrom and Bellows. I know what we're getting there. I'd like to see more of Soshnikov. Pair him on the 1st or 2nd line for a few shifts so we can see him play with better linemates.
Since Raty and Durfour didn't make the team, we really need to find scoring help elsewhere. Maybe Soshnikov is that guy. He looked good in preseason.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad