2021 World Cup of Hockey

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
There'd still be the Olympics and the Worlds to "grow the sport" wouldn't there? Plus the various leagues and tournaments

I hear all the time about how popular the Olympics and Worlds are in Europe, (and how unpopular the NHL and the Canada/World Cups are), so I don't see why growth there should be affected much (and wouldn't the teams/organizations in Europe be responsible to grow the game there?)

Do you think it was better for growth that Germany made it to the Olympic Final in 2018 with no NHLers, or would it have been better to have NHLers and have Germany almost certainly not do anywhere close to as good?

The idea that an international tournament with NHLers every 4 years make a big difference makes no sense to me

But alas based on what I've heard thus far in the media, it looks like we're not going to get anything even close to a decent best-on-best tournament (I've zero interest in any of the ideas I've heard proposed in the media)

Yes, I think having those countries participate in a best-on-best tournament on an every two year cycle (World Cup and Olympics) will help grow the game more than an Olympics (if returns best on best) and current world championship format.

Participating in big events drives interest more.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Don't expect any help from the NHL on this if they and the NHLPA host the World Cup. No way they want to give their cut of the profits to non- NHL players. Hence the gimmick teams. Other than Canada, USA, Russia, Finland, Sweden, and Czech Republic, no other country has enough active NHL players to fill a full roster.

Outside of this board, nobody cares about the esoteric topic of "best on best." On this board, nobody can even agree on a definition. As for Germany, yes, the Olympic Silver Medal was a big deal. Nobody cared who the players were, much like nobody cared that the USA's last Olympic Gold Medal came courtesy of a minor-pro washout and a suitcase of a backup goaltender. The Olympics are a big deal regardless.

Reactions: varsaku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->