2021 VGK off season discussion thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
And they have 24 roster players so yeah even without cap issues someone like Reaves is gone. But I think he may be telling the truth here.

Reaves moved after camp + someone gets a temporary equipment allergy that allows them to go 1.7m over the cap.

Howden + Carrier are the 13th and 14th forwards, the immortal Keegan Kolesar plays with Roy and Janmark or Dadonov. Very nice use of that 4th round pick to get Howden. Much success.

Also, Savard just set the market for McNabb (3.5m) so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to re-sign him at 3m. Offer Cloudy 3m as well.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

oh **** right off:laugh:

I maintain their real target is Mika, so they want NYR to take the plunge.

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

oh **** right off:laugh:

I maintain their real target is Mika, so they want NYR to take the plunge.

Some of these ‘valuable assets’ need to be roster players, right? Eichel does make 10 million. Like if this is true, and Krebs is the focus, instead of more picks they need to be taking on say Stephenson’s contract and maybe bringing Carrier back into the fold.

We are not LA and Ottawa with tons of futures which makes me skeptical of this Friedman report.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Some of these ‘valuable assets’ need to be roster players, right? Eichel does make 10 million. Like if this is true, and Krebs is the focus, instead of more picks they need to be taking on say Stephenson’s contract and maybe bringing Carrier back into the fold.

We are not LA and Ottawa with tons of futures which makes me skeptical of this Friedman report.

They're already over the cap, so more like 12-13 million with Eichel. As of yesterday the only way of fitting him in without major overhaul to the roster is LTIR.

It's simply not even feasible.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Of course there is another move coming. Crim’s quote was something to the tune of he didn’t ‘expect’ to make any more moves. That’s something you say when you are about to do something else that’s going to piss the fans off.

I believe Crim when he said Dadonov was the top player available in the expansion draft in his view. Which means he probably thinks he was better than all the options available in the 2017 draft. Which means he is probably being brought in to play in the top 6. So something is probably going to have to give.

And what will the reaction be from the fans if another Misfit gets shipped out after MAF?

Fleury was by far the most popular player so I don’t think the fans would get much more upset about that. And since that first year Fleury has been the best player by far compared to those other guys.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They're already over the cap, so more like 12-13 million with Eichel. As of yesterday the only way of fitting him in without major overhaul to the roster is LTIR.

It's simply not even feasible.

I agreed when I first saw it but obviously Freidman saying it carries a lot of weight. I also remembered we're the team that traded Nate Schmidt lightning fast for nothing to sign Pietrangelo.

Some forward would have to go in the trade, Smith mentioned a lot. Reaves is probably gone either way. You would add a Pacioretty trade on top of it. It isn't ideal but trading Schmidt was not either but they did that and Stastny for nothing.

Could see them fed up with Allan Walsh easing their reservations about it. And Dadonov as a priority? If he's on a line with Eichel and Stone it's possible he could produce like his Barkov days and be looked to as a Pacioretty replacement.

There's interest in Tarasenko at 5, Pacioretty at 7 with the much better play recently/ no major injury concerns would have interest. They could add whatever return to the Smith, Krebs, Hague and a 1st deal.

They would have 13F, 5D, 2G with around 1.75 left. If they sign Coghlan around his QO of 788k then they could have 965k to sign a vet/ play their own young LHD with Whitecloud on bottom pairing and have 22 on the roster, with an extra D and F.

Dadonov-Eichel-Stone
Marchessault-Karlsson-Tuch
Janmark-Stephenson-Patrick
Howden-Roy-Kolesar
Carrier
Brown, Dugan, etc.

Martinez-Pietrangelo
McNabb-Theodore
LHD-Whitecloud
Coghlan

Lehner
Brossoit

I think it's probably only a 5% chance but I don't doubt their ability to surprise anymore.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If Eichel misses 20 to 40 games that's 2.5-5.0 LTIR write off.

Seems certain he will miss at least the first 20 games.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I just cannot believe that this team once again is going to be in cap hell throughout the entire season.

Having some cap space can be a good thing you know.

I just don't know why this team is soo insistent on being up against the cap all the time.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Eichel misses 20 to 40 games that's 2.5-5.0 LTIR write off.

Seems certain he will miss at least the first 20 games.

That's not how LTIR works. Basically you can replace him with a player worth up to that amount, but then what do you do when he's ready to come back? Only way LTIR is like an asset is when the player is out for the regular season. I don't think they are trading the farm for a player who can't even contribute next season until the playoffs.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
When Buffalo says the Knights need to up their offer that can only mean one thing: they want Krebs and Tuch. Smith could be flipped but not sure he gets more than a weak 2nd because his numbers will suck in Buffalo for half a season. Has to be a let's get our upstate NY guy home as a key piece.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
When Buffalo says the Knights need to up their offer that can only mean one thing: they want Krebs and Tuch. Smith could be flipped but not sure he gets more than a weak 2nd because his numbers will suck in Buffalo for half a season. Has to be a let's get our upstate NY guy home as a key piece.

They can have Carrier back, too.

That’s most likely what you have to give up for Eichel: either Tuch + Krebs + 1st or Theodore + Krebs + 1st. With the injury, if they ask for more than that screw them.

It does not make sense to give up more than that.

Reactions: NotPetya

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
:nod:

You can tell they weren't expecting Janmark to take a 1 year discount, because if you subtract his 2m they're actually cap compliant with 22 players.

Seems he really wants to be here to go Cup chasing next year. You know he had to have gotten at least 1 multi-year offer with more AAV than this when you look at some of these contracts that have been handed out.

I think they might have even told him that he could be playing on the 4th line with the looks of that offer and he was fine with it.

Now let’s do Carrier. How does a 4th line of Janmark-Howden-Roy sound? Not the bashing we are used to but some actual scoring ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad