Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v3 | Next: Wed, May 5 | @ OAK| 9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT | Ray vs Bassitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
8 Ks in almost 4 innings for Pearson.

That seems kinda unfair lol
He made 78 pitches today so he could probably go 85-90 pitches in his next start. That's at least 4-5 innings. They may as well just let him pitch those 4-5 innings in a split starting role with Stripling, Thornton or whoever rather then giving him 1 more AAA start.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Tabler is oddly fixated on letting everyone know where his kids go to college. Because tonight isn't the first time he's dived into a collegiate trivia tangent that loops around to "my son/daughter goes there!"

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Semien swinging for those fences lol. He of all people should know home runs, much like high payrolls aren't allowed in Oakland.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Tabler is oddly fixated on letting everyone know where his kids go to college. Because tonight isn't the first time he's dived into a collegiate trivia tangent that loops around to "my son/daughter goes there!"

I loved how he seemed to genuinely think it was a story everyone would be interested in to the point he should talk about it on live TV.

Pat: "You know where he went to school?"
Dan: "Where?"
Pat: *excitedly names a school I've never heard of*
Dan: "..."
Pat: "My son went there!"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I loved how he seemed to genuinely think it was a story everyone would be interested in to the point he should talk about it on live TV.

Pat: "You know where he went to school?"
Dan: "Where?"
Pat: *excitedly names a school I've never heard of*
Dan: "..."
Pat: "My son went there!"

I'm left to wonder if this is a side effect of the games being broadcast remotely (and in Tabler's case from his home). Normally they'd be together in the park where they can read the mood and only/mostly be fixated on stuff happening around the game. But here Tabler's in his den with his own knicknacks and pictures of his kids to look at and likely not always a direct look at Dan rolling his eyes and groaning as Tabby tries to fill airtime by talking about where his kids go to college or what dark sorcery is causing the wind to change direction.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I’ve fallen a few minutes behind here but just heard that’s it’s Montoyo’s logic that they can’t afford to use Thornton as a starter because they’re so short on starters? Twice Ive made fun of Buck this year for saying that but now that I hear it’s Montoyo’s logic it makes so much more sense. Not the bad logic itself but where it came from. Seemed too bad for even Buck to come up with.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I’ve fallen a few minutes behind here but just heard that’s it’s Montoyo’s logic that they can’t afford to use Thornton as a starter because they’re so short on starters? Twice Ive made fun of Buck this year for saying that but now that I hear it’s Montoyo’s logic it makes so much more sense. Not the bad logic itself but where it came from. Seemed too bad for even Buck to come up with.

I mean... to some extent I get the logic; with so few reliable starters, you need a couple of guys who give go multiple innings out of the pen if needed.

But this is a bit more like, say, letting Britton sit and watch from the pen: you desperately need him, but you're not going to use him because what if there's a spot later on where you need him?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I mean... to some extent I get the logic; with so few reliable starters, you need a couple of guys who give go multiple innings out of the pen if needed.

But this is a bit more like, say, letting Britton sit and watch from the pen: you desperately need him, but you're not going to use him because what if there's a spot later on where you need him?

https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F12%2F9589104-buck-showalter-mlb-al-wild-card-baltimore-orioles-toronto-blue-jays-850x560.jpg

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

If they actually had 5 starters but didn't trust them and felt they needed length from the pen and didn't want to send Thornton down to stay stretched out that would make sense. But they were down to 2 starters and they logic was they couldn't have Thornton go 5 innings per game because they needed him 2 innings in a bullpen day every 4 days instead. He wasn't stretched out at the time so it's not that simple, but it reads like we're so short on starters rather than help fill that hole with Thornton they instead use him to try to solve a small portion of the issues that hole creates.

Reactions: Discoverer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->