Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v2 |Next: Wed, Apr 21| @ Bos |7pm ET/4pm PT | Thornton vs Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jays also have Hatch, Pearson, and Ray injured. Ray is going to be back very soon.

Ray is a guy that has been clownpounded the past couple years that they’re taking on as a reclamation project. He’s the sort of guy who it’s fair to roll the dice on as a #5 starter, but he’s what? The #2 guy on this team right now?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Ray is a guy that has been clownpounded the past couple years that they’re taking on as a reclamation project. He’s the sort of guy who it’s fair to roll the dice on as a #5 starter, but he’s what? The #2 guy on this team right now?

His stuff is excellent and the problem is control. Ray is a lot better than Walker. Walker has mediocre stuff and has a history of injuries.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If a homerun is hit and nobody sees it come down, is it still a homerun? Pretty sure that last one made it to the Gulf of Mexico.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Right now they have :

Ryu

Matz - ERA of 9.68 last year, a reclamation project.
Ray - ERA of 6.62 last year, a reclamation project.
Stripling - ERA of 5.84 last year, reclamation project.
Pearson - top prospect, but is almost 25 and has not yet had MLB success and is constantly hurt.
Roark - 6.80 ERA last year, absolute garbage.

Literally nobody outside of the ace who could get anybody out last year. It’s what you’d expect a garbage rebuilding team like Seattle to be throwing out there. If one of those projects turns into a quality starter this year, that’s a huge win.

When you sign a 32 y/o Springer to a massive contract, that means you expect to compete now. And when you are trying to compete now, you have to do better than just crossing your fingers and hoping with your starting pitching.
I agree but Its still early my friend. Lets get Ray & Pearson back and perhaps make a trade. RENTAL PLAYER! Until we do something drastic like rushing the kids.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His stuff is excellent and the problem is control. Ray is a lot better than Walker. Walker has mediocre stuff and has a history of injuries.

At some point the point of the game is to get people out. This weird thing has happened where a guy with elite spin rates to go with a WHIP of 1.8 and an ERA over 5 is somehow considered better than a guy who actually gets people out.

Ray has given up 43 HR and 130 walks in his last 225 innings over the past two years. He’s a huge project, even if his stuff is good in a vacuum.

Again - this rotation (no matter how it’s put together) has 1 guy who had an ERA under 5.50 last year. It’s a bunch of projects and hope.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
At some point the point of the game is to get people out. This weird thing has happened where a guy with elite spin rates to go with a WHIP of 1.8 and an ERA over 5 is somehow considered better than a guy who actually gets people out.

Ray has given up 43 HR and 130 walks in his last 225 innings over the past two years. He’s a huge project, even if his stuff is good in a vacuum.

Again - this rotation (no matter how it’s put together) has 1 guy who had an ERA under 5.50 last year. It’s a bunch of projects and hope.
MS 7th game of season. Lets be patient man. Respect your fanship but........

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Live look at Keith Law

SeLUmJnMrwPnH55F8r4Vf5y1rEo=.gif

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
By my count that's 38 half ass check swings from Teo in 7 games this year. He's just not seeing the ball well at all right now. Zero pitch recognition.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
At least we have Vladdy and Grichuk. A statement I definitely expected to say 7 games into the season.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

I'd rather give Ray the chance because if he improves his control he is a legit #2 behind Ryu. In Spring Training, Ray's control was excellent. Even when Ray has sucked, his k/9 is double digits. His off-speed stuff is great and his FB is fantastic. He's a lefty that can throw 96MPH and was touching 98mph in Spring Training.

I am not a fan of the rotation because like you said, projects and hope but how many teams have a solid 1-5 rotation? Very few in the league. Even the Yankees are counting on Kluber and Taillon who have thrown very little in the last few years. Kluber's stuff isn't close to what it used to be either. Signing a guy like Walker for 2 years and a player option, so likely three years in total, doesn't make sense to me. Walker is a #4 starter. Jays have a bunch of players that could do what Walker would do. Being locked in for three years with Walker isn't a smart decision.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MS 7th game of season. Lets be patient man. Respect your fanship but........

I’ll be incredibly patient with the bats because there is clearly a lot of talent there who performed at a high level last season. They’ll be fine.

The starting pitching stunk last year and they did basically nothing to improve it. Everyone could see it was a huge problem so when it starts the season looking predictably wobbly it’s hard to just preach patience. The only way we have good starting pitching this year is if a bunch of guys who couldn’t get people out last year suddenly do this year. It could happen. But is it likely to happen? How many rotations 2-5 in MLB are worse on paper than what this team has?

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I’ll be incredibly patient with the bats because there is clearly a lot of talent there who performed at a high level last season. They’ll be fine.

The starting pitching stunk last year and they did basically nothing to improve it. Everyone could see it was a huge problem so when it starts the season looking predictably wobbly it’s hard to just preach patience. The only way we have good starting pitching this year is if a bunch of guys who couldn’t get people out last year suddenly do this year. It could happen. But is it likely to happen? How many rotations 2-5 in MLB are worse on paper than what this team has?
Totally agree bro and I think they know that. But they are patiently waiting on the right move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad