Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v1 |Next: Thu, Apr 8 | vs LAA | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Canning vs Stripling

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is it. It's opening day for the Jays for the 2021 season. Injuries are limiting who's available for the first day and series, but it should still be interesting to see how the last couple roster spots shake down while they wait for everyone to be healthy.

As of right now, while I write this, the projected opening roster is:

Rotation
LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
LHP Steven Matz
RHP Tanner Roark
RHP Ross Stripling
RHP T.J. Zeuch

Injured: RHP Nate Pearson, RHP Robbie Ray

Bullpen
LHP Ryan Borucki
RHP Tyler Chatwood
RHP Rafael Dolis
LHP Tim Mayza
RHP Julian Merryweather
RHP Joel Payamps
RHP David Phelps
RHP Jordan Romano
RHP Trent Thornton

Infielders
C Danny Jansen
C Alejandro Kirk
1B/DH Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
DH/1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Marcus Semien
SS Bo Bichette
3B Cavan Biggio
IF Joe Panik

Outfielders
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
CF Randal Grichuk
RF Teoscar Hernandez

Injured: CF George Springer

EDIT: Thursday morning the Jays announced they have DFA'd Reese McGuire and Breyvic Valera and added Julian Merryweather and Joel Payamps to the roster, bringing them up to the 26 man requirement.

They also confirmed the rotation for now and we have our matchups for this series

Game 1: Ryu vs Cole
Game 2: Stripling vs Kluber
Game 3: German vs Zeuch.

Matz and Roark will open up the next series in Texas.

but enough of me blathering. I have to get to bed so I'm ready to go in the morning for actual baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems and dangomon

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Excited for them to start finally. I think the Yankees are definitely the best team in our division this year (I took like 4 or 5 in my fantasy league - I hate myself for it), but I don't think its a lock for sure. Obviously our pitching is a question mark, but I have a lot of faith in our bats, particularly our young guys stepping up.

I think this first series will be tough for us to win though unfortunately. I don't think our pitching gets it done against a fully healthy Yankees lineup, but I've certainly been wrong before, and I'll happily eat crow this time too. Go Jays

Reactions: weems

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This is it. It's opening day for the Jays for the 2021 season. Injuries are limiting who's available for the first day and series, but it should still be interesting to see how the last couple roster spots shake down while they wait for everyone to be healthy.

As of right now, while I write this, the projected opening roster is:

Rotation
LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
LHP Steven Matz
RHP Tanner Roark
RHP Ross Stripling
RHP T.J. Zeuch

Injured: RHP Nate Pearson, RHP Robbie Ray

Bullpen
LHP Ryan Borucki
RHP Tyler Chatwood
RHP Rafael Dolis
LHP Tim Mayza
RHP David Phelps
RHP Jordan Romano
RHP Trent Thornton

Infielders
C Danny Jansen
C Alejandro Kirk
1B/DH Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
DH/1B Rowdy Tellez
2B Marcus Semien
SS Bo Bichette
3B Cavan Biggio
IF Joe Panik

Outfielders
LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr.
CF Randal Grichuk
RF Teoscar Hernandez

Injured: CF George Springer

That's 24 of the 26 roster spots filled. Breyvic Valera and Reese McGuire are up right now and would require waivers to be sent down or DFA'd to get them off the 40-man roster. Expectations are that one or both of the spots could go to pen arms to start the season, with the likes of A.J. Cole, Julian Merryweather, and Anthony Castro in the mix.

They have until 12pm today (that's ET, so 9am PT) to make those final choices and name the roster ahead of the first game

The Jays have also not yet confirmed how their rotation is going to shake down for the first series vs the Yankees. New York has already settled on a trio of Gerrit Cole, Corey Kluber, and Domingo German for the 3 games, but the Jays have not set anything beyond Ryu in game 1. Reports suggest they may wish to avoid Matz and Roark for the series because they are FB pitchers who can give up HRs and it's Yankee Stadium with its joke OF dimensions and lineup of thumpers who can turn cheap fly balls into dingers in that park. So perhaps we see some creative finagling to get the team through this opening series before settling into a more regular rotation waiting for Ray and Pearson to work themselves back to game shape.

but enough of me blathering. I have to get to bed so I'm ready to go in the morning for actual baseball.
How do you think that they can adjust their pitching rotation to prevent giving up home runs? I think that pitching is where they need to improve to be contenders.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
How do you think that they can adjust their pitching rotation to prevent giving up home runs? I think that pitching is where they need to improve to be contenders.
Ray and Pearson getting healthy will help. Got Thornton as depth that I would be fine seeing slide into the rotation and additionally could see a pitcher like Manoah get his shot at some point through the season. That is just internally where we could still trade for a pitcher if we wanted too.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Manoah definitely gets a shot at some point this season. Looked great in spring training against loaded Yankee lineups twice.

Reactions: BigBlu

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
GO JAYS GO BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH ..... i hear we finally got a team this year ... maybe time to watch them now

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Are they really playing the Imperial March for the Jays? You’re the Yankees

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wow we are getting Shulman. I was under the belief it was Buck and Tabler and I wasn't looking forward to that.
Is Dan with us all season like last year or a select games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad