HF Habs: 2021 U-18 Tournament (4-26 to 5/6): Thurs. May 6 | Canada wins Gold! Defeat Russia 5-3

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I've been on record as saying I don't think KK is a top 6 center. I want to ask a question to the people who have watched McTavish and Pinelli play more than just this tourny. Do they have what it takes? I've only seen them in the U18 and I think McTavish can definitely develop into a top 6 center. But all that aside the Habs need to draft another 1st round center because KK is not the answer. If not McTavish then a center from the Q or Europe.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Just for fun, here are Connor McDavid's stats from the same tournament at 15 years old (Like Connor Bedard)

Connor McDavid- 8 Goals, 6 Assists, 14 Points- 7 GP

Connor Bedard (so far)- 6 Goals, 6 Assists, 12 Points- 6 GP

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've been on record as saying I don't think KK is a top 6 center. I want to ask a question to the people who have watched McTavish and Pinelli play more than just this tourny. Do they have what it takes? I've only seen them in the U18 and I think McTavish can definitely develop into a top 6 center. But all that aside the Habs need to draft another 1st round center because KK is not the answer. If not McTavish then a center from the Q or Europe.

No.. I don't think either of them even play center at the pro level.

Reactions: Habs Icing

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Sweden is leading 4-0 over Finland in Bronze Medal game.

Rosen - again
Robertsson finally scores.
Edvinsson
Sjoberg

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Isak Rosen might be an interesting option for Montreal..

He's a project for sure.. There's so much room for him to grow physically.

He's tiny but the skills are there...

In a boring tournament in regards to 2021 prospects, he's someone I definitely noticed.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Pinelli is ranked 20-30 largely because scouts are unconvinced he can play center at the next level. He's done nothing in this tournament to alleviate those concerns.

What he's shown is nice hands though for both passing and scoring, especially around the net. Doesn't really set the pace though. He's more of a complementary player. Think he's a winger in NHL. Probably a Tyler Toffoli/Connor Brown type. Probably more middle 6 rather than top 6, but 2nd line upside is there.

As for McTavish, I will respectively disagree with @WeThreeKings on this one, and say, yes, I think he can be a center at the next level. I think he has a high IQ and under-rated skills. He needs to continue to upgrade his skating. Again, it would be as a 2nd line, two-way center, who can pk, pp, and score goals. He has a nose for the net & can control the center of the ice. Think a bigger version of Suzuki or a Brayden Schenn type.

However, I can also see coaches moving him to the wing because of his size & board play, so it will depend highly on who drafts him and how they view his future.

Schenn started as a center, got moved to the wing in Philly then moved back to center in St. Louis, where he thrived. Jenner has been moved back & forth between wing & center too. I can see the same happening to McTavish.

I think if Montreal were to draft him; hopefully, it would be as a center.

And, yes, I would be ok with Montreal drafting McTavish.

Reactions: 1000eeer

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Pinelli is ranked 20-30 largely because scouts are unconvinced he can play center at the next level. He's done nothing in this tournament to alleviate those concerns.

What he's shown is nice hands though for both passing and scoring, especially around the net. Doesn't really set the pace though. He's more of a complementary player. Think he's a winger in NHL. Probably a Tyler Toffoli/Connor Brown type. Probably more middle 6 rather than top 6, but 2nd line upside is there.

As for McTavish, I will respectively disagree with @WeThreeKings on this one, and say, yes, I think he can be a center at the next level. I think he has a high IQ and under-rated skills. He needs to continue to upgrade his skating. Again, it would be as a 2nd line, two-way center, who can pk, pp, and score goals. He has a nose for the net & can control the center of the ice. Think a bigger version of Suzuki or a Brayden Schenn type.

However, I can also see coaches moving him to the wing because of his size & board play, so it will depend highly on who drafts him and how they view his future.

Schenn started as a center, got moved to the wing in Philly then moved back to center in St. Louis, where he thrived. Jenner has been moved back & forth between wing & center too. I can see the same happening to McTavish.

I think if Montreal were to draft him; hopefully, it would be as a center.

And, yes, I would be ok with Montreal drafting McTavish.

I would be surprised if he's available when we pick... Sadly

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad