WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I really wonder how long of a look Brock Faber gets as a natural right-handed defenseman. He wasn’t really on my radar until the Kings drafted him, but he seems like the kind of defensive player that USAH loves.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I really wonder how long of a look Brock Faber gets as a natural right-handed defenseman. He wasn’t really on my radar until the Kings drafted him, but he seems like the kind of defensive player that USAH loves.

Yeah, I'm probably underestimating Faber's chances to make the team quite a bit, to be honest. As you mention, he's an RHD which the team really needs, and Faber is a great skater, which USAH loves. Plus, even though his offensive abilities are limited, he's a strong puck mover and is great on the breakout. He's filled out physically and he's not a defensive liability (for his age).

It may be a year too early for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a strong run like Ty Emberson did 2 years ago before being one of the last cuts (subsequently made the team last year). They're similar athletes, too, although Faber's skating is much better, so Faber is probably great odds for an under-the-radar guy making the team. Great call, @kilowatt!

Reactions: kilowatt

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Canada is going to have a long camp and Russia is playing their traditional senior international tournaments with their U20 squad. They beat Finland 6-2 today. USA Hockey should do something or we are way behind our biggest rivals when tournament starts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see Faber making it. Maybe next year. I likely wouldn’t even add him next year though, if I was picking the team.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would do this:

Robertson-Turcotte-Caufield
Boldy-Zegras-Kaliyev
Brisson-Beecher-Brink
Bordeleau-Farrinacci-Moynihan
Mastrosimone-Lindmark-Colangelo

York-Thrun
Sanderson-Lacombe
Johnson-Helleson
Struble

Knighttttttt

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would do this:

Boldy-Zegras-Kaliyev
Brisson-Beecher-Brink

York-Thrun
Sanderson-Lacombe
Johnson-Helleson
Struble

Knighttttttt

Switch Caufield and Kaliyev. Caufield plays a lot better on a line with Zegras than Turcotte. Turcotte and Kaliyev are also both Kings prospects.

Reactions: Finster8

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Since it's quiet in this thread due to the lack of hockey, I was interested in what a 2022 WJC camp roster/team could look like. A lot can change by this time next year, especially with the uncertain year, and it's challenging to do this without the canceled IIHF U18s, Ivan Hlinka, etc., but here goes nothing.

Forwards (x25):

Carson Bantle
Matthew Beniers
Brett Berard
Thomas Bordeleau
Tyler Boucher
Caden Brown
Matt Coronato
Jack Devine
Tanner Dickinson
Dylan Duke
Alex Gaffney
Cross Hanas
Avery Hayes
Jack Hughes
Justin Janicke
Matthew Knies
Chaz Lucius
Joe Miller
Jack O'Brien
Sasha Pastujov
Mackie Samoskevich
Landon Slaggert
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ty Voit

Defense (x15):

Sean Behrens
Noah Ellis
Brock Faber
Aidan Hreschuk
Luke Hughes
Wyatt Kaiser
Hank Kempf
Tyler Kleven
Ian Moore
Scott Morrow
Jack Peart
Eamon Powell
Jake Sanderson
Roman Schmidt
Jacob Truscott

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
Hobie Hedquist
Gibson Homer
Tucker Tynan

Notes:
  • Definitely lacks the star power of some prior teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good team. If anything, Team USA has done better when they haven't had a star-studded team at the WJC.
  • Skill-wise, this group kind of reminds me of the 2010 WJC team. No superstar forwards, but enough talent that if the right guys step up or the chemistry exists that the talent is there to do well, along with a strong group of defensemen and a good goalie.
  • Ironically, our coach this year (Nate Leaman) would likely feel more at home with next year's squad.
  • Some other players you could consider:
    • Forward: Blake Biondi, Jackson Blake, Ryan Kirwan, Jacob Perreault, Dylan Peterson, Artem Shlaine, Antonio Stranges, Chase Yoder, etc.
    • Defense: Tyler Dunbar, Luke Mittelstadt, Bryce Montgomery, Simon Motew, etc.
    • Goalie: Noah Grannan, Xavier Medina, etc.
  • I'm interested to see how some of the 'toolsy' players (i.e. Montgomery, Motew) that are/were expected to get bigger roles this year do. Is there something there?
  • 'Names' like Biondi and Stranges would need to have big years to be in contention and at this point, I don't see that as likely.
  • Curious to see if USAH goes hard after Perreault. He'd be hard-pressed to make this year's team, but he'd be a near-lock for next year's iteration.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Since it's quiet in this thread due to the lack of hockey, I was interested in what a 2022 WJC camp roster/team could look like. A lot can change by this time next year, especially with the uncertain year, and it's challenging to do this without the canceled IIHF U18s, Ivan Hlinka, etc., but here goes nothing.

Forwards (x25):

Carson Bantle
Matthew Beniers
Brett Berard
Thomas Bordeleau
Tyler Boucher
Caden Brown
Matt Coronato
Jack Devine
Tanner Dickinson
Dylan Duke
Alex Gaffney
Cross Hanas
Avery Hayes
Jack Hughes
Justin Janicke
Matthew Knies
Chaz Lucius
Joe Miller
Jack O'Brien
Sasha Pastujov
Mackie Samoskevich
Landon Slaggert
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ty Voit

Defense (x15):

Sean Behrens
Noah Ellis
Brock Faber
Aidan Hreschuk
Luke Hughes
Wyatt Kaiser
Hank Kempf
Tyler Kleven
Ian Moore
Scott Morrow
Jack Peart
Eamon Powell
Jake Sanderson
Roman Schmidt
Jacob Truscott

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
Hobie Hedquist
Gibson Homer
Tucker Tynan

Notes:
  • Definitely lacks the star power of some prior teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a good team. If anything, Team USA has done better when they haven't had a star-studded team at the WJC.
  • Skill-wise, this group kind of reminds me of the 2010 WJC team. No superstar forwards, but enough talent that if the right guys step up or the chemistry exists that the talent is there to do well, along with a strong group of defensemen and a good goalie.
  • Ironically, our coach this year (Nate Leaman) would likely feel more at home with next year's squad.
    • Forward: Blake Biondi, Jackson Blake, Ryan Kirwan, Jacob Perreault, Dylan Peterson, Artem Shlaine, Antonio Stranges, Chase Yoder, etc.
  • I'm interested to see how some of the 'toolsy' players (i.e. Montgomery, Motew) that are/were expected to get bigger roles this year do. Is there something there?
  • 'Names' like Biondi and Stranges would need to have big years to be in contention and at this point, I don't see that as likely.
  • Curious to see if USAH goes hard after Perreault. He'd be hard-pressed to make this year's team, but he'd be a near-lock for next year's iteration.
Is there another Jack Hughes coming through?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Forwards (x25):

Carson Bantle
Matthew Beniers
Brett Berard
Thomas Bordeleau
Tyler Boucher
Caden Brown
Matt Coronato
Jack Devine
Tanner Dickinson
Dylan Duke
Alex Gaffney
Cross Hanas
Avery Hayes
Jack Hughes
Justin Janicke
Matthew Knies
Chaz Lucius
Joe Miller
Jack O'Brien
Sasha Pastujov
Mackie Samoskevich
Landon Slaggert
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ty Voit

Defense (x15):

Sean Behrens
Noah Ellis
Brock Faber
Aidan Hreschuk
Luke Hughes
Wyatt Kaiser
Hank Kempf
Tyler Kleven
Ian Moore
Scott Morrow
Jack Peart
Eamon Powell
Jake Sanderson
Roman Schmidt
Jacob Truscott

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
Hobie Hedquist
Gibson Homer
Tucker Tynan

Notes:
Gotta think several members of the loaded 2022 draft class step in to provide some of that dynamic star power you said the team was missing. Looking at Nazar, McGroarty, Fleming, and Casey in particular.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Gotta think several members of the loaded 2022 draft class step in to provide some of that dynamic star power you said the team was missing. Looking at Nazar, McGroarty, Fleming, and Casey in particular.

I forgot to mention I didn't consider the 04's for now since their season just started, but from what I've seen there will likely be a few guys capable of playing as underagers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I hope so. We need to start using our best draft-eligible players in these tournaments. It seems like the European teams are very good at using these players because they might have a little less depth. USA and Canada usually prefer veteran grinders over the top-end draft eligibles or a superstar D-2 player. I would've liked to see someone like Luke Hughes on this team, but we haven't had very many draft-eligible players on our WJC team recently. It's probably not even an average of one per year. Meanwhile, countries like Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, even Russia the last few years are averaging more than that.

Reactions: Dominance

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT

Forwards (x25):

Carson Bantle
Matthew Beniers
Brett Berard
Thomas Bordeleau
Tyler Boucher
Caden Brown
Matt Coronato
Jack Devine
Tanner Dickinson
Dylan Duke
Alex Gaffney
Cross Hanas
Avery Hayes
Jack Hughes
Justin Janicke
Matthew Knies
Chaz Lucius
Joe Miller
Jack O'Brien
Sasha Pastujov
Mackie Samoskevich
Landon Slaggert
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ty Voit

Defense (x15):

Sean Behrens
Noah Ellis
Brock Faber
Aidan Hreschuk
Luke Hughes
Wyatt Kaiser
Hank Kempf
Tyler Kleven
Ian Moore
Scott Morrow
Jack Peart
Eamon Powell
Jake Sanderson
Roman Schmidt
Jacob Truscott

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
Hobie Hedquist
Gibson Homer
Tucker Tynan

Notes:
Good post as always tho I’m pretty sure Artem Shlaine is Russian. Is be a dual maybe? I know he played for Russia in some junior selects tourney at one point

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good post as always tho I’m pretty sure Artem Shlaine is Russian. Is be a dual maybe? I know he played for Russia in some junior selects tourney at one point

He's a dual but plays for Team USA, last appearing at the Ivan Hlinka. He's likely not good enough to make either country's roster right now, though.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I would do this:

Boldy-Zegras-Kaliyev
Brisson-Beecher-Brink

York-Thrun
Sanderson-Lacombe
Johnson-Helleson
Struble

Knighttttttt
Thrun took a really bad hit when Dubuque played Youngstown last, was back retrieving a puck and Cade Lemmer hit him hard, but dirty. His helmet popped off as it hit the glass, hard to watch. I felt so bad for Thrun, I think he’ll be out for a while. Hopefully the concussion isn’t as bad as it looked like, but I don’t know.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I agree with most of this. The two main disagreements I have is that I think we need someone with more offense than Beecher as the 3C. I know he’s a returner, but he should play on the fourth line. Between Boldy, Bordeleau, Beniers, and Brisson, we need someone with more offense in that spot. And if Hughes plays, it obviously becomes easier to slot Beecher down.

I also think we need a second RHD. I agree the options aren’t good, but I’m not convinced someone like Lacombe is so much better than the RHD options to only take one RHD.
Someone like Matthew Knies should get a decent look for this team, really good player that can play in all situations and is a very good, agile skater. Makes plays at top speed really well. I think he’d be a nice asset in the bottom 6 or 4th line.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

Forwards (x25):

Carson Bantle
Matthew Beniers
Brett Berard
Thomas Bordeleau
Tyler Boucher
Caden Brown
Matt Coronato
Jack Devine
Tanner Dickinson
Dylan Duke
Alex Gaffney
Cross Hanas
Avery Hayes
Jack Hughes
Justin Janicke
Matthew Knies
Chaz Lucius
Joe Miller
Jack O'Brien
Sasha Pastujov
Mackie Samoskevich
Landon Slaggert
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ty Voit

Defense (x15):

Sean Behrens
Noah Ellis
Brock Faber
Aidan Hreschuk
Luke Hughes
Wyatt Kaiser
Hank Kempf
Tyler Kleven
Ian Moore
Scott Morrow
Jack Peart
Eamon Powell
Jake Sanderson
Roman Schmidt
Jacob Truscott

Goalies (x4):

Drew Commesso
Hobie Hedquist
Gibson Homer
Tucker Tynan

Notes:
That’s a really good list of players, maybe someone like Matthew Argentina and carter Mazur, potentially a D like Ryan Mast with Sarnia who I think is under the radar good. I wonder if someone like Rutger Mcgroarty could be there as a 17 year old, I think he’s that good. Potential #2 behind Wright I think with Lambert, Michkov for sure as well.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That’s a really good list of players, maybe someone like Matthew Argentina and carter Mazur, potentially a D like Ryan Mast with Sarnia who I think is under the radar good. I wonder if someone like Rutger Mcgroarty could be there as a 17 year old, I think he’s that good. Potential #2 behind Wright I think with Lambert, Michkov for sure as well.

Michkov is eligible for the 2023 draft , not 2022 like the others you mentioned . Still, I don't disagree McGroarty could challenge for a very high pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->