GDT: 2021 TDL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Are we undervaluing Mantha severely or what?

Vrana is RFA too.

Panik is kind of a cap dump. Two more years on the contract after this season.

It seems like so much. Mantha comes with a rather big contract.

Ha I feel like it’s a borderline steal for the Caps. Best assets they gave up were Vrana and a late first? Mantha was at a 72 point pace last season...down year this year on the 2nd worst offense in the league. Huge add for them. Can’t believe East division keeps getting stronger and stronger.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are we undervaluing Mantha severely or what?

Vrana is RFA too.

Panik is kind of a cap dump. Two more years on the contract after this season.

It seems like so much. Mantha comes with a rather big contract.

I think that Mantha is the type that must be used right and so forth, but he can be pretty powerful and hard to handle. He also got a bit of an edge to his game.

Even if the replaced player in the lineup was fairly good, Mantha potentially can be really hard to play against.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If that's the price for Bennett, we dodged a bullet.

I don't mind him but he's a big time "grass is greener" player and has all the same problems Lemieux did:

-Doesn't PK at all

-Isn't great defensively in general

-Takes a ton of dumb penalties

-Doesn't draw as many as you'd like

-Effort is questionable

He's Lemieux but with 10 more points.

There was definitely a premium paid on physicality this deadline. A lot of rivalry matchups building up with the current format. Teams preparing for a battle.

Taylor Hall? I wouldn’t say that he is the most overrated in hockey, because there are so many overrated players and Hall is actually pretty good, but the impact a guy like him has on a game is just very overrated and the fact that he won a Hart is a complete joke.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Mantha's a really good player when he can stay on the ice but he's had problems with that.

The cost was high, but thats a potential tide turning move for the Caps. I think they did more to help themselves at the deadline than the other teams in the division, but continuing to run Chara out there on the regular is going to bite them.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I wonder if there's anyone interested in him during the summer. It's a bit of a gamble on his part TBH. A good run with Montreal could save his career at this point. Who knows if he'll get another shot in the NHL?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I understand the upside of getting a Mantha but I feel Vrana is pretty underrated on a very good veteran forward team in the Caps. He has really good speed. Obviously the Caps feel they have to continue to match the size of the Isles if it gets to that point.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The quiet trade deadline is fine.

I was hoping they would get rid of Howden and take the toy away from Quinn, but that didnt happen. I was also hoping they would sell of Smith but that also didnt happen, so he essentially becomes a self-rental.

Other than that, it was either move Strome/Buch now or revisit in the summer and maybe make a hockey trade for a bottom 6 or defenseman piece. They instead signed Jones which is surprising and exciting at the same time.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Would have been a mistake if he terminated the contract, no guarantees he ever recoups what he'd be giving up if he chose to terminate his deal. Still a rough situation and it sucks that it came down to what it did. Regardless of how you feel about ADA he was a big loss on the ice, he was dynamic.

Reactions: bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mantha is a very good player. That needs to be said.

But he got the return he did because he's 6'5". Like, full stop. No further details needed.

The height bias in the NHL is insane. It's the reason we have Adam Fox. It's the reason Marty St. Louis was undrafted after tearing in half every league he played in before the NHL.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I can’t imagine why anyone would have vitriol for a guy who was a semi valuable team asset and because of his bone headed actions, is now totally worthless

Inconceivable really
he was called a loser for not forfeiting almost 3 million dollars.

a decision that every person on this site would make 11 out of 10 times.

pretty f***ing irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad