WJC: 2021 Switzerland roster talk

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Roster for the first preparation week:

G (4): Thibault Fatton (HC Lugano), Andri Henauer (SC Bern), Noah Patenaude (Saint John Sea Dogs/QMJHL), Lucas Rötheli (EV Zug).

D (12): Iñaki Baragano (Kamloops Blazers/WHL), Giancarlo Chanton (Niagara IceDogs/OHL), Noah Delémont (Owen Sound Attack/OHL), Cédric Fiedler (Western Michigan University/NCAA), Bastian Guggenheim (SCL Tigers), Silvan Landolt (GCK/ZSC Lions), Noah Meier (GCK/ZSC Lions), Rocco Pezzullo (HC Ambri-Piotta), Dario Sidler (EV Zug), Alessandro Villa (HC Lugano), Nathan Vouardoux (Lausanne HC), Brian Zanetti (Peterborough Petes/OHL).

F (18): Dario Allenspach (EV Zug), Jérémie Bärtschi (EHC Biel-Bienne), Attilio Biasca (Halifax Mooseheads/QMJHL), Stefano Bottini (Penticton Vees/BCHL), Mika Burkhalter (SC Bern), Lorenzo Canonica (Shawinigan Cataractes/QMJHL), Jannik Canova (HC Davos), Ronny Dähler (SC Bern), Keanu Derungs (Victoria Royals/WHL), Raymond Fust (Chilliwack Chiefs/BCHL), Valentin Hofer (EV Zug), Gaétan Jobin (Fribourg-Gottéron), Simon Knak (Portland Winterhawks/WHL), Kevin Lindemann (Leksands IF/SWE), Lionel Marchand (Timrå IK/SWE), Joel Salzgeber (SCL Tigers), Elvis Schläpfer (EHC Biel-Bienne), Yves Stoffel (EV Zug).

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I am a bit disappointed that Liekit Reichle is left of the Roster. Lots of the forwards on this rosters from all three age-groups had very disappointing production this year, while Reichle clearly outproduced some of them in the same league. While there are other factors that come into play when forming a team that would value said forwards over Reichle, I feel like he (or Henry/Truog) should have at least been given a shot in camp.

Otherwise the Roster looks mostly as expected. There is a big quality drop compared to last year of course with the very deep 2000 class aging out and the pretty week and inexperienced 2001 class having to step up. Overall this is probably the weakest roster we had in recent memory. On the other hand we got lucky to be in the easier group, so avoiding relegation without going the extra mile should be still possible.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Otherwise the Roster looks mostly as expected. There is a big quality drop compared to last year of course with the very deep 2000 class aging out and the pretty week and inexperienced 2001 class having to step up. Overall this is probably the weakest roster we had in recent memory. On the other hand we got lucky to be in the easier group, so avoiding relegation without going the extra mile should be still possible.
For the record, there is no relegation this year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I am a bit disappointed that Liekit Reichle is left of the Roster. Lots of the forwards on this rosters from all three age-groups had very disappointing production this year, while Reichle clearly outproduced some of them in the same league. While there are other factors that come into play when forming a team that would value said forwards over Reichle, I feel like he (or Henry/Truog) should have at least been given a shot in camp.

While you're in the easier overall group, it's doesn't have the easier matchup to avoid 5th like the other side does with Austria. I have no idea what's going to happen with Germany, Switzerland, and Slovakia in Pool A

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
While you're in the easier overall group, it's doesn't have the easier matchup to avoid 5th like the other side does with Austria. I have no idea what's going to happen with Germany, Switzerland, and Slovakia in Pool A

This doesn't matter anymore since there is no relegation. But if there would be one we would still have a decent shot to finish above Germany or Slovakia. And even if we would end up dead last, I would rather play Austria in a multi game series than risking to lose vs them in a upset and having to play a relegation series vs Germany or Slovakia...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
This doesn't matter anymore since there is no relegation. But if there would be one we would still have a decent shot to finish above Germany or Slovakia. And even if we would end up dead last, I would rather play Austria in a multi game series than risking to lose vs them in a upset and having to play a relegation series vs Germany or Slovakia...

That makes sense. No relegation pool B is probably better because you have easier road to QF at the QF(and decent warmup games against USA/RUS/SWE to prepare). With relegation it's pool A as worst case Austria would have to beat you twice to send you down.

Though if we're only talking 1 upset. Finishing below GER/SVK and seeing Austria pull 1 upset versus CZE and now you have to beat CZE for relegation wouldn't be fun.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Though if we're only talking 1 upset. Finishing below GER/SVK and seeing Austria pull 1 upset versus CZE and now you have to beat CZE for relegation wouldn't be fun.

Austria isn’t going to upset anybody but their fans. They’re in for a hurting in a stronger than usual tournament, but thankfully they still get a ticket to next year’s event.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Austria isn’t going to upset anybody but their fans. They’re in for a hurting in a stronger than usual tournament, but thankfully they still get a ticket to next year’s event.

The odds are extremely unlikely, but if we're operating on the assumption it's possible and he's afraid of losing a 1 off to Austria in the preliminary round then losing to GER/SVK in the relegation. Then you'd also have to consider Austria pulling an similar upset in a pool that doesn't have you, and then forcing you to beat a equal or better team in the relegation side, and you get relegated without ever getting a game against Austria. Of course that's in a regular tournament, no relegation this time.

I really wanna see Rossi though

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Swiss head coach is talking about a medal as a goal. I mean, great to have high goals but sometimes realism is the better way. This is not a medal-roster.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I am a bit disappointed that Liekit Reichle is left of the Roster. Lots of the forwards on this rosters from all three age-groups had very disappointing production this year, while Reichle clearly outproduced some of them in the same league.

I am eager to see him, Gruber and Greuter next spring at U18...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Swiss head coach is talking about a medal as a goal. I mean, great to have high goals but sometimes realism is the better way. This is not a medal-roster.

I mean we should have won medals over the last years already but Wohlwend is a grade a moron. Paterlini was a bit better but continued to ride Hollenstein who gave up far too many goals in both years despite not facing many high danger chances and playing behind strong defensive corps. They may have given up a lot of shots but they've done a good job protecting the house. In fact, Switzerland hasn't had a solid starter since Van Pottelberghe or Melvin Nyffeler before that. I trust Marco Bayer to be better than Paterlini and certainly a lot better than Wohlwend. If we can get solid goaltending then a medal is certainly possible...especially if we can stay healthy while other team's players are dropping off like flies due to covid. But goaltending could remain a problem as I'm not sure if any of the four goalies have the quality to carry the team. We'd need that though because defense isn't what it was last year anymore. A lot of weight on Pezzullo's shoulders now.

I certainly agree with Bayer though that the team is relatively deep with many of the players playing against men already. That wasn't always the case.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
I mean we should have won medals over the last years already but Wohlwend is a grade a moron. Paterlini was a bit better but continued to ride Hollenstein who gave up far too many goals in both years despite not facing many high danger chances and playing behind strong defensive corps. They may have given up a lot of shots but they've done a good job protecting the house. In fact, Switzerland hasn't had a solid starter since Van Pottelberghe or Melvin Nyffeler before that. I trust Marco Bayer to be better than Paterlini and certainly a lot better than Wohlwend. If we can get solid goaltending then a medal is certainly possible...especially if we can stay healthy while other team's players are dropping off like flies due to covid. But goaltending could remain a problem as I'm not sure if any of the four goalies have the quality to carry the team. We'd need that though because defense isn't what it was last year anymore. A lot of weight on Pezzullo's shoulders now.

I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that the Swiss beat Slovakia and Germany in the round robin to finish 3rd in the group. From there, you're very likely to get Sweden, USA or Russia in the quarterfinals. Obviously anything can happen, but it would likely take a fantastic performance from your netminder to steal that game and get to the semis.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, anything can happen, of course. It's a tournament and if you reach the knock-out round you can hope for a medal.

My point was: it's the weakest roster for years, playing against men doesn't help if your serving 5 min 4th line duty each game. If we always talk about medals we tend to forget that there are some serious problems in the Swiss system and if we don't take care of them the gap to the top-6 which obviously was closer than anytime before in the last year will grow again.

And still don't agree with the Hollenstein-bashing from @Hinterland. But I don't have to. ;)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czech-Austria game could be damn close... Austria has the best player in that game as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Austria isn't any better than your usual relegation team. Without Nickl and Urbanek they are actually likely weaker than your usual relegation team. Czechs - Austria being a close game is just.. I'm choosing between "ridiculously cautious" and "disconnected from reality". I suppose it's somewhere in between.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Czech-Austria game could be damn close... Austria has the best player in that game as well.

Rossi? I'm not so sure. I was never high on the guy to begin with...then you also have to wonder about his shape. Played one single league game for the Lions and even had an assist. But man, he didn't look good. After that he had covid and was kept out of the lineup even beyond quarantine. Only played one game afterwards, the cup game vs Langenthal. Lions won 8-0 against the SL-team but Rossi was scoreless and probably the Lions worst player. Can that guy be in the form of his life? I find that hard to believe...but we'll see. Given the circumstances, I wouldn't expect too much.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Rossi? I'm not so sure. I was never high on the guy to begin with...then you also have to wonder about his shape. Played one single league game for the Lions and even had an assist. But man, he didn't look good. After that he had covid and was kept out of the lineup even beyond quarantine. Only played one game afterwards, the cup game vs Langenthal. Lions won 8-0 against the SL-team but Rossi was scoreless and probably the Lions worst player. Can that guy be in the form of his life? I find that hard to believe...but we'll see. Given the circumstances, I wouldn't expect too much.
I'm a pretty big fan of Rossi and think he'll make a hell of an NHLer. I would've done cartwheels if my Oilers had gotten him. I do admit I was not familiar with his recent woes. Thank you for that. He is a Top 10 pick. Czechs highest rated player would be Mysak in the second round. We have a top 10 pick once every 5 years or so lately (maybe Svozil or Jiricek but that is a long way off). I have no reason to believe this Czech team will be high scoring. Their best hope is to keep games close, play boring hockey and counter attack.

None of the Czechs have a: played a lot or b: are tearing up their respective leagues. Probably our 2 in Sweden have played the most - Pistek and Muzik and I'm not sure if they make the team or not.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that the Swiss beat Slovakia and Germany in the round robin to finish 3rd in the group. From there, you're very likely to get Sweden, USA or Russia in the quarterfinals. Obviously anything can happen, but it would likely take a fantastic performance from your netminder to steal that game and get to the semis.
I'm really looking forward to watching those games between the Swiss/Germany/Slovakia... I think they'll be great hockey with tonnes of drama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad