Red Sox/MLB 2021 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just read a great article in the Athletic about Zack Greinke. I've always liked MLB players who were wing-nuts, and Greinke is one of the beauts. He's also one of my favorite pitchers. Probably one of the most underrated pitchers of the last 15 years.....mostly because he's weird as shit....

For me, its articles like these that make the Athletic subscription worth it...

‘I’d trade you.’ Zack Greinke’s closest confidants try to explain his blunt ... brilliance?

Here's a sample:

Ellis : We were kind of scuffling, and he and I weren’t playing that day. We’re shagging in the outfield. I said, “Hey, Zack, you’re a really smart guy; you understand the game. If we’re gonna turn this team around, what would you do? Think about roster moves, trades, minor-league guys. What would you do?” In Zack fashion, he doesn’t answer right away.

In the fifth inning, about two or three hours later, Zack sidles up next to me on the rail at Petco Park. He goes, “I’ve been thinking about your question.” I have to rack my brain and think about what question. He goes, “The first thing I’d do is I’d trade you.” I said, “What?” He goes, “I would trade you because your value will never be higher than it is right now, and we can probably get a Double-A starting pitcher that will help us down the road, and this offseason we can sign Brian McCann because he’s a free agent. That’s probably going to be the best thing for us.” He kind of pivots his head around, looks back and then he turns back and goes, “What about you?”

Reactions: McGarnagle and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just read a great article in the Athletic about Zack Greinke. I've always liked MLB players who were wing-nuts, and Greinke is one of the beauts. He's also one of my favorite pitchers. Probably one of the most underrated pitchers of the last 15 years.....mostly because he's weird as shit....

‘I’d trade you.’ Zack Greinke’s closest confidants try to explain his blunt ... brilliance?

Here's a sample:

Ellis : We were kind of scuffling, and he and I weren’t playing that day. We’re shagging in the outfield. I said, “Hey, Zack, you’re a really smart guy; you understand the game. If we’re gonna turn this team around, what would you do? Think about roster moves, trades, minor-league guys. What would you do?” In Zack fashion, he doesn’t answer right away.

In the fifth inning, about two or three hours later, Zack sidles up next to me on the rail at Petco Park. He goes, “I’ve been thinking about your question.” I have to rack my brain and think about what question. He goes, “The first thing I’d do is I’d trade you.” I said, “What?” He goes, “I would trade you because your value will never be higher than it is right now, and we can probably get a Double-A starting pitcher that will help us down the road, and this offseason we can sign Brian McCann because he’s a free agent. That’s probably going to be the best thing for us.” He kind of pivots his head around, looks back and then he turns back and goes, “What about you?”

I may be telling this wrong- I don’t remember the player (maybe Alex gordon?) but a royal was scuffling once and Greinke pulled them aside into a film room to “break things down” and showed them a video of Greinke hitting a HR. He goes “do more of that” :laugh:

Reactions: Smitty93

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Another one from the Greinke article:

Buck: I had been catching him for a while. This was right at the end. And it happened to be the year he was having his Cy Young year (2009). In the middle of that, he said, “John, I know I’m throwing good, but I’m starting to second-guess myself. I don’t want you to catch me anymore.” I was just kind of like, “What?” I was young, too. My ego was hurt. And then he goes, “I just think you’re too smart. You just make me out-think what I’m calling. You have too many good reasons, and sometimes I just want to throw it. And with Miguel Olivo, I just don’t get that.” We’re both sitting there, and Olivo is like, “OK, so I’m dumb?” And Zack goes, “Yeah, but I like throwing to you.” Olivo and I were like, “How do we both want to punch him, but we both get it and appreciate his honesty?”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The story behind the Fenway pizza throw

It's one of the most bizarre fan interactions ever caught on video at a baseball game.

Sure, spectators get in arguments, they get in fights, they'll even steal foul balls from each other. But throwing a slice of pizza at a fan? A fan who's cheering for the same team you're cheering for? For what seemingly looks like no reason?

"I've been talking about it for too long," Dan Kelly, infamous Fenway pizza thrower, said in a recent phone interview. "But I'm not done, I'm ready to [throw the pizza] again."

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Here's a sample:

I don't know if it was the same article or not, but a friend sent me an excerpt yesterday about how Greinke wanted to know how the arbitration process played out with GMs, agents, and lawyers, but his agent wouldn't let him go to his arbitration hearing, so he went to Jake Odorizzi's arbitration instead.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Chaim Bloom is a genius again!!!

have fun with your clueless dork!

I don’t put any stock in spring training results, it’s all about ramping up to the regular season and trying to look more and more like your regular self. That said this is good to see. You just want to see growth

ERod showed that off yesterday, Richards did that today. Can’t ask for much more. Just keep ramping up because they are #1 and #2 in the rotation if everybody is healthy aside from Sale imo

Reactions: Alicat

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
have fun with your clueless dork!

I don’t put any stock in spring training results, it’s all about ramping up to the regular season and trying to look more and more like your regular self. That said this is good to see. You just want to see growth

ERod showed that off yesterday, Richards did that today. Can’t ask for much more. Just keep ramping up because they are #1 and #2 in the rotation if everybody is healthy aside from Sale imo

I wonder how the splits are for those guys trying to make the team and how they line up with the splits of guys who are going to be on the team and ramping up as you say.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wonder how the splits are for those guys trying to make the team and how they line up with the splits of guys who are going to be on the team and ramping up as you say.

would be interesting to evaluate that year by year- you’ll probably see a trend where the proven starters don’t really give a shit about their first few starts. It’s all about getting your work in...it’s not a results-oriented situation

you probably see more desperation immediately in the fringe guys

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
would be interesting to evaluate that year by year- you’ll probably see a trend where the proven starters don’t really give a shit about their first few starts. It’s all about getting your work in...it’s not a results-oriented situation

you probably see more desperation immediately in the fringe guys

We need to signal the needs for this :laugh:

Reactions: CDJ

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Whitlock will be a bullpen option but what do you guys think his role would be? Long guy? Any chance he works his way to a late inning reliever?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Whitlock will be a bullpen option but what do you guys think his role would be? Long guy? Any chance he works his way to a late inning reliever?

Swing man to start but I could actually see him working his way towards the rotation at some point if there’s an opening

96 mph sinkers play in the late innings though

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad