OT - NO POLITICS 2021 - Spring Fever Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts

I am curious about the psychology of this. I was first in line to be vaccinated back in Feb so convincing me to do so was no problem, but for folks on the fence, is the minuscule chance at 1 million dollars better than a guaranteed smaller amount (or free beer)? As someone with no interest in playing the lottery I wouldn't see that 1 million dollar prize being much of an incentive.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I am curious about the psychology of this. I was first in line to be vaccinated back in Feb so convincing me to do so was no problem, but for folks on the fence, is the minuscule chance at 1 million dollars better than a guaranteed smaller amount (or free beer)? As someone with no interest in playing the lottery I wouldn't see that 1 million dollar prize being much of an incentive.

As someone with experience in the gambling industry, I can tell you the psychology is the opposite of yours for those who gamble (hence the reason you have no interest). In the majority of cases, lower, but more frequent, easier to win payouts are reinvested trying to chase the big win. Vegas lives off a 1-2% profit, meaning they pay out 98-99% of every dollar they take in. But they know that 98-99% is going right back on the table or into the slots, and that's what keeps the lights on.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
6 months ago I purchased a groupon for 12 at a local paintball field. I gifted to "the guys" with the intention of getting everyone together. I need it. They need it. We all need it after the last year and a half. The group has grown from 8, to nearly 20 guys going now. I think I put down 40 bucks, and now the first 12 guys that confirmed they were in will each save $35 in what will be about a 100 dollar day for each of us. Not bad!

We are on the schedule for this Saturday, 9-4 or however long these old men last. Of course last week I was hit with the man cold but I'm good now. Part way through the cold recovery I threw my back out something FIERCE, and I've hardly been able to move for over a full week now. Today, I am super tight in the upper back/shoulder area, but the pain is fading. It looks like I will be good to go for Saturday, but will likely need the icy hot Saturday night lol.

I haven't anticipated a day like this in years.

Reactions: sooshii and Alicat

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
Graduated this evening with my master's degree in public health! Crazy time to be doing it (focus in maternal and child health, not infectious diseases lol) and it was so strange to graduate online (via slideshow) without my family, but finishing is a bright spot in what's been a pretty hard past year and half.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Graduated this evening with my master's degree in public health! Crazy time to be doing it (focus in maternal and child health, not infectious diseases lol) and it was so strange to graduate online (via slideshow) without my family, but finishing is a bright spot in what's been a pretty hard past year and half.
Congratulations!!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Your perseverance is admirable, well done and all the best.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Wow, got a dealer to budge a little on price today! Then the "fees" line item jumped over 100 bucks and the only explanation was "It's mandatory and this is the right fee." So I told the guy how sketchy this was getting and to find out what this fee entails. It's New Hampshire, so I know the doc is capped, any extra is simply admin aka profit. If this "fee" included my MA state DMV fees, then that's fine but you have to be able to explain it at least.

There's still over a grand here in profit that I know of. Hoping to bring it down a few hundred still but getting annoyed with this guy.

Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
That’s great. Must have been hard work. My daughter was asking me about doing this same program. Do you have a recommendation?

Reactions: toria13

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
That’s great. Must have been hard work. My daughter was asking me about doing this same program. Do you have a recommendation?

I would say it depends on what's she's doing it for. I have many classmates who are applying to med school now and I'd say that's a very expensive option (note: apparently some med schools will let you get an MPH during med school and it costs less). I loved my program, even though I feel like I missed out on a lot of benefits due to the shift to online.

I would say getting an MPH is not generally super academically rigorous, but it's definitely heavy on practical stuff and group work, and it's not easy at all, just in a different way than academically challenging. I picked my program based on the amount of money they gave me, but the other big thing is to think about connections and not just generally but where she wants to work. Emory if she wants the CDC, etc. Also maternal and child health has kind of a soft-skills rep and it's definitely possible to go through the program without getting hard skills (statistical programing experience, epi, etc) but you can also control that by what electives you pick.

Bottom line, getting an MPH won't necessarily make you stand out, but if you want to work in public health research or program design or basically anything that involves decision-making in public health, it's pretty much a requirement to have an MPH just to get in the door at this point.

You can pm me if you have any more questions. It's something I love to talk about haha.

Reactions: WestCoastBruinsFan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Oregon Trail Generation.....LOL....spot on...

How about the Carmen SanDiego Generation?

From all the Help Wanted signs I've seen EVERYWHERE in the past month....Should be the WHERE'S WALDO Generation being important immediately.
I was obsessed with Carmen SanDiego. It was Clue meets world history and geography all in one. I could play it for hours and never get tired of it. The show on PBS was great too.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I would say it depends on what's she's doing it for. I have many classmates who are applying to med school now and I'd say that's a very expensive option (note: apparently some med schools will let you get an MPH during med school and it costs less). I loved my program, even though I feel like I missed out on a lot of benefits due to the shift to online.

I would say getting an MPH is not generally super academically rigorous, but it's definitely heavy on practical stuff and group work, and it's not easy at all, just in a different way than academically challenging. I picked my program based on the amount of money they gave me, but the other big thing is to think about connections and not just generally but where she wants to work. Emory if she wants the CDC, etc. Also maternal and child health has kind of a soft-skills rep and it's definitely possible to go through the program without getting hard skills (statistical programing experience, epi, etc) but you can also control that by what electives you pick.

Bottom line, getting an MPH won't necessarily make you stand out, but if you want to work in public health research or program design or basically anything that involves decision-making in public health, it's pretty much a requirement to have an MPH just to get in the door at this point.

You can pm me if you have any more questions. It's something I love to talk about haha.
Thanks, I appreciate the quick and detailed reply. I copied and pasted your reply in a text to my daughter.

Reactions: toria13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad