OT - NO POLITICS 2021 - Spring Fever Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I thought the ice that fell off the rook had destroyed the front bush in front of my window but it didn't. The stupid thing has 9 lives and is back to reek havoc on my allergies for another year. Grr.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
folks here's the deal from what our State CDC Director has stated about the vaccines:

1st shot is the primer that activates the immune system to combat any virus including COV-2;

2nd shot is akin to a booster shot;

majority is that's why some have reported the scenario of being almost flu-like symptoms after the booster is administered;

MCDC Daily update for 4/7/21 (Live presser @ 2 pm);

319 new/1 death (478);

now, unfortunately, the allocation for J& J, Specifically is being slashed for the coming week here about 2500 doses, despite what the State here has done opening up vaccination slots to 16 and up, the mobile sites to the rural parts of this state, etc....

Maine is in the top 4 or 5 in three categories: # of cases/deaths/vaccinations depending on which tracker you follow.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Baker says 1.5 million state residents have preregistered to book vaccine - The Boston Globe

About 1.5 million Massachusetts residents have preregistered to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment since the state’s online system launched last month, Governor Charlie Baker said Wednesday.
Baker said more than 800,000 people who preregistered have received “the opportunity to book appointments.”
The preregistration system, available on the state’s website, initially offered appointments at seven mass vaccination sites across the state.
After touring a vaccination site in Revere, Baker said the state later this week will add two regional vaccination collaboratives to the preregistration system, in Amherst-Northampton and Marshfield.
“The vaccine is obviously a crucial part of how we get past the pandemic,” Baker said, adding that more than 4 million doses have been administered in Massachusetts, with 1.5 million residents fully vaccinated. The state is focused on vaccinating the senior population and communities of color, groups disproportionately affected by the pandemic, he said.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good to see...

‘We’ve never seen anything like it.’ The rush is on to book summer rentals - The Boston Globe

The bookings began in December and continued at a rapid clip through December, January, and February. In the winter of our pandemic discontent, people were mentally escaping by dreaming of a luminous New England day at the beach in record numbers.
Alison Courtois at Tamarack Rentals in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, said she is now explaining to potential renters that many of the prime summer weeks and holidays already have been booked. She still has inventory, but all of the coveted beachfront rentals are full.
“When I tell them we have nothing left for a particular week, they’re like, ‘We usually don’t call until late April, and we’ve never had a problem before,’” Courtois said.

Long before the CDC told Americans it would be safe to travel domestically after being vaccinated, a vacation-starved nation began booking trips. New Englanders hoping to stay local began snatching up rentals, hotel rooms, and home shares when it was still snowing. Not only are rentals and hotel rooms going fast, but in many cases they’re outpacing 2019 numbers. In Newport, R.I., William Rademacher, general manager of the Wayfinder, said small group bookings — primarily extended families looking to vacation together — are up 30 percent over where they were in 2019.

“In a nutshell, we are sort of back to the future here,” said Wendy Northcross, chief executive officer of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce. “We haven’t seen people booking this far in advance in about 20 years. Over the years our local northeastern guests learned to wait and wait until the last minute to try to grab a deal online. But with the pandemic and the tremendous desire to get back to normal, or just get away, we are seeing people committing and booking, even in the face of some rising case numbers.”

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Good to see...

‘We’ve never seen anything like it.’ The rush is on to book summer rentals - The Boston Globe

The bookings began in December and continued at a rapid clip through December, January, and February. In the winter of our pandemic discontent, people were mentally escaping by dreaming of a luminous New England day at the beach in record numbers.
Alison Courtois at Tamarack Rentals in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, said she is now explaining to potential renters that many of the prime summer weeks and holidays already have been booked. She still has inventory, but all of the coveted beachfront rentals are full.
“When I tell them we have nothing left for a particular week, they’re like, ‘We usually don’t call until late April, and we’ve never had a problem before,’” Courtois said.

Long before the CDC told Americans it would be safe to travel domestically after being vaccinated, a vacation-starved nation began booking trips. New Englanders hoping to stay local began snatching up rentals, hotel rooms, and home shares when it was still snowing. Not only are rentals and hotel rooms going fast, but in many cases they’re outpacing 2019 numbers. In Newport, R.I., William Rademacher, general manager of the Wayfinder, said small group bookings — primarily extended families looking to vacation together — are up 30 percent over where they were in 2019.

“In a nutshell, we are sort of back to the future here,” said Wendy Northcross, chief executive officer of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce. “We haven’t seen people booking this far in advance in about 20 years. Over the years our local northeastern guests learned to wait and wait until the last minute to try to grab a deal online. But with the pandemic and the tremendous desire to get back to normal, or just get away, we are seeing people committing and booking, even in the face of some rising case numbers.”

We booked a week in Old Orchard Beach in July. We usually go south - Jersey, Maryland, North Carolina. By the time we figured out that we felt comfortable traveling, the pickings were very slim. We love Maine so it's fine, and we found a cute place 4 houses from the beach at a good price so I'm happy.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
well, here's a shock to the system:

NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon asymptomatic during the off week between Bristol and Martinsville.....is fully cleared by Fox Sports to resume duties this weekend at Martinsville.

Reactions: dabid

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Buds, pollen, and bees ....
Oh my.
this guy tried getting in the chicken coop last nite.
20210408_082054.jpg

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Im keeping an eye out for when the day comes Broadway is back to normal.

Mainly for the Bride.

We’ve done tons of shows in Boston but never Broadway. The Bride, believe it or not, has never been to NYC. I been zillion times for business over the decades.

I think when they reopen I’ll book the Acela , she’s never been on that, and spend a few touristy days there.
Take in some shows and sites.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Good to see...

Same down here on the CT shoreline. There is NOTHING available and the prices were through the roof, apparently.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Im keeping an eye out for when the day comes Broadway is back to normal.

Mainly for the Bride.

We’ve done tons of shows in Boston but never Broadway. The Bride, believe it or not, has never been to NYC. I been zillion times for business over the decades.

I think when they reopen I’ll book the Acela , she’s never been on that, and spend a few touristy days there.
Take in some shows and sites.

The Acela is a lovely little trip imo. Amtrak travel is a little pricey, Acela or not, but I find it to be a very relaxing journey. I've been up and down the Northeast Corridor several times and have always enjoyed myself.

Reactions: BMC and CHRDANHUTCH

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Acela is a lovely little trip imo. Amtrak travel is a little pricey, Acela or not, but I find it to be a very relaxing journey. I've been up and down the Northeast Corridor several times and have always enjoyed myself.

ive taken to DC and back. Time was a wash for me out of Providence.
As opposed to driving to Logan hassle. Security. All that stuff.
Plus I liked getting up and walking around.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Anyone having trouble logging into Facebook?

It keeps switching from saying I have no internet service to network error, but I’m posting this from my iPad, so clearly I have internet.

Anyone else?

Reactions: TD Charlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->