2021 Silly Season Complete Movement

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I figured I’d make a complete list of all the movement throughout minor league hockey since the last offseason. Some of the moves might have been made prior.

AHL
  • Binghamton Devils -> Utica Comets
  • Utica Comets -> Abbotsford (name TBD)
  • Expansion to Palm Springs, CA (22-23)
  • Charlotte, Milwaukee, Springfield Activate
ECHL
  • Brampton folds
  • Expansion to Coralville, IA (Iowa Heartlanders)
  • Expansion to Trois-Rivières, QC (name TBD)
  • Expansion to Savannah, GA (22-23)
  • 11 dormant teams set to return
SPHL
  • Expansion to Danville, IL (Vermilion County Bobcats)
  • 5 dormant teams set to return
FPHL
  • Mentor folds
  • Danville goes dormant, status TBD
  • Elmira goes dormant, status TBD
  • Expansion to Binghamton, NY (Binghamton Black Bears)
  • Status of Motor City and Bloomington TBD
  • Watertown, Delaware, Danbury set to return

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
FPHL ...
  • Danville should be in the Status TBD list, as Barry Soskin has mentioned he's looking for a new home for the former Dashers franchise.

Reactions: Atlantian

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
SPHL ...
  • Vermilion [one L despite what the League website says] County Bobcats ...
  • Commissioner Doug Price has been teasing a 12th team for next season

I wonder where that 12th team is going to be. Reasonably, they could try and put a new team in the Carolinas, but I don't know of any markets they could go into that haven't either been burned by hockey or already are in the FPHL.

It would make three reasonable divisions (especially with dealing with the Midwest teams), and I know, minor league hockey isn't reasonable.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I wonder where that 12th team is going to be. Reasonably, they could try and put a new team in the Carolinas, but I don't know of any markets they could go into that haven't either been burned by hockey or already are in the FPHL.

It would make three reasonable divisions (especially with dealing with the Midwest teams), and I know, minor league hockey isn't reasonable.
Ive heard there have been people interested from Tupelo, Biloxi, Tallahassee, and Florence so they have some options. Some more reasonable than others. I’ve been thinking the Fed may be interested in some of these southern markets as well as Huntington

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Minor league hockey has been remarkably stable given the events of the past year. I assume that subsidies have something to do with that, but we'll see.

I'm quite happy with the stability of the ECHL. I've long thought that the league would contract to the 20 team range. I'm quite happy to have been wrong about this.

The FPHL has been much less volatile than I would have guessed. I don't have the problem with it that many seem to have on this board. When the league had teams in Dayton, I saw many games and enjoyed the product.

Speaking of Dayton, I was in the area two weeks ago and passed Hara. Very little remained of that wonderful place. It looked like the demo and removal work (except for the parking lot) could be done as I type this. R.I.P. Hara.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
A twelfth team in the SPHL has been hinted at for several months and there were reports of a mystery team taking picks at the expansion draft. Now, the Bring Back Our Sea Wolves page on facebook has shared that there will be an event at Mississippi Coast Coliseum (Biloxi, MS) on July 14th. I believe Biloxi is the 12th team. Have heard rumblings of Biloxi for the last several months, although I has assumed it would become a Fed market. Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad