Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I dont think he has to go because of that, that blame is squarely on BB. If anything, if he shows up this year because hes "innocent" he should be held to a very high standard, ie, you are late, you act out, you dont play. Dress, skate around and then go sit in the locker room

If they want to regain credibility with the remaining players, they have to. You can't let Kane stay after something like this when you didn't discipline him when it matters. The players know any attempt to keep him will be hollow.

Reactions: hockeyCEO

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If they want to regain credibility with the remaining players, they have to. You can't let Kane stay after something like this when you didn't discipline him when it matters. The players know any attempt to keep him will be hollow.
but it still matters, the amount it "matters" has not changed. In fact, I would argue that doing it now, after the players spoke up is the team listening to them. They are smart enough to know hes not tradable at the moment.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
So Kurz is being taken at his word now when he reports that Kane is late for games and practices? Has this been substantiated at all? The story is oddly vague in its details. We don't know if it was frequent or once or twice. Given that he is going through some major personal issues, it is reasonable if it was a handful of times and he later corrected the issue after being confronted by management which would be the proper course of action if we are to believe the story. These are pieces of information we are not privy to.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
but it still matters, the amount it "matters" has not changed. In fact, I would argue that doing it now, after the players spoke up is the team listening to them. They are smart enough to know hes not tradable at the moment.

I would argue that it doesn't matter because the other players' view of it will not change. You're not changing the culture of accountability or lack thereof by doing it way late. If we're to believe the reports, it's irrelevant that he's not tradeable because he's not wanted back so that these sorts of things won't be undermined again. Best they can do is sit him for the season if no one takes him and he's not cancelled.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If we have the cap space next summer I would like to see Ferraro signed for 8 years at $4-5 million.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
So Kurz is being taken at his word now when he reports that Kane is late for games and practices? Has this been substantiated at all? The story is oddly vague in its details. We don't know if it was frequent or once or twice. Given that he is going through some major personal issues, it is reasonable if it was a handful of times and he later corrected the issue after being confronted by management which would be the proper course of action if we are to believe the story. These are pieces of information we are not privy to.

Don't you understand how this works? Kurz is a hack when he reports things we do not like but when its stuff that fits our narrative he is the only one giving us the real story.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Don't you understand how this works? Kurz is a hack when he reports things we do not like but when its stuff that fits our narrative he is the only one giving us the real story.
Its somewhat convenient that he is reporting it after the fact. How many times was Kane late?

It sort of has the feel of what teams do after they trade a guy that fans like, when they "leak" all this negative stuff. So maybe the front office is getting us ready for a terminated contract.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Screen-Shot-2021-08-04-at-9.17.44-PM.png

Apologies for how massive this came out, but interesting look from Evolving Wild at Wins Added and dollars spent this offseason. Sharks added the 5th most wins of any team this offseason, but did so by only adding $3.3 million in salary per the chart. Anyone that added more than that did so at a cost of 2.5-3.0x what the Sharks spent. The Kane saga will undoubtedly cast a different light on this calculation if he is gone, but on its face DW did a tremendous job improving the team while not going crazy in terms of spending.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Apologies for how massive this came out, but interesting look from Evolving Wild at Wins Added and dollars spent this offseason. Sharks added the 5th most wins of any team this offseason, but did so by only adding $3.3 million in salary per the chart. Anyone that added more than that did so at a cost of 2.5-3.0x what the Sharks spent. The Kane saga will undoubtedly cast a different light on this calculation if he is gone, but on its face DW did a tremendous job improving the team while not going crazy in terms of spending.

Would have been the perfect offseason (drama excluded of course) we tended to want in a year the Sharks were competing, find three quality pieces for $5M. The only time he did something similar was 2015 with Ward, Martin, Jones, and Donskoi, but that was more expensive in terms of dollars and assets.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Addition by subtraction really.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Tatar off the market. 2 years $4.5 million AAV with New Jersey. Solid addition for them.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
CBA related question/comment. Now that we signed Hill before it reached actual arbitration, our 2nd buy-out window is now closed, right? Believe that means there is no option to buy out Kane this offseason.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
CBA related question/comment. Now that we signed Hill before it reached actual arbitration, our 2nd buy-out window is now closed, right? Believe that means there is no option to buy out Kane this offseason.

Arb settlements also trigger the 2nd buyout window. I believe it's a 48 hour window three days after the agreement so the Sharks should be able to buy out any player making at least $4 million this weekend if they want to. It wouldn't make sense to buy Kane out now when there's still a chance they could get out of the contract scot free though.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Arb settlements also trigger the 2nd buyout window. I believe it's a 48 hour window three days after the agreement so the Sharks should be able to buy out any player making at least $4 million this weekend if they want to. It wouldn't make sense to buy Kane out now when there's still a chance they could get out of the contract scot free though.

Not advocating a buy out. Just trying to shut down the whole buying him out discussion.

My understanding was the 2nd buy-out window only opens if the player and team actually get to arbitration. I believe by signing Hill before reaching an arbitration hearing, our window for a 2nd buy-out won't actually open. Is this not correct?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
On another note, with Hill signing we are now at 49 of 50 contracts allowed, still needing to sign Gregor. It would be imprudent to go into the season with max contracts. Be no way to pick up anyone on waivers. Gotta believe DW is working the phones.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not advocating a buy out. Just trying to shut down the whole buying him out discussion.

My understanding was the 2nd buy-out window only opens if the player and team actually get to arbitration. I believe by signing Hill before reaching an arbitration hearing, our window for a 2nd buy-out won't actually open. Is this not correct?

No as long as a player files for arbitration a 2nd buyout window is opened whether the case is settled prior to or during arbitration. From CapFriendly:

E7vXZwyVEAATDEd

Reactions: Nolan11

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You might want to send that question to CF to get a definitive answer but I think them agreeing to terms is the settlement that would open the buyout window in three days after so starting Saturday. Can't imagine a buyout would be used before knowing the results.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
On another note, with Hill signing we are now at 49 of 50 contracts allowed, still needing to sign Gregor. It would be imprudent to go into the season with max contracts. Be no way to pick up anyone on waivers. Gotta believe DW is working the phones.

Trade one of the three Barracuda goalies at least - probably Sawchenko?

Reactions: Nolan11

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm starting to think that if the NHL investigation finds Kane innocent, that we're going into the season with him with the Sharks brass holding him way more accountable (as they should have last year, but we're here now so whatever). Obviously, his behavior in the locker room was a problem before this gambling news came out, so if he's cleared of the big charge, my guess is DW is going to go into the season with him but make sure his behavior is way more managed.

That is if he can't trade him (can't imagine how). I'm guessing if he can swing a trade, he'd do it in a second.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I was under the impression that ELC slides don't count toward the 50 (Robins, Weisblatt, and Gushchin).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->