Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They did what you’re suggesting teams will try to Seattle to do. They traded the Clarkson contract as well as picks.
I think teams pay to get Seattle to take a contract off their hands like Vancouver could with Eriksson.

I don't think teams are going to be paying to protect a certain player. If you had to go 4-4-1, how valuable is that 5th forward. A lot will depend on contracts, as teams have had time to prepare for the ED and didn't give out NMC to non top end players. So, if a name player has term left, that player could be exposed rather than get protected.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unless we trade for a defenseman that's under contract next year, one of Myers/Schmidt has to be exposed. I dont trust Benning to not expose Schmidt
If the Canucks finish with a top 8 pick before the lottery I don’t see Aquaman bringing Benning back.

remember he tweeted that the dark days are at and end in the offseason before the 19-20 season? Can’t be happy seeing all of the bad contracts Benning signed being the cause of their downfall this season.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Unless we trade for a defenseman that's under contract next year, one of Myers/Schmidt has to be exposed. I dont trust Benning to not expose Schmidt
Juolevi would fill that requirement if he plays 13 more games, Chatfield 18 more. Benn or Hamonic, if they re-sign, would fill the requirement (either one at ~$1-1.5m for next season would be worth having).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Juolevi would fill that requirement if he plays 13 more games, Chatfield 18 more. Benn or Hamonic, if they re-sign, would fill the requirement (either one at ~$1-1.5m for next season would be worth having).
See what the tdl brings. Edler, Benn, and Hamonic are ufa.

If they move guys out they may end up taking a contract back that meets the requirements.

TB likely is leaving McDonaugh available. They likely go 4-4-1 to also protect Foote who is eligible like Lind is. End up protecting Kuch, Stamkos, Point and Cirelli.
Leaving all of Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, etc available.

likely if a veteran is chosen it is likely to be Palat. 30 with 2 years left on his contract. Someone they could move at the tdl for assets to a contender.

so could see some big names left exposed. I mean would Nashville leave Duchene and the final 5 years of his $8 mill per available?

will be some good vets available. Just that some of them will have a high cap hit for too long a term for Seattle to want. Myers may be in that category.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
EP
Hughes
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Hoglander
Schmidt
Demko

regardless of exceptions, those are the only ones worth protecting.

Hence why this management group should be looking to acquire players who are good and might be exposed.

instead, they likely extend Sutter and Pearson and remain utter shit.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
EP
Hughes
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Hoglander
Schmidt
Demko

Hence why this management group should be looking to acquire players who are good and might be exposed.

They don’t have the cap space to extend them barring massive discounts.

between replacing Pearson and Sutter with a cheap contract for like $2 mill combined that allows them $6 mill of freed up cap space to shift to Petey. Add in the Spooner buyout that puts you at $7 mill to shift to give Petey upwards of $8 mill in cap space if needed. Edler and Benn if replaced with cheap contracts frees up $6 mill for Hughes so that he could upwards of $7 mill. But still need to extend Demko around $2.5-$3 mill depending on how he finishes the season. Blackwood got $2.8 on a 3 year deal as a comparison.

Canucks need to move their ufas for picks.

Edler he has the nmc so completely up to him what he wants to do. Given the pandemic I fully get not wanting to leave. Edler isn’t Kesler who would leave for a chance at the cup. If he doesn’t waive that is his right.

canucks could then later use the picks to get guys who can’t be protected.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
EP
Hughes
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Hoglander
Schmidt
Demko

Add Motte to this list

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Assuming Seattle takes three goalies, I have a hard time believing one of those isn't Holtby - though I may need to research who else will be projected to be exposed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Holtby has 1 year left. Looking around the NHL, you’d have Riitich, Allen as North goalies who could be a starter. Andersen in Toronto is a ufa.
West, Quick, Jones, Miller, Fleury, khudobin, Talbot in the west as I believe teams would put their veteran out there.
Central and East I would think Varlamnov as I think the isles wouldn’t mind losing the contract. Jarry from Pitt.
A lot of veteran goalies will be ufa like Rinne, Binnington, Andersen, etc.

rules do dictate that Seattle has to claim players who would combine for a certain total cap hit. Something around $50 mill give or take is the range.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I know people won’t believe this, but GM’s are dumb, will look at Myers and how Green uses him and the minutes he plays and will want to select him.

it’s unfortunate we will never expose him.

Reactions: bh53

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Assuming Seattle takes three goalies, I have a hard time believing one of those isn't Holtby - though I may need to research who else will be projected to be exposed.

There are going to be so many better options. Allen, Francouz, Campbell, Merzlikins/Korpisalo, etc.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I highly, highly, doubt they will take Holtby. He hasn't been good for like 3 and a half years.

There are much more interesting backup/platoon options.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
REMINDER

You CAN change your vote UP until the Seattle draft expansion sometime in July. So change as you feel I cant stress that enough :shakehead

Reactions: WTG

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I highly, highly, doubt they will take Holtby. He hasn't been good for like 3 and a half years.

There are much more interesting backup/platoon options.
Vegas wanted Fleury and Pittsburgh still had to pay a 2nd round pick plus for him.

Holtby I think will be less desirable as his play has regressed and he isn’t a marketable star like Fleury.

Reactions: timw33

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are going to be so many better options. Allen, Francouz, Campbell, Merzlikins/Korpisalo, etc.
Plenty of current starters will be UFA. Merzlikins is exempt thus CBS could protect Korpisalo. Grubauer is UFA, so Avs could protect someone else.

Allen has term, and is a platoon goalie vs a legit starter.

So, really, plenty of options available for Seattle depending on how they want to setup their goaltending. I don't foresee them getting a younger guy from the ED who could grow into that spot.

Reactions: timw33

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Vegas wanted Fleury and Pittsburgh still had to pay a 2nd round pick plus for him.

Holtby I think will be less desirable as his play has regressed and he isn’t a marketable star like Fleury.
I think that comes down to Pittsburgh being desperate and failing to call Vegas' bluff.

However, Fleury was a lot more desirable at the time than Holtby is now, so not the same situation.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Plenty of current starters will be UFA. Merzlikins is exempt thus CBS could protect Korpisalo. Grubauer is UFA, so Avs could protect someone else.

Allen has term, and is a platoon goalie vs a legit starter.

So, really, plenty of options available for Seattle depending on how they want to setup their goaltending. I don't foresee them getting a younger guy from the ED who could grow into that spot.

One of Bishop or Khudobin (2 more years at 3.33 might be a good option to platoon with younger goalie) as well.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
if we protect myers, jim benning will have lost all faith by canucks fans. someone taking him would be a huge benefit for our future

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
if we protect myers, jim benning will have lost all faith by canucks fans. someone taking him would be a huge benefit for our future
You can pretty much predict it already. We are protecting Myers if Benning is still around.

Given that we don't even have that many players really worth protecting, I'd much rather use those protection slots to our advantage. Just can't see it happening unless a change in management occurs.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
Just bumping this thread. At the rate the Canucks are playing Juolevi, they aren't even going to have to protect him. He's currently 12 games away, so unless they trade away some bodies at the deadline and play him, he'll be exempt. That would leave only Schmidt and Myers (who should be exposed).

They are in the perfect spot to take advantage of this. Too bad we are capped out, and Elmer Fud is running the show.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Just bumping this thread. At the rate the Canucks are playing Juolevi, they aren't even going to have to protect him. He's currently 12 games away, so unless they trade away some bodies at the deadline and play him, he'll be exempt. That would leave only Schmidt and Myers (who should be exposed).

They are in the perfect spot to take advantage of this. Too bad we are capped out, and Elmer Fud is running the show.

upload_2021-3-23_14-51-20.png

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Juolevi is already eligible for the expansion draft; there's no exemption available for him.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, the 12 games play would be to allow him to fulfill the expansion requirement of exposing an NHL quality defenceman who is an RFA or under contract next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad