Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Holtby's cap hit is $4.3M and his salary next year is $5.7M so he's no slam dunk to be their choice. If he doesn't play well they won't touch him with a 10-foot pole.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They will be taking Holtby. Period. Anything else would be insane.

Why would they take on $5.7MM real salary and only one year of control when they'll probably be able to find a younger developing goalie with multiple years of team control left?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Why would they take on $5.7MM real salary and only one year of control when they'll probably be able to find a younger developing goalie with multiple years of team control left?

Because Myers contract is an albatross and we have nothing else really worth it?

More seriously, they might want a stabilizing veteran in net for their first season. I'm not sure who else would be available goalie wise though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bennington long term plan is finally
Coming into view. Suck for 7 years so Seattle
Won’t be able to take a good asset from
Us and then he will aim for being a playoff bubble team again

Got to give credit where credit is due. Benning pushed the price up for Markstrom and Tanev and got Detroit to sign Stecher. There might also be an Eriksson for Hickey deal in the works.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Got to give credit where credit is due. Benning pushed the price up for Markstrom and Tanev and got Detroit to sign Stecher. There might also be an Eriksson for Hickey deal in the works.
Rumor or source? First I have heard of these names together. Doesn't make sense either since the Islanders should be trying to shed cap themselves.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What do you mean, “got Detroit to sign Stecher”? Stecher, because we didn’t Qualify him, became a UFA. As for pushing the market on Markstrom and Tanev, they were both UFAs, and signed contracts according to the market.
Who is Hickey?

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I bet Benning protects Myers lol

He's got a real opportunity to trade for another team's defender that they won't be able to protect but don't want to go to Seattle, but I get the feeling he'll just protect Schmidt, Juolevi, and Myers.

Reactions: Nucker101

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’ve seen a little conversation about this and I’m curious about some of the logistics myself, so I thought we could have a thread to discuss the upcoming expansion draft, and who the Canucks will protect and who they will expose.

The rules;

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Based on my limited understanding, our exempt players would be: Nils Hoglander, Olli Juolevi, Jalen Chatfield

Our pending UFAs are: Brandon Sutter, Tanner Pearson, Alex Edler, Jordie Benn, Travis Hamonic

Assuming we go with 7 F, 3 D, 1G to protect, my guess would be...

F:
1 - Pettersson
2 - Boeser
3 - Miller
4 - Horvat
5 - Gaudette
6 - Virtanen
7 - Motte

Exposed: Roussel, Beagle, MacEwen

D:
1 - Hughes
2 - Schmidt
3 - Myers

Exposed: Question mark? At this point, do the Canucks have 4 defenders under contract that meet the expansion criteria?

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

G:
1 - Thatcher Demko

Exposed: Holtby

I think Holtby is our most likely player to he claimed, although MacEwen could be a candidate as well. I’m unclear on exactly how they calculate “first and second season” players, because MacEwen only played a handful of games over the past 2 seasons.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hughes doesn’t have to be protected.

our protection list after 7 years of Benning is bad.

Forwards 5-7 are 4th liners who get scratched.

Team needs to upgrade their spots.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think we have to expose Myers because no other D meets the requirements? not sure

Depending on how many games Juolevi/Chatfield play this season they could be exposed. They could also do something similar to what Edmonton did with Kris Russell and sign a guy like Jordie Benn to a 1 year, $700K contract and expose him(if Benn is willing to sign such a deal). Ideally they just protect Schmidt, Juolevi and Chatfield, or even better use this opportunity to acquire an unprotected d-man from some other team on the cheap.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’ve seen a little conversation about this and I’m curious about some of the logistics myself, so I thought we could have a thread to discuss the upcoming expansion draft, and who the Canucks will protect and who they will expose.

The rules;

Based on my limited understanding, our exempt players would be: Nils Hoglander, Olli Juolevi, Jalen Chatfield

Our pending UFAs are: Brandon Sutter, Tanner Pearson, Alex Edler, Jordie Benn, Travis Hamonic

F:
1 - Pettersson
2 - Boeser
3 - Miller
4 - Horvat
5 - Gaudette
6 - Virtanen
7 - Motte

D:
1 - Hughes
2 - Schmidt
3 - Myers

Exposed: Question mark? At this point, do the Canucks have 4 defenders under contract that meet the expansion criteria?

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

G:
1 - Thatcher Demko

I think Holtby is our most likely player to he claimed, although MacEwen could be a candidate as well. I’m unclear on exactly how they calculate “first and second season” players, because MacEwen only played a handful of games over the past 2 seasons.

The rules;

F:
1 - Pettersson
2 - Boeser
3 - Miller
4 - Horvat
5 - Gaudette
6 - Virtanen
7 - Motte

D:
1 - Hughes
2 - Schmidt
3 - Myers

G:
1 - Thatcher Demko

A couple things :

- the ‘first and second year pros’ thing I believe refers to the AHL as well, so Chatfield and Juolevi would be eligible.

- I believe Hughes would be a ‘2nd year pro’ and his stint at the end of 18-19 wouldn’t be counted, as I believe Hutton’s AHL stint and Tryamkin’s NHL stint at the end of seasons weren’t.

- I’d assume the 40-game requirement would be pro-rated to ~28 games with the shorter season, which would mean that if they could get Chatfield into 28 games he would qualify as the ‘experienced defender’ to expose.

I may stand to be corrected on any or all of these, though.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I've been convinced for a while that, barring any kind of trade, we'll lose either Gaudette or MacEwen to the Kraken.

Don't think they care for Holtby, and there's no hope they take Myers.

Edit - Actually, just realized there's a way to protect both guys:

F: Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Horvat, Gaudette, MacEwen, Motte
D: Schmidt, [new guy], [new guy]
G: Demko

Exposed: Virtanen, Beagle, Myers, Holtby, Juolevi, Eriksson, plus a bunch of depth guys like Bailey, etc.

Hopefully they take Jake, likelier they Olli.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think Virtanen is an interesting enough main piece that the Canucks can offer to certain teams for their fourth best defenceman who would otherwise be lost in the expansion draft. Those teams may be better off taking Virtanen+ and losing a lesser piece rather than losing the defenceman for nothing or paying Seattle not to take the defenceman.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think Virtanen is an interesting enough main piece that the Canucks can offer to certain teams for their fourth best defenceman who would otherwise be lost in the expansion draft. Those teams may be better off taking Virtanen+ and losing a lesser piece rather than losing the defenceman for nothing or paying Seattle not to take the defenceman.

Yep. Virtanen for Connor Murphy is a trade I think would work for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad