Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So next offseason the new Seattle team will do a expansion SIMILAR to the Las Vegas Golden Knights did in 2017. Here is who the Canucks protected in 2017 against the LVGK, and Im not kidding with this list lol:

Horvat
H Sedin NMC
D Sedin NMC
Baertchi
Sutter
W Granlund
Eriksson NMC

Edler
Tanev
Gudbranson

Markstrom

We exposed and lost Sbisa who is basically a #8 dman so no biggie lol

How about this year? We can protect SEVEN forwards and THREE dmen and ONE goalie. Of course this might change with the roster not COMPLETED at this point. I predict the FOLLOWING to be protected

Pettersson
Horvat
Miller
Boeser
Motte
Gadlovich
Lind

Schmidt
Myers
Juolevi??

Demko

Leaving the FOLLOWING exposed

Macewan
High-More
Eriksson
Beagle
Pearson
Ferland
Roussell

Dman?

Bowey

Holtby

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Honestly, the minute he signed his contract I hope Seattle would take Myers. Hell I'd even throw in like a 2nd so that they would. It's always foolhardy to do these so far in advance but who I think should for sure be protected:

Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Gaudette
Schmidt, Juolevi
Demko

Reactions: mriswith

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Honestly, the minute he signed his contract I hope Seattle would take Myers. Hell I'd even throw in like a 2nd so that they would. It's always foolhardy to do these so far in advance but who I think should for sure be protected:

Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Pettersson, Gaudette
Schmidt, Juolevi
Demko
I think there is a bigger Loui fish to fry with our first rounder instead. Assuming we actually make playoffs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Unless the 40/70 rule is pro rated, the Canucks will have a hard time exposing the required defenceman.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Either that or sign Ben Hutton for 2 years < $1m (he's only 5 games away).

There's a few other ufa defencemen options that aren't far from fulfilling the requirements.

Edit: or re-sign Benn for another season and play him 19 games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seattle isn't likely going to do us any favours and will probably default to selecting MacEwan or something. With the current financial environment the NHL is in I'm going to assume they will be the market of accepting sweeteners to take unwanted $$$. They're likely not going to do us a favour and just outright take Myers, but maybe if we pay them they'll take Eriksson off our hands. What that would cost remains to be seen.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think they'd take Myers if he were exposed. He's a top 4 defenceman, is surely among the best 4 defencemen exposed, and his cap hit won't cause any issues.

While he has his faults and is overpaid, Myers is a lot more of a rare asset than MacEwen or whoever else would be exposed.

I think Benning likely makes a move at some point so he doesn't have to expose Myers (it's not like we have another top 4 RHD knocking on the door).

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they'd take Myers if he were exposed. He's a top 4 defenceman, is surely among the best 4 defencemen exposed, and his cap hit won't cause any issues.

While he has his faults and is overpaid, Myers is a lot more of a rare asset than MacEwen or whoever else would be exposed.

I think Benning likely makes a move at some point so he doesn't have to expose Myers (it's not like we have another top 4 RHD knocking on the door).
Canucks right now have Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Schmidt and Demko as your likely locks for protection. With Hughes as the only exempt guy you would protect (with nhl exp.).

Means that the likes of Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, Lind, Juolevi, Myers, etc. are battling for the final 5 protection spots, or the Canucks work some deals into the Expansion draft with other teams rather than what they did in 2017 and not leave themselves any room to add a player.

Seattle also has the pressure of being somewhat competitive compared to LV. I see more second tier guys like Myers being exposed for their cap hit, like Johnson/Palat would be for TB, and others. Whereas in 2017, teams were giving out more NMC, thus had to protect more guys than they truly wanted, like Anaheim with Bieksa for example.

So, I see Seattle being offered 2nd and 3rd round picks to take a $4 mill plus cap hit player, ala M. Staal. Maybe even a 1st depending on term remaining.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Seems like we are set up nicely for the expansion draft. We will lose a Sbisa level player, so no worries.

Reactions: mathonwy

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I don't have a problem with Myers, but his contract is not an asset for us. I'd be fairly disappointed if we tried moving things around so we could keep that contract.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
What I've realized from analyzing all the hand wringing moves that teams made to protect certain players in the Vegas draft is that literally none of them worked out except for the ones that were a 1st rounder for a garbage player or salary dump.

Florida being the most glaring team that played it wrong.

We're set up to lose one of Motte, Gaudette, Roussel, Macewan, Lind, Rafferty, Juolevi or Holtby depending on how the protection plays out.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Are we sure that Hughes is exempt? I was under the impression that burning a year of a NHL contract counted as a season, no matter the number of games played. Does anyone have a good source on the games played minimum?

From the last expansion draft Kyle Baun was an available player and he was in the same position that Hughes will be in. Baun burned a year at the end of the 2014-15 season with only 3 games played which seemed to count as a season for him. If that 3 game 2014-15 season didn't count, then he would have been exempt as a second year player.

Edit: Nevermind, he will be exempt. Exemption is based on waiver eligibility seasons, not seasons on a NHL contract. For waivers Hughes was considered 19 when he signed, so his 9 games played don't count as a season towards waivers. Baun was 20+, so any games played would have counted towards a season for him.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Seems like we are set up nicely for the expansion draft. We will lose a Sbisa level player, so no worries.

That just means our team doesn't have enough good players and is a further ass show by our administration that we don't have good depth.

Reactions: rypper

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That just means our team doesn't have enough good players and is a further ass show by our administration that we don't have good depth.
I agree. Team only has 6 players who are locks to be protected. And 1 guy in Hughes who is exempt.

ideally Jake should have shown to be a lock but he isn’t. Same for Juolevi though I believe he will be protected.

mid like to say the same for Gaudette.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t disagree, but will add our best players are very young, so either don’t need protection, or are protected. Guys like Meyers can be exposed, and hopefully taken, but I think we will lose a younger guy. Perhaps Jake or Juiolevi?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I don’t disagree, but will add our best players are very young, so either don’t need protection, or are protected. Guys like Meyers can be exposed, and hopefully taken, but I think we will lose a younger guy. Perhaps Jake or Juiolevi?

None of our bad contracts will be taken by Seattle unless we pay through the teeth, thats for sure.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They had the new beat writer for the Kraken (for the Athletic) on the latest Vancast. He predicted they would take Braden Holtby.

(Myers was exposed.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad