2021 Seattle Expansion Draft (Seattle selects D. Gavin Bayruether)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I just think when you figure in Robinson’s contract, he makes too much sense right now. He is a legit NHL player on a cheap contract. If he works in Seattle, they can extend him. If not, there is no long term impact. They might even be able to flip him at the deadline next year if he is not in their future plans. Big, fast, decent enough defensively, minimal cap hit. Trade him for a 4th or 5th at the deadline to a team with a weak bottom 6.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Domi is such a tough call. Start was horrible, but has slowly progressed except with a few meathead games. When you watch him skate and pass, he oozes talent. If he had a coach who could help him get his head straight and shoot more I think he would be a really good player. The R-D-B line has been fun to watch in the past few games.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Domi is such a tough call. Start was horrible, but has slowly progressed except with a few meathead games. When you watch him skate and pass, he oozes talent. If he had a coach who could help him get his head straight and shoot more I think he would be a really good player. The R-D-B line has been fun to watch in the past few games.

I have a tough time in believing that Domi can't at least build some value back (trade or on-ice) that you wouldn't want to lose him for nothing. I guess it depends on how well he fit with the team off-the-ice. Sometimes those issues are irreparable and it is time to move on. I don't think think that's the case but I'm not in the locker room.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Domi seems like an easy call to keep next season. Laine isn't. I think that's Jarmo's big decision for this off season-and the UFA market.

Robinson would seem to be the biggest potential mistake in exposing. While I doubt he's Karlsson V2.0, I think his upside is greater than that of a Kukan.

Cam has a 10 team no trade list. I'll assume that he could include the expansion team on that. Can anyone clarify this?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Because if it is a LOFT problem, Nyquist is too old to be of much help by the time CBJ gets the LOFT problem fixed.
Maybe the LOFT problem is limited to the C position, but a) that still is a huge problem that will keep them from being PO team, let alone Cup contender; and b) I am worried that it goes beyond the C position.

Laine can shoot the hell out of the puck. He can pass when give space. He cannot drive play.
Cam is approaching the age of diminishing returns.
Jenner getting to that diminishing return stage, as much as I love his compete.
Foligno is close to done - great veteran, etc... but he is not talented any longer.

Bjorkstrand - talented. Top line talent.

Nyquist - Top 6 if healthy.

Who else is there that has shown they can handle/pass/score with any consistency whatsoever?
We lost our top 2 younger heavy bangers - the older bangers are on the way out, and the young kids are not ever going to be bangers. And they aren't showing enough skill yet either. Roslovic shows promise, but even he's 2 years away. Who else?

Yes, I understand that there are a few young players who need to further develop. Maybe they will, I hope they do - but they are a long way away. So what does CBJ do for the next 2/3 years?

Turtle, play D and rely on Korpi/Elvis/Tarasov with the current group and try to be competitive (Torts-style)? I'm ok with that for the next 6 games - the current coach/team still has to try to win, and that's all they have to offer to get W's. But in the long run, do they do that (hopefully not with the young group they have now, not built for that)?

Or do they re-build and change style of play/type of player as we transition out the core (which means a few lean years)? If its this rebuild, I don't see Nyquist as adding anything simply because of age. He's a good enough player for now, but I'd rather use his $$$ and value on attempts to find/develop C's using draft assets during those 2-3 years. He won't be useful by the time we get to the kids being ready.
I don't want to tank. Hell, I'd take turtling, D and goal-tending if that produces W's. Just feels like they are between a rock and hard place as far as the next 2-3 years are concerned.

I completely agree with your overall vision of this roster except that I might go a step further. I think this team at a point where it needs to be rebuilt and a piece like Nyquist really wouldn't be central to that although I understand your reasoning behind not exposing him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Domi seems like an easy call to keep next season. Laine isn't. I think that's Jarmo's big decision for this off season-and the UFA market.

Robinson would seem to be the biggest potential mistake in exposing. While I doubt he's Karlsson V2.0, I think his upside is greater than that of a Kukan.

Cam has a 10 team no trade list. I'll assume that he could include the expansion team on that. Can anyone clarify this?

No Trade Clauses do not need to be protected. I don't think it being a 10 team thing makes a difference.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Mock expansion draft 6.0: For the Seattle Kraken, now it’s getting real

Columbus Blue Jackets

The pick: Matiss Kivlenieks
The hardest call for Columbus is going to be what to do with Max Domi, who came over from Montreal in the Josh Anderson trade and had an underwhelming year. He earns $5.3 million and is UFA in 2022. It may well be the Blue Jackets that make him available to see if Seattle wants to take on that contract, which would further open up cap room on a team that’s already well-positioned to add via free agency if it chooses to do so. Dean Kukan would be another in a long-time of serviceable defencemen that Seattle could look at, but Kivlenieks is an intriguing option in goal. Elvis Merzlikins is exempt from the expansion draft; the feeling is Columbus will trade Merzlikins or Joonas Korpisalo at some point this summer because they have both Matiss Kivlenieks and Russian netminder Daniil Tarasov in the pipeline. Kivlenieks, at 24, could be a goalie of the future option for Seattle. Given the choices here, he might have the best long-term potential.
I'm not sure who spewed this garbage but not a chance in the world CBJ would consider exposing Domi, especially with only a year remaining on his deal. He'll garner a reasonable return at the deadline regardless (just from his name and draft position) so CBJ wouldn't risk losing him for nothing. I also don't see Kivlenieks as the pick as I'm pretty certain there will be more attractive (play or trade potential) options. It will be Kukan or Robinson unless they move a 1st for a player they would protect, then that changes everything.

Personally, as much as Cam means to the city, I struggle with his play vs contract situation. Tough one to pull the trigger on but if there were options.... I'd have to strongly consider exposing him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Great point about Atkinson's commitment to Columbus. While I don't buy that every player needs to do what you've said he's done,it's important that some do-especially for a non sellout environment which is still, in many ways, trying to establish itself in its market.

Atkinson does have a limited No Trade Clause. According to Capfriendly.com, he submits a 10 team no trade list may be able to include any expansion team and hence the draft for it. Or not. I don't know.
No Trade Clause doesn't matter for expansion, it's not a trade. No Move Clause would force their hand. Cam could be left unprotected if CBJ really wanted to. That's a tough call but I'm on the fence with it too.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Would need to be NMC. Cam has nothing holding him, contractually, in Columbus. CBJ has no contracts with NMC at this time.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure who spewed this garbage but not a chance in the world CBJ would consider exposing Domi, especially with only a year remaining on his deal. He'll garner a reasonable return at the deadline regardless (just from his name and draft position) so CBJ wouldn't risk losing him for nothing. I also don't see Kivlenieks as the pick as I'm pretty certain there will be more attractive (play or trade potential) options. It will be Kukan or Robinson unless they move a 1st for a player they would protect, then that changes everything.

Personally, as much as Cam means to the city, I struggle with his play vs contract situation. Tough one to pull the trigger on but if there were options.... I'd have to strongly consider exposing him.

I'd also consider exposing Cam.

I don't think Domi should be kept on. If you think Cam's production is an issue, well he has produced more than Domi, and he's not a defensive sieve. Domi was practically a no-show last playoffs and has been heavily outscored as a Jacket. He'd need to have a big bounce back to be worth anything as a deadline rental. Good teams look for great locker room guys to add for their cup run, they don't want wild cards.

More importantly we have to build a team that works as a group starting from day 1 next Fall. Domi is a coach killer. If we didn't already have another one in Laine I might chance it but I don't think we can build a tightly functioning hockey team with both of them.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Josh Anderson has 3 more points than Domi in 4 less games and he is still a minus player playing on a playoff team. I've seen posts saying he's having a good year in Montreal. Can't say I've seen any games so I'll take their word for it.

Yet Domi sucks, is a coach killer (Laine too) and the team should just cut their losses and expose him in the expansion draft because he has no value?

I understand he's a bad fit but cmon.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Josh Anderson has 3 more points than Domi in 4 less games and he is still a minus player playing on a playoff team. I've seen posts saying he's having a good year in Montreal. Can't say I've seen any games so I'll take their word for it.

Yet Domi sucks, is a coach killer (Laine too) and the team should just cut their losses and expose him in the expansion draft because he has no value?

What is most worried is the fact than everybody is ready to give up on Domi and Laine after a very bad season, without any training camp.

Let just be realistic, to trade any of Domi and Laine will mean getting relative little back.
I am the first to say that they are both over hyped by some fans.
But the question we must ask, is if they are improving their defensive play, since that is key to have the freedom to play a more offensive game.
Some games it seems like, some it don't. But Rome was not build in a year (or even in 100 years).
I think both Domi and Laines defensive play has seemed better in the last pair of games.

Let us see how it pan out.
I am however tiered of hearing Laine fans talk about him as the new Generation Super, super star. Or even just savor of this team. He simply isn't. Laine don't make the players around him better and has never done that. He is a third liner with some skills suited for PP, no more.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020

I am not seeing Domi as big of as a D liability as everyone is saying. I think he has improved and people are stuck on the old reputation. Laine is a D liability and should not be moving the puck up from the D zone.

Montreal fans overrate the players they love. They think Suzuki is the next Pavel Datsyuk. I do not see it and I think his points this year has been helped tremendously by the people he has played with.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'd also consider exposing Cam.

I don't think Domi should be kept on. If you think Cam's production is an issue, well he has produced more than Domi, and he's not a defensive sieve. Domi was practically a no-show last playoffs and has been heavily outscored as a Jacket. He'd need to have a big bounce back to be worth anything as a deadline rental. Good teams look for great locker room guys to add for their cup run, they don't want wild cards.

More importantly we have to build a team that works as a group starting from day 1 next Fall. Domi is a coach killer. If we didn't already have another one in Laine I might chance it but I don't think we can build a tightly functioning hockey team with both of them.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on how to use assets. You don't expose Domi with one year left and lose him for nothing. Seattle then flips him at the deadline (even if for a 2nd)...a terrible use of assets. You can still trade him if he's the coach killer, bad team guy, before the season starts. You still rid the salary and get some asset in return. There isn't a hard driving force to expose him and keep someone else. That's why I even considered Cam. He does have all the things you say and he's invested in the city. He also has a contract that, currently, is very unattractive to retain. Again, no pressure to move him but he's on the downslope and it has appeared it's going faster than anticipated based on his play. I mean for me, I don't hold him much higher than where Wennberg was when we bought him out. Wennberg was a very high level defensive player that couldn't thrive under Torts. Over paid and not offering much value beyond his defensive game (which he also provided as a Center). Is Cam's offensive game being crushed by Torts? Certainly he appears mentally strong enough to deal but he has 4 goals in his last 27 games and without his hot streak of 8 goals in 11 games he's been invisible the rest of the year. This isn't much different than the last 2 years. Is is still his ankle? Is he ever going to rebound...as he ages.

Again, if I'm exposing someone for HOCKEY reasons, it's Cam. Now, this isn't just hockey as you still need leadership and his commitment to the city also is a huge bonus. Tough, but if they did expose him I can't say it would be a complete shock, or disappointment.

Jan

Jan 30, 2021

Is he also -17?
I know +/- is not important to fans, but it is important to the players.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Was doing a little article surfing to try to find teams in a pickle for expansion and in many cases it's about protection of defensemen. Could lead to some interesting discussions for teams that want to keep 4 D but also have some good forwards. Two teams that are very interesting, to me, are Dallas and Minnesota. They both have unique situations that appear to ultimately leading to hard decisions on such players as Fiala, Greenway, Erickson-Ek, Faksa, Hintz and Gurianov. I can't imagine Hintz not being protected but both teams may be headed towards protecting 4 D, which means forwards will be available. They also have several players with NMC forcing their hand. A lot of time but certainly some interesting talent. And there will be others. These are just two teams that caught my attention looking at their rosters.

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Was doing a little article surfing to try to find teams in a pickle for expansion and in many cases it's about protection of defensemen. Could lead to some interesting discussions for teams that want to keep 4 D but also have some good forwards. Two teams that are very interesting, to me, are Dallas and Minnesota. They both have unique situations that appear to ultimately leading to hard decisions on such players as Fiala, Greenway, Erickson-Ek, Faksa, Hintz and Gurianov. I can't imagine Hintz not being protected but both teams may be headed towards protecting 4 D, which means forwards will be available. They also have several players with NMC forcing their hand. A lot of time but certainly some interesting talent. And there will be others. These are just two teams that caught my attention looking at their rosters.

I think what happens there is that the Wild trade Dumba and the Stars wait until after the draft to sign Oleksiak. Both will go 7F, 3D.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll admit that Domi has been fine lately at both ends. I'd like to give him a shot, who knows maybe he comes out hot when crowds return. My concerns are about the broader team construction and whether we have space for a player like this, whether we can handle another awful stretch like Domi gave us.

We're going to have a new coach coming in with some fresh systems. We need as many players as possible to listen to instructions and quickly follow them as a group. We can't have the coach say "everyone do A" and several guys each doing their own X or Y. My big fear is that we will once again have a team that is not united and far less than the sum of their parts, and next year will be full of excuses about it being the first with a new coach, etc...

We'll just have to agree to disagree on how to use assets. You don't expose Domi with one year left and lose him for nothing. Seattle then flips him at the deadline (even if for a 2nd)...a terrible use of assets. You can still trade him if he's the coach killer, bad team guy, before the season starts. You still rid the salary and get some asset in return. .

To me the opportunity to recoup a 2nd later is almost a non-factor when it comes to setting up next year's roster for success. It's also a mistake to say that losing someone to expansion is "losing them for nothing" when it saves us another player being taken, in this case the underrated Eric Robinson, who I'd happily trade a 2nd rounder for if we didn't have him, and who could just as easily fetch that kind of return at the deadline.

Now, if there is more interest in Domi this summer than I expect, and he returns an asset equivalent to a 1st rounder, then I get it. I'd make that trade and be willing to lose one of Kukan or Stenlund in expansion instead.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@Xoggz22

Some teams with too many forwards that I'd keep an eye on:

Winnipeg seems like they might trade Copp (who they can't afford anyways) and protect Appleton. If not then Appleton would also be a good target for a speedy checking forward.

St. Louis will have to expose 2 or 3 of it's best checking forwards. Sanford, Barbashev, Sundqvist. Sanford is a big power forward, I'd love to see our team with a guy like that.

Tampa will have to expose 1 or 2 of Ross Colton and Mathieu Joseph. We all know that Joseph is crazy fast, we could use another burner.

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We'll just have to agree to disagree on how to use assets. You don't expose Domi with one year left and lose him for nothing. Seattle then flips him at the deadline (even if for a 2nd)...a terrible use of assets. You can still trade him if he's the coach killer, bad team guy, before the season starts. You still rid the salary and get some asset in return. There isn't a hard driving force to expose him and keep someone else. That's why I even considered Cam. He does have all the things you say and he's invested in the city. He also has a contract that, currently, is very unattractive to retain. Again, no pressure to move him but he's on the downslope and it has appeared it's going faster than anticipated based on his play. I mean for me, I don't hold him much higher than where Wennberg was when we bought him out. Wennberg was a very high level defensive player that couldn't thrive under Torts. Over paid and not offering much value beyond his defensive game (which he also provided as a Center). Is Cam's offensive game being crushed by Torts? Certainly he appears mentally strong enough to deal but he has 4 goals in his last 27 games and without his hot streak of 8 goals in 11 games he's been invisible the rest of the year. This isn't much different than the last 2 years. Is is still his ankle? Is he ever going to rebound...as he ages.

Again, if I'm exposing someone for HOCKEY reasons, it's Cam. Now, this isn't just hockey as you still need leadership and his commitment to the city also is a huge bonus. Tough, but if they did expose him I can't say it would be a complete shock, or disappointment.
It`s very nice Cam is popular in the town but we need anybody who can be popular not only in Columbus. Sorry, but even Bjork can be this player. IMHO only Laine and maybe Jones or Domi (if he would play like Avery and even bad advertising is advertising). Every sport is business too.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The CBJ are a -48 as a team. Hell Seth Jones is -18.

My point wasn't to defend Domi or his stats. My point was that he isn't worthless.

It's not a team effect, Domi is perfectly capable of stinking it up without help.

The Jackets through 27 games were outscored 58-51 at 5v5.

With Domi on the ice they were outscored 17-7, and with Domi on the bench they narrowly won the battle 44-41.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It's not a team effect, Domi is perfectly capable of stinking it up without help.

With Domi on the ice they were outscored 17-7, and with Domi on the bench they narrowly won the battle 44-41.
It`s only one COVID-19 season. Again, one COVID-19 season in a new team in Torts system (btw we can say it about Laine too).

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

The CBJ are a -48 as a team. Hell Seth Jones is -18.

My point wasn't to defend Domi or his stats. My point was that he isn't worthless.

Sometimes I wonder if you post just to read your own comments because you certainly didn't read mine.

"It's not a team effect??????" The team sucked. And Domi was part of it. And why only cherry pick certain parts of the season to support your point? So be my guest and throw all of the researched stats out there that you want to make. I watch every game too. And any kind of stats only mean so much to me.

Your obvious extreme dislike for this player for whatever reason (professional or sometimes it sounds more personal) comes across in your posts. But please find someone else to debate this obsession with you because I have no interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->